Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Andrew Baker

1998 Kawasaki Bayou wiring help

I need help with wiring on a 1998 (I think, 10th digit of the VIN was W) Bayou. I'm not getting spark, I'm pretty sure it is due to grounds being off because the harness is pretty hacked as far as the electric start and charging system goes. I'm needing a good wiring schematic. I found one online and there are a few things that don't add up on it so I'm skeptical that it is really for my year and model. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Hey @Andrew Baker welcome to Quadcrazy. So what’s going on with the harness you said it’s hacked up pretty good.  Do you know whats missing or disconnected etc ? I can help you out but need to know what’s left of the harness and where you need help. If you can, post a few pics of the areas that are hacked up and in the meantime I will get you a diagram to help you along so you can figure out what’s going on.   

22 minutes ago, Frank Angerano said:

Hey @Andrew Baker welcome to Quadcrazy. So what’s going on with the harness you said it’s hacked up pretty good.  Do you know whats missing or disconnected etc ? I can help you out but need to know what’s left of the harness and where you need help. If you can, post a few pics of the areas that are hacked up and in the meantime I will get you a diagram to help you along so you can figure out what’s going on.   

Thanks. So, the wiring that goes to the starter solenoid and the battery is snipped. It seems that the red feeds the lights and the Black/Yellow is ground. I know that one Black/Yellow, White, and Black will go to the solenoid, and IF the Red feeds the rear lights then that leaves 2 Black/Yellows. Is that the ground for the rear lights? I guess my main question is, would not having all the grounds prevent me from getting spark? I thought the spark would be generated directly from the flywheel trigger. But then again, most of my experience with this stuff is on cars and not ATVs. Especially non Chinese ones. 

Edited by Andrew Baker

Is it a 220, or a 300? Both are pretty much the same diagrams but I would like to be sure which one is for your bike because of the red wire for the lights.  

First things first do you have your dash lights and neutral lights working? If so great then let’s move on to the solenoid. 

On that solenoid there are three wires; white (comes from ignition key switch), Black (comes from the start circuit relay) that’s the relay that allows the bike to only start when it’s in neutral, and then the black/yellow stripe (general ground) 

Depending on what model the bike is the small red wire comes from the battery or from the switch on the handle bar. Either way it’s for the rear  lights.

Front lights are red with a yellow stripe if I remember correctly.  If you have a red wire near the battery then It goes to the positive terminal and should have an in-line fuse. 

I would have a tester or test light ready and turn the key on, put a tester on the white wire at the solenoid and see if it’s 12v+ If not then you have to go to the back of the ignition switch. 

The black/yellow stripe runs through the harness and is the general ground for everything on the bike including lights. 

Keep in mind that the start solenoid has a fuse on it also so double check that’s good before you do this and have an extra fuse or two. 

I’m heading upstate for the day but start there I will try to get back to you with a diagram once I know what size the bike is.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks. It's a 220. I don't have the ignition because it was taken off. However I have the brown and white wire connected to each other to complete the circuit. I do not have the starter relay yet. It is on order. I'll check back in once I have the stuff. 

Actually there is one other thing. I have seen a few diagrams and they all have 5 wire CDIs. My has 6 wires. I have a grey wire that has been cut. What is this wire for?

2 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

That grey wire goes from the cdi to the ignition switch.   

I don't see that wire in any diagram. Also, my ignition was only 2 wires. A white and a brown. Also, I have a 1999 Bayou 250 as a parts bike and it doesn't even have that wire. Can that wire be deleted?

Thank you. But could you please explain the ignition wires? I have a brown and white wire. when I hook up the ignition, the neutral light comes on like it is supposed to. Also my other quad does not have that wire. Thanks. 

This is the US diagram. Sorry about that mix up. You might have them wrong cdi if that’s what you purchased or that atv is the Europe model which I doubt.   

C4CB9D87-9500-49D9-835F-A52B1E6F382F.jpeg

it will be fine. Just need to figure out what diagram fits your atv. Can you post sole pics of the cdi and the ignition. Make sure there aren’t any wires that your  not seeing that may be disconnected?

Edited by Frank Angerano

Ok try to walk me through this. First of the CDI from my 250 had the same numbers on them as this 220. The 250 has no grey wire in the harness and the 220 does. My ignition that came from my 220 had/has a brown wire and a white wire. Now when I wire the brown and white together to complete the circuit, my neutral light comes on as intended. So it seems to me that this is correct. Also, that diagrams shows a yellow/red wire going to the ignition and I do not have a Yellow/Red wire up front. It's not even in the legend call out in that diagram either. Is the KLF different than the Bayou? 

2019-11-17.jpg

m.jpg

2019-11-17.jpg

Edited by Andrew Baker

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By JacobSlabach
      Hey just picked up another scrambler 850 was told the tps was bad.  This atv has been beet to hell.  Wiring has been tinkered with the crankcase has been replaced recently and the motor rebuilt (can see horizontal scores thru spark plug hole where it’s just been honed out and rebuilt)
      my guess is it was ragged out till the motor blew a rod and rebuilt but the clown that did it couldn’t get it to run again and sold it.  When I bought it it would pulse and smoke black at idle and die with throttle.
      New tps installed and it won’t run period.  I went to celebrate it and I’m getting 5 volts on 2 of the 3 wires running to the tps.  Is this normal and if so how should I celebrate it?

• By Bryson Bailey
      Hey I have a Kawasaki buyou I put a new carburetor on it and a brand new spark plug coil and still firing up could you know what my problem is anyone please
    • By 1911Neil
      I had a quad fall in my lap a couple weeks ago. The only things I knew about it was it was a Kawasaki Bayou 220, was in pretty rough shape and was free. I couldn't say no to a fun little project. I've been looking a different ATV forums gathering quite a bit of info and decided this was the one I wanted to join.
      Thanks to this forum, I found the VIN under about an inch of mud and cross referenced it to be a '98. It had been sitting outside for at least 5 years and was told it ran when parked, but had no brakes. Squirrels or mice had been chewing on the handlebar controls and it's generally just kind of beat up.
      So far, I've gone through the carb (not near as bad as I expected), freed up the brakes (will probably need new cables), replaced the spark plug, air filter, petcock and put a new battery in it.
      The gas tank had been empty and looked clean so I put some fresh gas in it and tried to crank it today. I got a neutral light, but the starter button did nothing. I tried pull-starting it and it wouldn't fire. I checked the plug and wasn't getting a spark. I started digging and found some potential issues and some definite problems.
      I have a wiring diagram I found on here but it's just a picture or scan out of a book and hard to read. I don't see a reference to a black/yellow wire, which is my first problem.
      First, it that a factory crimp? One of those wired looks like it goes to the connector in the 2nd pic. Is that just a spade lug type connector? I pulled on it with some needle nose pliers but it didn't seem to want to come off. In the 3rd pic, should there be a fourth wire?
      I've read through and bookmarked the threads Andrew Baker and Arizona have going but I figured I needed to start with these obvious issues first. I have lots of pictures, so if there is something else you want to see, just ask. If I don't already have a pic, I'll take one.

• By Mike Strayhorn
      last year I bought led lights when I was riding my 4 wheeler the lights started getting dim shut off
      now my 4 wheeler will not start the battery is hot everything is dead I checked the fuse and its good 
      would there be another fuse I am missing I'm took the led bulbs out and replaced them with the ones that was in there 
      wonder what meh problem is