Quantcast

how good is the kfx450

derrickjohnson

from wat i heard the KFX has held up very well. i love the way the frame geometry is shaped. only fault is that a couple pro national racers has cracked their frames but kawi fixed it in latter 08 models. remeber these guys are pros and all the frames cracked on flat landing 80-100' jumps, so it will definatly hold up to your abuse...

I havent heard to0 many complaints by Normal everyday KFX riders... but i've never been passed by one.. I've always been passing..:prod: i've never rode one tho.. the ones i raced against seem kinda sluggish.. may have a lil to do with their weight.. the aluminum frame was meant to decrease weight, but in trying to strengthen it up it in turn ways more.. :confused: i've also saw a brand new one on the side of trail because on of the front arm bolts broke beside the frame on a smooth fire road..:skeptic: he said that he was just cruising.. and next thing he knew he was over the handle bars............ What part of the geometry of the frame do you like?? The bottom a'arms are very close together which is a plus,(longer a-arms= better handling and ride) but the caster is strange with factory a-arms so they are really twitchy at high speeds and it wont track straight in the rough stuff which can make for an interesting spill.... but it also makes one extremely nimble in slow speed tight trails..

what type of riding do you do most??

thats exactly wat i like about the frame. how narrow the frame is and how long the a arms are.

another fault to the kfx is in some cases the EFI will make the quad a bit of a b*tch to start. so if your racing xc or something or any racing that starts with a dead engine you might need to reconsider. as far as i kno suzuki is working on a mechanism for the ltr's EFI to make it start easier for chris borich's quad, so this same mechanism will be eventually made for the KFX. again i have only heard from ppl about these problems i myself have never experienced them.

thats exactly wat i like about the frame. how narrow the frame is and how long the a arms are.

another fault to the kfx is in some cases the EFI will make the quad a bit of a b*tch to start. so if your racing xc or something or any racing that starts with a dead engine you might need to reconsider. as far as i kno suzuki is working on a mechanism for the ltr's EFI to make it start easier for chris borich's quad, so this same mechanism will be eventually made for the KFX. again i have only heard from ppl about these problems i myself have never experienced them.

by the way... check out the frame on the new YFZr between the a-arms..:biggrin: and it's engineered right:wink:

one of the main problems Borich is having with the lt-r is efi not engaging quick enough.. most everybody has heard this issue, but another issue that is not discussed about his quad has a kick start.. he has to kick twice from what i've heard(i'll stick with the happy button=0).. I've raced an LT-r in the last 2 races.. it fires right up every time after the second turn of the the motor, as long as i dont mash the gas before it hits... :shoot: i cant wait to see how Yam's new EFI will be like!

• 1 month later...

How about a review from someone who actually owns one? Kawasaki built the thing to be a woods racer (hense the 46" wide wheelbase and reverse). With some money dumped into, it is a very potent MX quad. The factory gearing is really short. Outside and inside the transmission.

I have an 08 KFX with -2 rear sprocket on it and it still is slow, top end. I had it pinned WFO and i'd guess 60MPH out of it. But it accelerates like a beotch. And first gear is really tall so it likes to stall if you're not clutch happy. Factory suspension is fantastic. Suffers from minor body roll, factory stem is 1" too low. Factory foot pegs are too narrow.

With some bolt-ons. The quad is an excellent machine. It's small and light with a very nice power curve and smooth power.

• 1 year later...