Quantcast

2005 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 will not idle, backfires

ac500

issues with a/c 2005 500 4x4 atv, will not idle,back fires and bogs out when throttle is touched,have to keep pumping throttle to keep running--- things done dealer rebuilt carb- i changed air filter ,plug, changed gas, this machine has 45 hours on it. any ideas would be helpful

welcome to quadcrazy...you said "will not idle,back fires and bogs out when throttle is touched,have to keep pumping throttle to keep running"

a little thrown off by this..so when you say pump the throttle are you referring to pumping the throttle prior to starting or while it is running? Also did you bring it to the dealer with this problem or after they serviced it did you have this problem?

My best guess from the info you have the engine is being starved of fuel and the carb needs to be adjusted. Probably the wrong fuel to air ratio,,,but thats a maybe not totally sure yet

sorry if i wasnt clear, ..issue started like this- was driving and it acted like i was running out of gas--had to keep pumping throttle to keep it running...got it home noticed gas running out of bottom of carb on to engine.so i took carb off(figured stuck float),cleaned carb and put back on ,stopped the gas from running out bottom but still ran the same. so figured carb issue,,,,took carb to dealer- they rebuilt,,,tested carb--said carb works perfect....so i put back on,,,still ran the same,,,still have to keep pumping throttle to stay running....so i changed plug,airfilter..still no change...the point im at now is..will start after pumping the throttle couple times,,,will idle.but as soon as i touch throttle it tries to die and back fires. but if i pump the throttle faster and faster it will pick up and run ????????

****fixed***** WELL ENDED UP TAKEN IT TO A DIFFERNT REPAIR SHOP,COST ME 200$ TO FIND OUT THE DEALER I TOOK CARB TO- PUT THE CARB BACK TOGETHER WRONG. SO NOW IM BACK UP AND RUNNING...THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS AND SUGGESTIONS.

I would take a reciept from the second repair back to the first dealer and DEMAND that they refund your money.