Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

quinnkaeb

yamaha kodiak 400 !help needed!

i have recently purchased a yamaha kodiak ultramatic 400cc. it is used and sat outside for a long time. i have done a lot of work on it and got it to run sort of. when i try to start it, it will start and run for a little bit then it will die, the time it runs varies. it has a new cdi, spark plug, and stator. most of the time it wont even start it just cranks over. there was one time that it started up right away and ran perfectly but the next time i tryed it wouldnt start. before that one time every time it started and ran it had a popping sound. i cant figure out why it wont run. any help would be muchly appreciated! thanks!

I had one of these Yamaha Kodiaks but a 450 and after it sat for a while, the float pin in the carb became corroded causing the float to be stuck up. It would startand run out of fuel in the bowl. I would check your carb.

When it's just cranking, spray some starter fluid into the air intake. If it starts, it's fuel starved.

* Topic moved to Yamaha ATV forum.

• Like 1

I put in a brand new carb and the new carb came with extra jets. Should I check jets? Could it be the starter?

Sounds like ajmboy is right on point with this. Question why did you change cdi, stator etc? No spark issue? Reason why I'm asking I went through the same problem with my electrical system "Yamaha" and replaced the same components. Thanks to the help of this forum. However after I Installed the new stator the bike started right up but seemed to run really weird, starting not starting etc so I put the old cdi back in and the bike fired and ran perfectly. Turns out the new cdi did not work correctly with that bike even though it was for that bike but not an oem part. And did you change the coil going to the plug? Shot in the dark but I found mine cracked. Just a few points to check out. 

Having said all of that I'm going to agree on the carberator problem.  I recently took mine apart twice and found the first time I missed a few spots while cleaning. Def take that float needle out and clean it good and a trick I use is taking an old bicycle brake cable and separating the strands cutting one strand off about 6 inches long and use that to get inside the small orafaces of the carb and use the small cans of compressed air that you buy at any local stationary store to blow out he small ports it comes with the small tube to attach to the nozzle.

Hope this helps. Good luck. 

• Like 2

I replaced the Cdi because of spark issues. The ignition coil is good. The carb is brand new, could it still have problems? The stator was replaced by the last owner. I checked it and it was good.

3 minutes ago, quinnkaeb said:

I replaced the Cdi because of spark issues. The ignition coil is good. The carb is brand new, could it still have problems? The stator was replaced by the last owner. I checked it and it was good.

Did you try the starter fluid test just to make sure its not fuel starving? You had mentioned that it would start and then die out, that's usually lack of fuel

• Like 2

How did you check it? Has to be ohms test not voltage. If you go back and look at some of my old posts I asked the same questions about the stator testing. If someone jumped started that bike or welded on the bike as I learned here on the forum can damage the stator. It will still make voltage! Don't be fooled. But simplify this entire spark issue by checking for spark. Pull the plug put it on the ignition wire and test for spark while cranking the engine. If spark is there that's a huge relief! 

• Like 1

I have not tried the starter fluid yet. I did test ohms and it was good. And yes I do have spark. By the way, thanks for all you guys input.

• Like 1

Since it is a new  carb it should be  ok, but check to be sure fuel is getting to  it. Tank  valve  could be  blocked or partially  blocked.. crap  could be in the  line , if you  have a fuel filter  on it ,  check it is not plugged .

For those  working on  cleaning  carbs and jets :  instead  of  using  a piece of copper wire  or a strand  from  cable ,  go to  a  welding supply  store  and  buy  a set  of "tip cleaners"  they  will  have various  sized  cleaner  wires  that  fit  pretty  much every  size orifice  you'll  find  in the  carbs.  They're  much  more convenient  and better  for the  job.

• Like 2

Wow well it's narrowed down to the carb and intake. Having spark is a huge battle relief. Try the spray if it fires then clearly a fuel delivery issue. Quick question new carb oem or aftermarket ? Does it have a brand name? Sometimes the aftermarket ones are garbage. 

If the carb turns out to be ok then maybe look at the manifold that the carb is mounted to. Maybe a blockage ? 

It is not oem, the oem carb was $500 so I got one on amazon. I forget the brand name. Thanks. I will try the starter fluid.

I feel your pain $500 is a lot for a carb. $29.00 you get a complete rebuild kit comes with the set screws, seals, jets etc. just saying but I'm a little Leary of the aftermarket carbs. 

Definitely a carb issue. The setting are not set right. Almost sounds like it is running lean. Check the float setting first to see if it is getting the fuel into the bowl. Also, is there a rubber boot from carb to motor? If so look for a tear or hole. That will make it run lean also.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Steven Urban
      First time using this forum.  Owned a Kawasaki dirt bike once, had no issues.  But I picked up this 4 wheeler at an auction.  They stated it ran, but only needed a battery.  Well I do not believe that was all true.

Some pictures are attached.  Not sure why, but the whole air filter stuff was removed.  They had some small thing inserted as a make shift air filter.

I purchased a battery to try this all out.  Waiting to return it and get the proper size, as it was too big for the battery box.  But here is my issue I had while the battery was connected.

1 - The lights on the steering column did not come on.  Not sure if they work or not.

2 - The starter solenoid seems to be bad.  I have a new one on order. 

3 - In the pick, there is another rusted part.  Not sure what that part is or what it is used for.

4 - What is the 12v rectifier?  square bodied part.

So when I hooked the battery up.  Pushing the start button did nothing.  Pulling the cord to try and pull start, it turned, but would never fire.  I have put in a new spark plug as well, it looked worn out.  With electric start, I crossed over the posts on the start solenoid, it turned over, but would never fire and start.

