Quantcast

yamaha kodiak 400 !help needed!

quinnkaeb

i have recently purchased a yamaha kodiak ultramatic 400cc. it is used and sat outside for a long time. i have done a lot of work on it and got it to run sort of. when i try to start it, it will start and run for a little bit then it will die, the time it runs varies. it has a new cdi, spark plug, and stator. most of the time it wont even start it just cranks over. there was one time that it started up right away and ran perfectly but the next time i tryed it wouldnt start. before that one time every time it started and ran it had a popping sound. i cant figure out why it wont run. any help would be muchly appreciated! thanks!

I had one of these Yamaha Kodiaks but a 450 and after it sat for a while, the float pin in the carb became corroded causing the float to be stuck up. It would startand run out of fuel in the bowl. I would check your carb.

When it's just cranking, spray some starter fluid into the air intake. If it starts, it's fuel starved.

* Topic moved to Yamaha ATV forum.

• Like 1

Sounds like ajmboy is right on point with this. Question why did you change cdi, stator etc? No spark issue? Reason why I'm asking I went through the same problem with my electrical system "Yamaha" and replaced the same components. Thanks to the help of this forum. However after I Installed the new stator the bike started right up but seemed to run really weird, starting not starting etc so I put the old cdi back in and the bike fired and ran perfectly. Turns out the new cdi did not work correctly with that bike even though it was for that bike but not an oem part. And did you change the coil going to the plug? Shot in the dark but I found mine cracked. Just a few points to check out. 

Having said all of that I'm going to agree on the carberator problem.  I recently took mine apart twice and found the first time I missed a few spots while cleaning. Def take that float needle out and clean it good and a trick I use is taking an old bicycle brake cable and separating the strands cutting one strand off about 6 inches long and use that to get inside the small orafaces of the carb and use the small cans of compressed air that you buy at any local stationary store to blow out he small ports it comes with the small tube to attach to the nozzle.

Hope this helps. Good luck. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, quinnkaeb said:

I replaced the Cdi because of spark issues. The ignition coil is good. The carb is brand new, could it still have problems? The stator was replaced by the last owner. I checked it and it was good.

Did you try the starter fluid test just to make sure its not fuel starving? You had mentioned that it would start and then die out, that's usually lack of fuel

• Like 2

How did you check it? Has to be ohms test not voltage. If you go back and look at some of my old posts I asked the same questions about the stator testing. If someone jumped started that bike or welded on the bike as I learned here on the forum can damage the stator. It will still make voltage! Don't be fooled. But simplify this entire spark issue by checking for spark. Pull the plug put it on the ignition wire and test for spark while cranking the engine. If spark is there that's a huge relief! 

• Like 1

Since it is a new  carb it should be  ok, but check to be sure fuel is getting to  it. Tank  valve  could be  blocked or partially  blocked.. crap  could be in the  line , if you  have a fuel filter  on it ,  check it is not plugged .

For those  working on  cleaning  carbs and jets :  instead  of  using  a piece of copper wire  or a strand  from  cable ,  go to  a  welding supply  store  and  buy  a set  of "tip cleaners"  they  will  have various  sized  cleaner  wires  that  fit  pretty  much every  size orifice  you'll  find  in the  carbs.  They're  much  more convenient  and better  for the  job.

• Like 2

Wow well it's narrowed down to the carb and intake. Having spark is a huge battle relief. Try the spray if it fires then clearly a fuel delivery issue. Quick question new carb oem or aftermarket ? Does it have a brand name? Sometimes the aftermarket ones are garbage. 

If the carb turns out to be ok then maybe look at the manifold that the carb is mounted to. Maybe a blockage ? 

Definitely a carb issue. The setting are not set right. Almost sounds like it is running lean. Check the float setting first to see if it is getting the fuel into the bowl. Also, is there a rubber boot from carb to motor? If so look for a tear or hole. That will make it run lean also.

• 3 years later...

I just recently bought a 2000 kodiak 400 4x4, used. They guy said it needed a cdi box. So I bought one off ebay. I installed it and it started turning over but wouldn't crank. Changed the spark plug and checked for a spark, wasn't getting one. So I bought a new coil and installed it. Still doesn't show im getting any spark.