Quantcast

2002 sportsman 700

Double check that its not a separate set of wires in the handle bar. As well as trace them to be sure they are disconnected.  Or do what I did. Reconnect  everything and then open the top cover on the throttle and run the bike. While is backfiring etc separate the contacts on the throttle control and see if it clears. Only reason I’m pushing this theory is it happened to my bike and solved the problem.

Could be the cdi but not my first choice.  I would do some testing first. Maybe test some devices like the  pick up coil for starters. Also the stator coil maybe do an ohms test as well look at the secondary ignition coil.  Sometimes the spark breaks down after the engine is hot or in your case maybe it’s happening right away.  There is a tool to see if  the spark is breaking down while the bikes running. 

Its a useful tool. 

I know we are talking about electrical items are you sure it’s not a foiled plug or a fuel rich condition happening ? Or timing ? 

Lisle 20610 Inline Spark Tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002STSC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ebj1CbF42SW39

489AEB9C-68EB-49CC-AC36-240F0FAAD8F1.jpeg

Have that spark tester. New plugs, old ones looked ok. Made no difference. Gave you cranking voltages of charge and pickup coils in first post. Went thru carb with fine tooth comb. Polaris updated that ign system in 2004 or 05. Timing is on speck. Had flywheel off to check for damage, (loose magnets, Burnt coils) looks good. At a loss

I read that you gave  the cranking voltages on the first post.

NOT cranking voltages.Ohms reading on the coils like a said in my last post. This will at least put the coils in spec.  This should also be done on the rectifier/regulator. 

I remember a similar topic on this and it turned out to be a pick up coil that was the problem. Is was a hair to far from the flywheel and on higher rpms is started to act up causing this problem. It was in the Polaris forum. I would not be surprised if it’s the same thing.    

It was a while ago but should still be in the topics section of that forum.  

Maybe @Ajmboy or @Admin can help us dig it up?

I believe it was the gap between the pick up coil and flywheel. There is a spec limit on that.  

You may have to take a look at your valves and rocker arms etc. It’s possible somethings going on in there.  The back fire and puff of smoke out of the carb all though sounds like a timing thing but I guess it can’t hurt to have a look at the top end to make sure it’s all proper and valves are opening and closing the right way. 

• 5 weeks later...

I had the exact same problem with mine. I replace the cdi and changed it over from DC to ac using a conversion kit I got from a shop in Canada but still had the same problem. A friend came over one day and we got to talking about it and he was like can I take a look, sure why not. He took the carb out and drilled out the brass plug for a needed that was underneath of it. Made an adjustment to it and put back in. It ran like it was new. No problems since, 70 mph, and felt like it even had a little more get up and go from a dead stop. Hope this helps, I could have saved a lot of money and time if he would have stopped over for a beer sooner lol.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By Clydaho
      2022 Sector 550, 414 miles on it and the gas gauge reads empty.  I topped off the gas and it didn't change.
      There is no fuse that I could find.  No access at the gauge cluster.
      Wiring on the top of the tank looks good, properly connected.
      Could the sending unit in the tank be stuck or broken?
      Has anybody removed the tank lid?  Any tricks?  
      Any other ideas?
      Thanks for any help,
      Clyde
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By kiriyaaoi
      Hello everyone, I just picked up an 02 LT-F250F the other day and have been in the process of tearing it down to fix some stuff- one of which was the cylinder base gasket leaking like a sieve. Well, I know why that is now, and I also discovered that someone had been in there before. I didn't take pictures, but it looks like it was probably run low on oil at some point, the cam journals and the "bearings" (for lack of a better term) in the head and the valve cover are totally wiped out, very deep grooves.  From what I know it's very difficult to repair aluminum in this way, so I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

1. Have someone grind down the head and valve cover and fit actual bearings in since the aluminum is screwed, and have the cam ground down to match.  I have no idea what this would cost.
      2. Buy a replacement head+cam+valve cover.

#1 I was hoping someone might have some advice on, but #2 seems like it'll (probably) be the more cost effective option.  However I'm running into some difficulty, it seems like the 2001 and 2002 models specifically use a different head part number,  11100-19B10, instead of  11100-19B01 like for all earlier models.  What exactly is the difference between them? There are obviously far more of the earlier heads because it ran for over 10 years.  Are they actually interchangeable? I've also noticed there are heads from the LT250EF that has 4 valve heads but also otherwise look identical.  Would those work as well possibly?  I'd like to not have to drop $500 on machine work or new heads on a $1300 quad that I'm already putting a bunch of new parts on.  Oh, and it has a new piston and the cylinder itself looks pretty good too, as I said someone was in here before me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics of the carnage tomorrow.