Quantcast

1999 Polaris 400 Sport Pulls Right, Wheel Alignment?

myork1967

I just purchased a 1999 Polaris 400 sport. I noticed that when riding, I have to stear to the to the right a bit to get it to go straight.

I have looked and it appars that the tires are fine, but I am thinking and God I hope I am wrong, is that the steering post is bent. (The bars were when i got these 2 inches to far to the right...)

If in worse case, how much of a pain in the rear (work wise and pocket) would it be to get this corrected?

Everything else runs like a beast....

My boy called and said that one of the bushings going into the rear of the right side A arm is busted. From what it looks like, they smacked something hard. There is some damage to the rightside rim.

I am thinking it's a combination of that and maybe a bent tie rod. I am going to "attempt" to adjust it hopefully tonight.....

Edit: You Beat me to the answer. Get that bushing replaced if it is damaged.

I would measure the toe in on the tie rods. Maybe it is just out of alignment. You can also fix the problem by adjusting the tie rod ends and leave the stem twisted. The owners manual should state the exact toe in but I keep fooling with mine until it rides the way I want it to.

Edited by swampcat07

If the bushing is bad you need to replace it. and then try to algin the front end make sure if you adjust the tie rod make sure each threaded end has enough threads in the adjustment sleeve. If the tie rod is bent that means your going to be increasing it's length you don't want one end hanging onto just a few threads and hit a bump or jump and have it come apart. It's better to fix it right and be safe if it's bent I would replace it for safety reasons.

If the bushing is bad you need to replace it. and then try to algin the front end make sure if you adjust the tie rod make sure each threaded end has enough threads in the adjustment sleeve. If the tie rod is bent that means your going to be increasing it's length you don't want one end hanging onto just a few threads and hit a bump or jump and have it come apart. It's better to fix it right and be safe if it's bent I would replace it for safety reasons.

What he said :iagreec:

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By Drillbit
      Hey all,
      I need some input on a problem I'm having with my Kodiak 400 that keeps fouling plugs. First off, I've done a lot of work to this thing, most of it all in good fun. Brake work, cv joints, u joints, carb kit, checked valve lash, compression good, changed all fluids, etc... My problem is it keeps fouling plugs very quickly. I can put a new (manual recommended plug) in and it starts right up, runs great, idles great, picks up good. Doesn't stutter at all. I ride it for 1/2 a mile, it cuts off and won't start back up. I let it sit overnight thinking maybe it got to hot. Try to start it the next day, nothing. Put a new plug in, fires right up, runs great for another 1/2 mile or so, dead. The plugs come out and look carbon fouled with dry black soot on them. I don't know if this is a fuel/air mixture problem or a ignition problem. A couple of things that I noticed is I never need to pull the choke out to start it. Also, when it starts it automatically idles high like an automatic choke would do, then it comes back down to a good idle. Also I noticed that the air/fuel mixture needle valve screw does nothing when I adjust it in or out. I can screw it all the way closed and the motor still runs and idles good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost leaning to a ignition breaking down the plugs??
      Thanks! 
    • By kantrud97
      Hello i have a 2005 Bombardier Outlander max xt 400, i recently split the case to fix a oil leak. while in there i took out the oil pump and i cant find the torque specs for the oil pump to go back in, i tend to over tighten everything so im trying to go be the torque specs so i dont break anything.

Thank you in advance
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.