Quantcast

03 Prairie 360 4X4 rear shock problem?

prairiedog

Hey guys,

New to the forum and atv's so I may ask ALL KINDS of questions! :confused:

Just traded for an 03 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 that seems to bottom out in the rear REAL EASY! I'm a bit of a large guy, but it seems to sag pretty good with normal size family members. When the suspension cycles in the rear, just by pushing on the rear rack, the shock makes a LOUD hissing sound like it's not got enough fluid or something. Any ideas or do I just need a new shock or is this normal???

Thnx

Welcome aboard! Sounds to me like the shocks need replacing. The coils could also be week.

Try looking at the OEM schematic at Bikebandit: 2003 Kawasaki KVF360 OEM Parts, 2003 Kawasaki KVF360 OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

Try checking ebay also: kawasaki prairie shocks items - Get great deals on eBay Motors, Brakes Suspension items on eBay.com!

Thanks guys, kind of figured that was the problem. My bro's 300 fourtrax doesn't squat as far as my prairie when he sits on both, so I kind of figured that was the problem. Besides oem, any thoughts on a stiffer shock/spring to use since I am a larger fellow?

Thanks again.

There is this one that you can get from Bike Bandit, they claim to have better load handling capacity than an OEM shock, and is priced a bit cheaper than the OEM shock.

Progressive Suspension 512 Series ATV Rear Shock - BikeBandit.com

Elka also makes aftermarket shocks for your machine, and they can be custom tailored for rider weight and riding style, but they are not cheap. You might be able to find a company that can make you a custom coil spring for a decent price.

There is this one that you can get from Bike Bandit, they claim to have better load handling capacity than an OEM shock, and is priced a bit cheaper than the OEM shock.

Progressive Suspension 512 Series ATV Rear Shock - BikeBandit.com

Elka also makes aftermarket shocks for your machine, and they can be custom tailored for rider weight and riding style, but they are not cheap. You might be able to find a company that can make you a custom coil spring for a decent price.

Thanks bunches dirtdemon that is exactly what I was looking for. I have been looking at the OEM shock but didn't want to go that route. The progressive shock on Bike Bandit looks like just what I was looking for. Thanks guys for all the help. Got new tires on their way and now order this shock and I'll be ready for my first "REAL" trail ride! CAN'T WAIT!:biggrin:

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys just a quick follow up, the Progressive Suspension shock did the trick. Gained a little over 2 inches when fully loaded and as you know in the scale of ATV's 2" is a big difference. Thanks for all the help took the Prairie on it's/my first trail ride and had a BLAST! Can't wait to go again! Thanks again for everyone's help.