Quantcast

1996 Yamaha Timberwolf Rebuild/Repair

Chris Chitwood

Hi, I’m a 16 year old that is wanting to get more into vehicle and mechanic repair. My dad has an old ‘96 Timberwolf that he doesn’t remember running since I was born. I want to get it running again as a memory for him and to help us be able to hunt together, and of course so I can learn how engines work more than the little information I know now. I’ve pulled the carburetor and gas tank off of it, and the carburetor is getting cleaned by a friend. I can post photos of the condition it’s in later, I’m just curious where I should start in my journey to get it running again. The power switch is broken off of the handlebar, so I am looking into fixing it, along with the pull cord. I’m afraid the engine is seized up, and I’m curious to hear any input anyone has. Thank you all.

Edited by Chris Chitwood
Title correction

@Ajmboy Hopefully, if all goes as planned I will have the carb back around New Year, cleaned and ready to use. I’ll have to replace the starter switch, which I’ve researched and found a good price on. I’m not sure how old the battery is, but I can check tomorrow, I’ll probably replace it just to be sure I have a good one. I have one question though. I tried to initially start it with the pull cord, but when I tried the cord went slack and won’t pull back into the spool. I tried to take the screw/bolts out of the cover to remove it and try to fix the cord, but they were previously stripped. How should I go about pulling the cover off in order to fix the cord? Should I just cut a slit in it with a dremel, remove the screw, and find replacements? Thank you for your help.

Hey @Chris Chitwood welcome to Quadcrazy. 
Nice atv you got there. If the screws or bolts are exposed enough on the pull starter you might be able to grab them with a visegrip pliers.  But before you do that see if you can spray the inside with WD-40 utilizing the small red tube on the tip to get inside the pull starter and spray it good and let it sit. 
If the recoil spring is broke then it will need to be replaced but it just may be rusted inside.  

@Frank Angerano thank you for your advice. I sprayed the WD-40 like you said earlier in the day, and I just tried to get the cord to retract. I haven’t had any luck. I tried to use vice grips on the screws, but there isn’t enough room between the cover and the screw to do any work. I also tried to slit the head of the screw and use a screwdriver to remove it, but the metal is too soft and I still can’t get it loose. I am questioning whether I should cut the head off of the screw and use vice grips after removing to cover to remove the rest of the screw. I would appreciate any other ideas you have.

Give these a shot. Ive had some luck with em.  
Screw Extractor, [Upgraded Version][5 Pieces] Diyife Stripped Screw Remover, Damaged Screw Bolt Extractor Set, Speed Out Drill Bits Guide Set for Broken or Damaged Screws Made from H.S.S. 4341#, Gold https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D3N7NFP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WrvaEbGED4G7C

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By Suzukiquad
      I have a 97 Yamaha Timberwolf and it is beyond loud, is there any good options to silence them or at least make them bare able to drive. I know it has a crack in the exhaust pipe, but even with that fixed its still loud. 
    • By dhallftworth
      Hi everyone, I received a 98 Yamaha Timberwolf from my brother for free, and I'm working on getting it going. 
      I am having the following problem: 
      The engine is backfiring through the carb. 
      I have done the following to try and get the four wheeler running: 
      Rebuilt the carb and set the air screw to 1-1/4 turn out and the circlip at middle position 3
      Replaced the coil, because the cable was loose at the coil end
      Repaired the main ground, coming from the battery
      Replaced the ignition switch, because my brother couldn't find the key. New switch tested good
      Tested the kill switch and it tested good
      New coil tested goodfor both primary and secondary coils
      Pickup coil resistance is at 195, which is correct
      My source coil, is where I believe the issue is. The resistance is 310ohms, and it should be between 428-523ohms
      When I opened the stator housing, there was significant oil, which I have read is normal. Does it sound like I'm on the right track replacing the source coil? Could this be causing my backfiring issue? It looks like the source coil is part of the stator assembly, is this correct? 4BD-85510-20-00 STATOR ASSY