Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

00 trx90 pull start with new coil no spark

Aj Hurtibise

I have a 2000 Honda trx90 I got from a buddy for free he said it needed a carb so I put his old carb back on it to try to get something out of it and it does not have any Spark. I already replaced the ignition coil I don't know much about four wheelers but I am a technician so I do know my way around a motor any electrical help would be wonderful or specs I don't have the best digital multimeter either.

Start with the basic stuff, make sure there is not a safety tear away plug on the rear of the machine or on the handle bars.  Check the kill switch and wiggle it as well, maybe locate the wires for the kill switch and unplug them.  Do a continuity test on them and flip the kill switch for open and closed signal.   
After that your going to have to check/test the stator coil.  Unfortunately the cdi cant really be tested so you may have spring for a cdi if the atv is wort it.
But get a tester and pull the stator plug off and start by testing the three phases coming from the coil in the engine.  Phase to phase on ohms setting. Write the numbers down so you can compare them to the manual later.   The numbers between the phases should all be relatively close.  Then test each phase of the stator to ground. You should get an open reading. Any continuity between any phase and ground is an automatic fail on the stator. Start there and see what you get.  

3 hours ago, Aj Hurtibise said:

@Frank Angerano what do you mean phase to phase in electrical really isn't my forte but I do have a cheap  meter

The phases are the three coils that pick up the magnetic fields as the motor spins to generate electricity to run the engine, recharge the battery, and all the other electrical stuff. Here's an easy video on testing that stuff. A cheap meter is fine it should be able to test for ohms in this range.

• 2 weeks later...

@Frank Angerano so i got it running the N safety switch was bad so i grounded it out an fired up. A couple days later it had no spark at all i know the motor pretty much runs off the blue an yellow wire an the red an black wire. I believe the exciter coil maybe bad or the stator but the only wires coming from the case are the black an red an blue an yellow ( not eorried about 4th gear limiter) what reading should i get from those wire volts an ohms. Honestly the more detailed the better