Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1989 Kawasaki Bayou 300 Questions

Andrew520

Got a good deal on an 89 bayou 300. Couple questions. First is in the picture I have posted. Note the two wires at the bottom of the pic (white and black/yellow). They were not hooked up to anything and Im not sure if they are supposed to go to the battery or somewhere else and what they are for.

Second question is I had the carb apart for a cleaning. The vaccum operated slide has a spring under the cap with a plastic clip that goes inside the spring. Is there a proper location inside the spring for that clip. Right now it is just below half way inside the spring.

It runs alright but keeps fouling the plug. Pulled the plug off, cleaned it and dried it off and it starts back up but not sure how long before itll do it again, last time it was about 20 minutes of riding and it bogged out and wouldnt start.

unnamed.jpg

When the plug fouled I had the mixture screw turned out 1.5 turns from seated. Should I tighten it a bit to lean it ou?. I'm sure it uses a little oil as it does smoke a bit, not excessive though.

As far as those wires go, I installed a new CDI and new Rectifier and it is still charging around 16V .. Looks like the black/yellow wire that IS connected to the battery ground goes to the Rectifier. I can't find the other ends of these wires hanging out anywhere like where a winch might of been. Lights work.

The plug is new and is a DR7EA (hotter than the manufacture recommended DR8EA?)

Edited by Andrew520

One more thing to add to my post above, I just did a compression test and has 155 PSI of compression.

I guess my most important issue is understanding that vaccum operated slide and the correct location of that plastic cap thing that fits inside the spring. I wonder if maybe that needle could be causing an overfueling problem.

Edited by Andrew520

One more thing to add to my post above, I just did a compression test and has 155 PSI of compression.

I guess my most important issue is understanding that vaccum operated slide and the correct location of that plastic cap thing that fits inside the spring. I wonder if maybe that needle could be causing an overfueling problem.

i think there are 5 slots on the needle, stay in the middle (3rd), thats probably where it is now. the overflowing will be the result of a dirty needle and seat at the float ...

if you think the needle and seat are good, check the tang tab on the float, it may need to be bent abit to close off the fuel. there should be a measurement in the carb section for float height in your manual ...

• 5 years later...

Have you tried to pull the spark plug out, turn the key on and test for spark by pulling the starter cord? There is or should be a compression relief lever on the right side of the top of the cylinder head. 

Have you checked the kill switch? 

If all of that checks out there is a neutral safety switch you would locate and test with a piece of wire. 

On the left side of the engine where the shifter is, on the top of the motor casing cover in that area you should see two wires coming out of the engine. One is red and one is a light green.  Unplug the green wire and put a jumper wire from that green on the harness side to the black (negative) terminal on the battery or any good ground point on the frame. 

Turn your key on and see what happens.   

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Im in desperate need for a service manual for this machine. i just installed new carb but am having issues with wiring as i think something got disconneceted on my last ride. once i shut it off, it wont start back up. no power to nuetral or reverse light but power is still going to headlights when i turn key on. i did notice 2 wires red and blue that dont seem to be connected to anything but come from the rear cdi box. help.

Hey @Todd Michael welcome to Quadcrazy. 
Check your neutral safety switch and make sire its working.  
Its  a light green wire going into the side of the engine just above the shifter.  Its a light green and red wire. Green is for neutral light red is for reverse light.  
All you need to do to test this is to put a jumper wire from a good ground source to the light green wire and turn the key on.  
If the dash lights come on then the problem is at the neutral safety switch. 
Make sure the atv is in neutral. If you press the start button and the bike is in gear it will roll.  

let me know. 

• Like 1