I have read a few other threads and it stated something about needed the neutral light on.  SOmething about a kill switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

• By Ajmboy
      Disconnected the plow yesterday on my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and am getting ready to do some riding yesterday and the battery went weak, Starter cranked a few times but week. Put my trickle charger on that I bought and went to the garage today to start it up, but the starter is just spinning and not engaging. The solenoid is clicking. The pull start sucks and is hard to pull (never use it and need to look into that). Quick video of the starter spinning. Could it be the starter or  the starter clutch one-way bearing? I guess I need to take the cover off to see what's going on.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Starter Spinning.mp4
    • By Rigo Mena
      I have a Kawasaki bayou 220 that won’t start I don’t know if it has something to do with the electrical wires but when I put the screwdriver on both bolts of the relay it wants to crank but can’t and there’s a missing piece I think it’s another relay that has 6 wires going into it
    • By StolenATV
      My Children’s 50CC Yamaha ATV was stolen from just outside the garage. I did a little custom work to the front of it and added two LED headlights to it as well as a switch to the plastic handle bar cover. Our home sits well off the road and it was not something that was just in plane site so my fear is that this was planned over time and the thieves knew we had it and were just waiting their chance. We also had a 20 inch bike that was stolen as well, we were able to recover it however about a mile down the road as it was left abandoned. We didn’t know it, but we think the bike may have been taken a few days earlier. Now sure if both items were taken by the same person or just a coincidence Thanks for any help you might be.
      The post Yamaha 50 CC Raptor ATV Stolen appeared first on STOLEN 911.
      View the full article
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Admin
      Yamaha Australia has announced it will discontinue selling Utility ATVs due to new Australian government legislation that requires the mandatory fitment of so-called Operator Protective Devices (OPDs), YMA will not sell utility ATVs after the government compliance deadline of 11 October 2021.
      “The decision to make the fitment of OPDs compulsory is disappointing. The ruling has forced us to withdraw utility ATVs from the Australian market because as a manufacturer we are not willing to gamble with our customers lives by bolting untested devices onto our specifically engineered and designed ATVs,” explains YMA Director Brad Ryan.
      As the market leader in this segment, Yamaha recognises that utility ATVs are an important part of farm operations and will comply with stage one of the new consumer legislation. This includes testing and the fitment of warning labels by Oct 2020. This will ensure that Yamaha ATVs remain available until October 2021.
      After this date customers will not be able to purchase a new Yamaha utility ATV in Australia – but sport and youth models will continue to be available. This is because new sport and fun ATVs do not need to be fitted with OPDs. In addition, side-by-side vehicles (SSVs) are not affected by this ruling, so YMA will support our utility ATV dealers and ease the transition from ATV to AG bike and SSV business.
      “Fortunately, our utility ATV customers can transition to our equally capable lineup of AG bikes and expanding SSV range,” adds YMA Director Brad Ryan.
      Customer safety has always been our priority. YMA has provided market leading rider training and promoted proven safety methods. YMA also helped develop the Shark ATV helmet which is the only fully certified farm safe ATV helmet available. YMA feels so strongly about customer safety that purchasers of new Yamaha utility vehicles will receive a free Shark farm safe helmet valued at $250 while stocks last.
      YMA is also fully committed to customer care via a national dealer network that will continue to service ATVs and with the supply of parts and accessories into the future.
      Source: https://www.dirtaction.com.au/yma-to-discontinue-utility-atvs/
    • By Milsparro
      Howdy y'all. Just bought myself a 2004? Yamaha 400 with electrical Gremlins aplenty. Runs good (after jumping the starter solenoid relay terminals with the helpfully included with the sale pliers) but no fan when my wife's 03 Kodiak 400 had fan and the starter button makes it to the starter solenoid but the ECU side isn't happy. This seems to be a lively forum with manual downloads being supported so hi.
      Oh yah, and you can get two Kodiak 400s on a 5x8 trailer... I bought a nice 14' trailer as soon as possible after this.

• By Nate Hanson
      I am a new atv owner...I bought a used atv this summer (pretty sure it is a wolverine but reg card from last owner didnt actually say that so idk for sure). It ran great for most the summer and early fall but one day I tried starting it and it turned over a while without starting and then suddenly it quit turning over at all. No click or anything.
      I charged battery and light turns on showing neutral and heatlight can go on.
      A few other things that may be pertinent: The pull start is missing, I have a fluke multimeter but not many other advanced tools (or relevant experience), there is an extra aftermarket led light attached to front but it doesnt work either... never looked into why since I didnt need it. 
      I looked for a fuse box and didnt find one.
      Please recommend some easier things to try first as I really want to avoid taking it in if I can (having one income and 4 kids can keep out extra cash, plus I want to learn). Pictures would be awesome if possible. Thanks! 
    • By Jay Reddick
      Hey guys, need some help with my 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 4x4.  Was riding and it started smoking below the air box and then Caught fire.  We got the fire put out quickly with a fire extinguisher.  Many of the wires below the air box got damaged.   I purchased a new wiring harness for the atv and replaced that as well as any other damaged cables or parts that burned up where the fire was.  I also replaced the regulator, the ECU, and the starter solenoid. I also replaced the stater since some of the cables that went to the regulator were damaged.  It acts like it will crank but it won’t turn over.   The fuel pump initialized when I turn the key so it’s working.  I’ve spend $1500 on parts and no luck yet.  Any suggestions?