Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Andrew Baker

1998 Kawasaki Bayou wiring help

If it’s new it should be fine. What you should get is a reading on ohms setting, if not then there is a problem. 

I am looking at diagrams for you.  I will be in touch.   

It is not new. If fact, I think it is the original 1998 coil. I'm getting no more that 15.8 ohms of resistance. Should it not be more like 130 to 150? That's what it is on my buggy. But that is a1 50cc GY6.

Sorry it took so long I’m up hunting and it’s hard to get a good signal up here and the time to look. 
Attached is a page for the ranges of all the coils etc.   Also all the diagrams I could find. It’s about 6 of them and because you don’t know exactly what bike it is yours is then your going to have to compare each diagram until you find a match.   
Can you see the vin number clearly ? If so then post it. Maybe we can find out more.  

0E633852-5DA2-4ED2-8C9B-82388AC4BA8F.jpeg

EEEF28E0-BB8D-47C7-B089-61015939138E.jpeg

31FD9730-C370-4F11-9486-837E26BAB132.jpeg

6BA1916A-F2F2-4584-9205-43B0D3277670.jpeg

1B3362EE-D2A0-4F5E-955E-3AC57517DCF1.jpeg

F4A2F434-25D1-434E-8D38-F74E61B9CD49.jpeg

DED93B41-271D-40B0-9F99-EA8C5A14F23D.jpeg

50CCBDE3-9B00-4783-9F0D-5B6317ACB150.jpeg

Thank you for your help. So far I have it wired correctly but still no spark.  I know the pick up coil to be bad so I replaced it and yet still no spark. I have pretty much replace everything except the stator. Would a bad stator cause a no spark issue?

Absolutely 

The new stator will or should come with the pick up coil as well.   
Stators go bad from a few different things but mainly from trying to jump the bike with a car or welding on the frame without disconnecting the stator and installing the battery wires backwards.  

Thank you for your help. So far I have it wired correctly but still no spark.  I know the pick up coil to be bad so I replaced it and yet still no spark. I have pretty much replace everything except the stator. Would a bad stator cause a no spark issue? I'm getting 0.7 ohms of resistance between the yellow wires from the stator. 

Check each wire from the stator to the ground on continuity and see if you get a reading. One lead of the tester on one of the yellow wires and the the other lead of the tester to a good ground.  If you get any kind of a reading on continuity or ohms then there is a problem with the stator.  As far as the 0.7 I would have to see what the specifications for that atv call for. But do that test first and see what happens.  

All open line and no continuity. I'm so stumped. Now I will say that I do not have the starter relay on it. It is still in the mail. But I do have the white wire that goes to the relay hooked straight to the positive side of the battery

That white wire on the positive should send voltage to the harness.  Have you checked that it’s going through the ignition and feeding the brown ?

That plug is an accessory connector of some sort maybe a battery tender. If you look at a lot of the wiring diagrams it shown an accessory set of wires.  Check it for voltage with key on and off.   
Was it plugged into anything  or is it just hanging.  

Just hanging. I thought maybe the red recharged the battery. It looks to me like the battery get recharged via the white wire. Is this correct?

*EDIT* I see the terminals in one of the diagrams I have. I just missed because in my diagram it is toward the front of the vehicle.

Edited by Andrew Baker

Well then I'm still without spark. So, I know my pickup coil was bad. I happened to have one from a CN250 (GY6 style) that looked the same so I used it. I'm thinking maybe it just isn't working with that engine. I don't know what else it could be. I'm getting headlight, and indicator lights. My CDI should be good because I pulled one off of a Bayou 250 just one year newer. Same with the rectifier. I'm starting to dislike this ATV.....

I would start to pull the harness away from the frame and start to check for any cuts or broken wires.  

Then 
Start  checking continuity from one end of a wire in the harness to another. So locate  a brown wire and start checking for another brown wires and check continuity at each spot. 
Do the  same for all wires in the harness to make sure they are not broke.  
Understand or am I not clear? 

Perfectly clear. I'm mostly frustrated because I'm not used to having issues like this lol. I'm no bewbie to wiring at all. I have built several GY6 and CN250 builds and built custom harnesses by hand, as well as build several Honda's for racing and custom built those harnesses as well. So, in theory, this should have been a breeze. 

Been down this road a few times. I have come across more then a few pain in the asses.  
Now it becomes an obsession figuring this out.  And I want to know what the final result was so let’s see this through for the next member that has this problem.   
Somethings grounding this circuit out or it’s a bad cdi. 

Well, I now have spark! But only pull start. I hooked up my starter relay and tested it. It works, but nothing from the push button. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts. I get no continuity with the button unpressed and continuity when pressed so to me that means the button it good. Could this be a starter circuit relay issue?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By JacobSlabach
      Hey just picked up another scrambler 850 was told the tps was bad.  This atv has been beet to hell.  Wiring has been tinkered with the crankcase has been replaced recently and the motor rebuilt (can see horizontal scores thru spark plug hole where it’s just been honed out and rebuilt)
      my guess is it was ragged out till the motor blew a rod and rebuilt but the clown that did it couldn’t get it to run again and sold it.  When I bought it it would pulse and smoke black at idle and die with throttle.
      New tps installed and it won’t run period.  I went to celebrate it and I’m getting 5 volts on 2 of the 3 wires running to the tps.  Is this normal and if so how should I celebrate it?

• By Bryson Bailey
      Hey I have a Kawasaki buyou I put a new carburetor on it and a brand new spark plug coil and still firing up could you know what my problem is anyone please
    • By 1911Neil
      I had a quad fall in my lap a couple weeks ago. The only things I knew about it was it was a Kawasaki Bayou 220, was in pretty rough shape and was free. I couldn't say no to a fun little project. I've been looking a different ATV forums gathering quite a bit of info and decided this was the one I wanted to join.
      Thanks to this forum, I found the VIN under about an inch of mud and cross referenced it to be a '98. It had been sitting outside for at least 5 years and was told it ran when parked, but had no brakes. Squirrels or mice had been chewing on the handlebar controls and it's generally just kind of beat up.
      So far, I've gone through the carb (not near as bad as I expected), freed up the brakes (will probably need new cables), replaced the spark plug, air filter, petcock and put a new battery in it.
      The gas tank had been empty and looked clean so I put some fresh gas in it and tried to crank it today. I got a neutral light, but the starter button did nothing. I tried pull-starting it and it wouldn't fire. I checked the plug and wasn't getting a spark. I started digging and found some potential issues and some definite problems.
      I have a wiring diagram I found on here but it's just a picture or scan out of a book and hard to read. I don't see a reference to a black/yellow wire, which is my first problem.
      First, it that a factory crimp? One of those wired looks like it goes to the connector in the 2nd pic. Is that just a spade lug type connector? I pulled on it with some needle nose pliers but it didn't seem to want to come off. In the 3rd pic, should there be a fourth wire?
      I've read through and bookmarked the threads Andrew Baker and Arizona have going but I figured I needed to start with these obvious issues first. I have lots of pictures, so if there is something else you want to see, just ask. If I don't already have a pic, I'll take one.

• By Mike Strayhorn
      last year I bought led lights when I was riding my 4 wheeler the lights started getting dim shut off
      now my 4 wheeler will not start the battery is hot everything is dead I checked the fuse and its good 
      would there be another fuse I am missing I'm took the led bulbs out and replaced them with the ones that was in there 
      wonder what meh problem is