Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

2003 Arctic Cat 500 auto rear seal problem

I have a 2003 Arctic Cat 500 Green automatic. I have just put in the third seal in the front where the drive line goes into the rear end. Put it together spun the tires, while it was up on the stand and no leakage. Took it out for 1/2 mile test ride and I'll be dammed if it wasn't leaking again when I got back. First time I replaced the seal I didn't use OEM. So I ordered two seals from Arctic Cat and Hubby replaced the second one. He isn't as mechanical as I am so thought he messed up. I spent 3 hours on replacing it this time. Made sure all parts were cleaned and fit good. Now it is leaking again. Am I missing something here? Is there a vent for the rear end that may be plugged and causing excess pressure to make the gear grease run out around the inside of the seal? I am open for suggestions.:aargh:

Dream Car Giveaway

There is a vent, it comes out of the right hand side of the diff at the top if you are looking at it from the rear. It wouldn't hurt to check that first, but I think you may have a bad pinion bearing, if the bearing is worn, the shaft will wobble around and wallow out the seal. A worn thrust shaft and/or collar may do the same thing. Either way, I would dig into the diff case and check for worn parts if it doesn't turn out to be a vent problem.

Edited by DirtDemon