Quantcast

1985 Yamaha Moto 4 230 CC wiring harness

Bdubb0227

I have a 1985 Yamaha Moto 4 230 CC the wiring harness is shot trying to wire up as a pit bike but everything I've seen says that the hot wire coming out of the stator is red and black there is no red and black wire coming out of stator please tell me which one is the hot wire out of the stator thank you.

• Ajmboy changed the title to 1985 Yamaha Moto 4 230 CC wiring harness

Do you know the exact model ? One of these wiring diagrams might help.

Perhaps if you tell us what colours you have it might help too. Someone may have one and be able to tell you straight off.

Other than that..  what do you mean by "hot wire" ?  It will have a trigger coil, and we can usually tell which one that is by it's high(relatively) resistance, and it may have cdi charging coils, or just battery charging coils. Both of those two charging windings have low resistance, about a half an ohm, give or take a half ohm depending on make and model. Trigger coils have resistance readings of between about sixty ohms, and two-hundred ohms, depending on make and model.

output.pdf

Did you look at those diagrams ? Any that had your colours ?

Did you try measuring the resistance of the windings ? If you measure the resistance I could make an educated guess about which is which, and tell you how to confirm/test them.

Which do you mean by "hot wire" ? There are battery charging windings, CDI charging windings, and there are CDI trigger windings..

Well as I've already explained the pulse/trigger coil has a high resistance, and all the various charging windings have low resistance readings. If you have an ohms gauge it's a few minutes work to figure which is the pulse/trigger winding. That plug with four wires is quite likely two wires for charging the CDI unit, and two wires that are the pulse/trigger windings. The trigger windings will have about sixty to two-hundred ohms resistance, and the charging windings will be low resistance, probably near or below one ohm.

I'd guess that the three white wires go to the rectifier.regulator and they are for charging the battery..  Check the wire colours at the regulator to confirm that, and/or use an ohm gauge to check for continuity from one plug to the other.

Even with the right diagram it won't tell you which pair of wires are for cdi charge and which are for trigger..  It tells you in the component testing section, but not the wiring diagram.

The easiest way to sort them is by using an ohms gauge..

Once you have the two windings identified, then you need to figure by trial and error which way around they go at the cdi. I don't mean which two pins are for trigger, but which pin is on the positive and which is on the negative wire. The trigger windings nearly always only trigger if they are the right way around(and on the right terminals), and the charge windings in some bikes are fussy about which way around they are.. 

Bd..  do you have a multi-meter ? If not you should get one from somewhere, they can be had for a very few bucks, and figure out how to check resistances with it. Then you just try two wires at a time seeing if they are connected, and if they are, what ohms reading the gauge says. Some two wires will be about one ohm, and the other two wires will be from sixty to two-hundred ohms. The one ohm set are to charge the cdi, and the other set of wires with the high reading are the trigger wires.

Then the other thing you have to figure out is which way around the two charge wires need to be when they connect to the cdi unit, and which way around the two trigger wires need to be around when they connect to the cdi unit. I'm assuming you already know which pin on the cdi unit is for which purpose. The way we figure which way around the wires need to be is that we connect the set of charge wires and the set of trigger wires and check if there is a spark with a known good coil and spark-plug, then, if there is no spark we swap one set of wires, the trigger wires, and we try again for spark, then if there is still no spark we swap the other set of wires(charge wires) around and try for a spark, and then if there is still no spark, swap the trigger wires around again. That way we've had both sets of wires tried both ways, on each of the other set of wire's possible ways.. we've tried every option.

If that doesn't get a spark, then we check all the wiring has no breaks or shorts to the frame, that the switches all work, and that there is some power coming out of those plugs down on the engine.

Edited by Mech

What do you have so far?  Do you have power, does you neutral and other dash lights work, does starter function by pushing the button. If all of this is working you should check your key switch, start/stop switch, check that you have 12 v and ground at cdi see if you have 12v going to coil.