Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Andrew Baker

1998 Kawasaki Bayou wiring help

I need help with wiring on a 1998 (I think, 10th digit of the VIN was W) Bayou. I'm not getting spark, I'm pretty sure it is due to grounds being off because the harness is pretty hacked as far as the electric start and charging system goes. I'm needing a good wiring schematic. I found one online and there are a few things that don't add up on it so I'm skeptical that it is really for my year and model. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Hey @Andrew Baker welcome to Quadcrazy. So what’s going on with the harness you said it’s hacked up pretty good.  Do you know whats missing or disconnected etc ? I can help you out but need to know what’s left of the harness and where you need help. If you can, post a few pics of the areas that are hacked up and in the meantime I will get you a diagram to help you along so you can figure out what’s going on.   

22 minutes ago, Frank Angerano said:

Hey @Andrew Baker welcome to Quadcrazy. So what’s going on with the harness you said it’s hacked up pretty good.  Do you know whats missing or disconnected etc ? I can help you out but need to know what’s left of the harness and where you need help. If you can, post a few pics of the areas that are hacked up and in the meantime I will get you a diagram to help you along so you can figure out what’s going on.   

Thanks. So, the wiring that goes to the starter solenoid and the battery is snipped. It seems that the red feeds the lights and the Black/Yellow is ground. I know that one Black/Yellow, White, and Black will go to the solenoid, and IF the Red feeds the rear lights then that leaves 2 Black/Yellows. Is that the ground for the rear lights? I guess my main question is, would not having all the grounds prevent me from getting spark? I thought the spark would be generated directly from the flywheel trigger. But then again, most of my experience with this stuff is on cars and not ATVs. Especially non Chinese ones. 

Edited by Andrew Baker

Is it a 220, or a 300? Both are pretty much the same diagrams but I would like to be sure which one is for your bike because of the red wire for the lights.  

First things first do you have your dash lights and neutral lights working? If so great then let’s move on to the solenoid. 

On that solenoid there are three wires; white (comes from ignition key switch), Black (comes from the start circuit relay) that’s the relay that allows the bike to only start when it’s in neutral, and then the black/yellow stripe (general ground) 

Depending on what model the bike is the small red wire comes from the battery or from the switch on the handle bar. Either way it’s for the rear  lights.

Front lights are red with a yellow stripe if I remember correctly.  If you have a red wire near the battery then It goes to the positive terminal and should have an in-line fuse. 

I would have a tester or test light ready and turn the key on, put a tester on the white wire at the solenoid and see if it’s 12v+ If not then you have to go to the back of the ignition switch. 

The black/yellow stripe runs through the harness and is the general ground for everything on the bike including lights. 

Keep in mind that the start solenoid has a fuse on it also so double check that’s good before you do this and have an extra fuse or two. 

I’m heading upstate for the day but start there I will try to get back to you with a diagram once I know what size the bike is.  

Thanks. It's a 220. I don't have the ignition because it was taken off. However I have the brown and white wire connected to each other to complete the circuit. I do not have the starter relay yet. It is on order. I'll check back in once I have the stuff. 

Ok great. I’ll have a highlighted diagram to take you through it. Btw amazon has that ignition switch if you need it. It’s like $15 bucks.  

Actually there is one other thing. I have seen a few diagrams and they all have 5 wire CDIs. My has 6 wires. I have a grey wire that has been cut. What is this wire for?

2 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

That grey wire goes from the cdi to the ignition switch.   

I don't see that wire in any diagram. Also, my ignition was only 2 wires. A white and a brown. Also, I have a 1999 Bayou 250 as a parts bike and it doesn't even have that wire. Can that wire be deleted?

Thank you. But could you please explain the ignition wires? I have a brown and white wire. when I hook up the ignition, the neutral light comes on like it is supposed to. Also my other quad does not have that wire. Thanks. 

This is the US diagram. Sorry about that mix up. You might have them wrong cdi if that’s what you purchased or that atv is the Europe model which I doubt.   

C4CB9D87-9500-49D9-835F-A52B1E6F382F.jpeg

This is even more confusing. On top of the fact that my ignition is 2 wires and not 4. My CDI box doesn't even have a 7 pin plug. Only 6. 

it will be fine. Just need to figure out what diagram fits your atv. Can you post sole pics of the cdi and the ignition. Make sure there aren’t any wires that your  not seeing that may be disconnected?

Edited by Frank Angerano

Ok try to walk me through this. First of the CDI from my 250 had the same numbers on them as this 220. The 250 has no grey wire in the harness and the 220 does. My ignition that came from my 220 had/has a brown wire and a white wire. Now when I wire the brown and white together to complete the circuit, my neutral light comes on as intended. So it seems to me that this is correct. Also, that diagrams shows a yellow/red wire going to the ignition and I do not have a Yellow/Red wire up front. It's not even in the legend call out in that diagram either. Is the KLF different than the Bayou? 

2019-11-17.jpg

m.jpg

2019-11-17.jpg

Edited by Andrew Baker

Should I be getting continuity between the 2 pickup wires? I do on all my other vehicles but not this one. Maybe bad pickup?

If it’s new it should be fine. What you should get is a reading on ohms setting, if not then there is a problem. 

I am looking at diagrams for you.  I will be in touch.   

It is not new. If fact, I think it is the original 1998 coil. I'm getting no more that 15.8 ohms of resistance. Should it not be more like 130 to 150? That's what it is on my buggy. But that is a1 50cc GY6.

Sorry it took so long I’m up hunting and it’s hard to get a good signal up here and the time to look. 
Attached is a page for the ranges of all the coils etc.   Also all the diagrams I could find. It’s about 6 of them and because you don’t know exactly what bike it is yours is then your going to have to compare each diagram until you find a match.   
Can you see the vin number clearly ? If so then post it. Maybe we can find out more.  

0E633852-5DA2-4ED2-8C9B-82388AC4BA8F.jpeg

EEEF28E0-BB8D-47C7-B089-61015939138E.jpeg

31FD9730-C370-4F11-9486-837E26BAB132.jpeg

6BA1916A-F2F2-4584-9205-43B0D3277670.jpeg

1B3362EE-D2A0-4F5E-955E-3AC57517DCF1.jpeg

F4A2F434-25D1-434E-8D38-F74E61B9CD49.jpeg

DED93B41-271D-40B0-9F99-EA8C5A14F23D.jpeg

50CCBDE3-9B00-4783-9F0D-5B6317ACB150.jpeg

Thank you for your help. So far I have it wired correctly but still no spark.  I know the pick up coil to be bad so I replaced it and yet still no spark. I have pretty much replace everything except the stator. Would a bad stator cause a no spark issue?