Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

vncowboy

2005 Arctic Cat 400 Starting problem

Howdy,

Just got this outfit only has 230 mi. following issues encountered:

1) when cold start wont start unless i take air fltr off and restrict air intake w my hand then she will fire but have to thumb the throttle till she warms up >after warm easy start. runs like bat out of hell cold or warm w plenty of pwr. maybe?: elect choke...??? saw on other forum someone replaced w Buell carb used on HarleyI think w manual choke?? while idling when warm she occasionally pops. dont know if elect choke is working have tried lever on right side of carb but no effect (torn diaphram?) JUST GUESSING!!!!!

2) front cv boots cracked and need replace. ordered boots. when i take off wheel, brake cal., etc will the spline drive shaft just pull out from differential or is there a lock ring holding the inner knuckle to the diff. ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

vncowboy, Any time you have to hand choke something to me that would indicate no fuel getting to the motor via the fuel system. And being you say it only has 230 miles on it indicates to me that most likely it has set too long causing the fuel to go bad and clogging the fuel system. I would suggest pull the tank and give it a good cleaning add and or replace any inline fuel filters and if the problem still exists pull the carb and clean it thoroughly then add a rebuild kit and check for any cracked or damaged diaphragms. And if yours has a fuel pump I would also check the output of that as well. Hope This Helps!

Thanks much for ur reply. Couple questions:

1) how do I know if my atv is a 400 act or 400 fis?

2) how do I test functionality of auto choke electricly? Everything else is working as it should.

3) would it damage the carb/engine if I sprayed (sparingly) BG carb cleaner in the air intake as a last ditch effort before overhauling/replacing carb. I have already put a few oz of seafoam in the gas tank which actually did help a little bit?

4) any info on removing front axles from differential as noted in 1st post in this thread ?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks much for ur reply. Couple questions:

1) how do I know if my atv is a 400 act or 400 fis?

FIS is "Fully Independent Suspension" if you have cv joints and two springs in the rear, it is an FIS model.

2) how do I test functionality of auto choke electricly? Everything else is working as it should.

It is not an electrical part, the warming of the engine shuts it off.

3) would it damage the carb/engine if I sprayed (sparingly) BG carb cleaner in the air intake as a last ditch effort before overhauling/replacing carb. I have already put a few oz of seafoam in the gas tank which actually did help a little bit?

Try a stronger dose of Seafoam, it may clear the problem up. I have done this with good results. I also add a dash of Seafoam every other tankful.

4) any info on removing front axles from differential as noted in 1st post in this thread ?

Here is a step by step guide with pictures. I used this guide myself

CV Boot replacement with pics - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

since last post been running fine after cleaning carb jets > last week started getting rough again, cleaned jets again and noticed dripping gas out of valve (off,on,reserve). thought it was loose gas line but when took off valve handle noticed gas dripping out of valve body. little metal washer behind cover plate doesnt appear to be compressing correctly. went down to hwd store got a o-ring put it behind valve plate then reinstalled 2 small screws > stopped leaking but cant turn valve handle because rubber o-ring gripping the plate. runs great now but if I dont keep eye on gas level (no guage) then ill be walking out of the Big Horn mtns. Any ideas.?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Michael Aiken
      Where can I find a wiring diagram for my 2005 450 Kodiak. Thanks.
    • By Mo Salem
      So my front hub broke, I’d like to put aftermarket on. Hard to find new oe ones. Please help. I’m new to all of this, I have some car knowledge and try to apply it
    • By oxidized_black
      tag : zukifreak

• By LMI
      Was using the quad the other day to shuttle wood from my pickup to my wood pile.  When the job was done I turned off the Quad and heard a bit of a racket from the front end.  When I got down underneath the sound seemed to be coming from the fan housing.  fan was moving in spurts and not quickly... much like a computer case fan that's had it's day.  What I know.
      Temp sensor is ok, as the fan tries to activate fan is getting some voltage as it is attempting to spin.  When I first bought it used I tested the fan direct to battery and it was fine. The fan was working ok even not direct wired as I went on a couple of rides and when stopped and idling the fan did run Seems to be free spinning with my finger read up in the manual and they require me to drop the rad.  now I'm not opposed to that as the rad has some damaged areas I want to try and straighten out.  But if I can get the fan working without, I can leave the rad as it is until next year.
      Fan assembly is about 300 bills, any work arounds or alternatives?  I even thought large computer case brushless fan.  smaller ones are about $7 larger ones better quality probably far below the 300.  They run standard 12v DC.
      Anything I should be doing before dropping the rad... other than check for obstructions even though it seems to spin, and trying to hardwire it to the battery again for a test to see if it acts the same?
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html