Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Something electrical

rhull

Hi Guys,

I bought my son one of those chinese ATV's. Ran really good. Ran into a problem. He was riding it in the snow and when he went to put it away for the night, I went to hook it to the battery tender which screws right into the quad near the battery. It was full of snow and ice from riding. I made the stupid mistake of sticking a screwdriver in to remove the ice, touched the screwdriver to 2 of the 3 prongs at the same time and it made a huge spark and ever since the quad will do nothing at all when i hit the electric start. battery connections look good and I can't find any fried wires. The brake light won't even come on when i pull the levers. What the hell did I do?

• 1 month later...
The first thing I would do is, see if there are any main fuses or fuseable links that shorted out. Next, I would contact the manufacturer about obtaining a wiring diagram.

What is the actual make and model?

It is a roketa 110cc utility. I tried starting it with the battery from my quad and got nothing, so I don't think it's the battery. Its battery says full charge on the tester. CDI box, maybe?

something similar happened to my lawn mower battery although the wires connecting to the battery look fine the copper wire itself underneath the rubber housing was a dark black and it burnt it somehow without melting the rubber housing, u might want to check and see if the positive and negative lines r still good.. and again i agree with everyone else check the fuse for it

something similar happened to my lawn mower battery although the wires connecting to the battery look fine the copper wire itself underneath the rubber housing was a dark black and it burnt it somehow without melting the rubber housing, u might want to check and see if the positive and negative lines r still good.. and again i agree with everyone else check the fuse for it

Thank all you guys for the responses, i will check all these areas and let you know how it turns out. In the meantime keep all the ideas coming.

If you don't already have one, get a multi-meter or even a test light. Start at the battery and check all the curcuits to find where you lose current. Check for power at the key switch, the kill switch, the coil, the starter and any possible point between those things and the battery. The problem is most likely in your primary electrical system somewhere(battery, cables,switches) not in the secondary ignition,(cdi, coil, stator). Now that is not to say that you didn't fry them too, but you need to get power to the bike before you can diagnose any further problems. Like you were already advised, fuses and fusable links are the first thing to check. Outlander suggested you check the primary battery cables, also a good thought, if the cables are fried, they will act like a resistor and drain the battery. Google "voltage drop test" this will tell you how to check some of your electrical circuits. Also check for wires with melted insulation, you could have over heated a wire and created a dead short somewhere.

I merged this thread with your original thread you posted last month.

Edited by DirtDemon