Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jquest

Tips on painting atv plastics

I just picked up a raptor and the plastics are all faded. I would like to repaint them but not sure where to start. What are the steps to paint my plastics? I want to make sure the paint will not damage especially if I  spill gas on it. Thanks I’m advance!

I would imagine it would paint just like an automotive plastic bumper.  You'll have to use a plastic adhesion promoter then prime and paint.  Use a good catalyzed automotive paint and it should be resistant to gasoline.  

• Thanks 1

I saw your question yesterday and came across this just now. I think it depends on the quality you prefer when the paint is dry. 

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

• Like 1

I’m new so not trying to make anyone irratated but I hate painted plastics. I have had to strip too many to restore the old bad plastics underneath. A little work and you could have decent plastics. There are numerous ways to improve appearance depending on the current condition. And the best is all paint will chip off at some point and look even trashier than now.

Like redmastercraft said, with the addition of a flex additive in the primer for a little extra insurance.  I had good luck painting plastic auto bumpers with no cracked or peeling paint after about 5 years.

I think you should start with spray paint and paint the whole body. Please share the images as well when done.

Posted (edited)

Flex agent and a quality auto paint and primer is all you will need. I prefer bulldog. You can spray it on the panel first to be used as an adhesion promoter, then mix it with the primer and paint and its a flex agent. If you don't have a paint gun, the Harbor Freight purple gun will suffice for this kind of job. 

Edited by Wacker
derp

On 7/14/2018 at 10:39 AM, Quadtriumph said:

I’m new so not trying to make anyone irratated but I hate painted plastics. I have had to strip too many to restore the old bad plastics underneath. A little work and you could have decent plastics. There are numerous ways to improve appearance depending on the current condition. And the best is all paint will chip off at some point and look even trashier than now.

Do have any links or direction on learning a good refinishing technique? My 5yr old took a screw driver to the plastics on one of our quads; not deep or gauged but enough that it looks a bit crappy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2005 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 won't start

Hi guys, trying to get a quad running again. It was running fine but the electric start did not work. My uncle was using it and the pull start snapped. So I replaced the pull start and electric starter motor. Now it just cranks and cranks but will not start. I have spark, I have fuel to the carb, I know this is a 2 stroke with a separate oil tank, what else should i check?

By TheJester517, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • 1999 Suzuki King Quad lt-F300F Hard to start

Hello Just signed up, as I've had a recurring problem, and need some help. To start the bike I have to put the choke on all the way and 4 squeezes on the gas, Then as I push the start, I slow squeeze the throttle about half way for it to catch....If I miss it, then it will take 5 mins of slowly finding the sweetspot on the choke in unison with some throttle squeezes. Then I have to to hold the throttle to keep the bike going, using the choke will stall it out. after about 3 mins of holding the throttle, I then can let it go, and it idles fine, and runs fine. If it sits for a few hours it's only slightly hard to start, but a few days of sitting, and it's a lot more work. Had the bike serviced they couldn't figure it out. They swapped peticock, plug, new gas, all new lines, new throttle, and cable. Said the carb was fine, and clean. New air filter, said fuel pump was fine, no leaks around carb boots, new battery, new rectifier. Ran some sea foam through it....Runs Great.....Just such a pain to start... Thanks

By RichUncleSkeleton, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • 2008 Arctic Cat 250 no start with electric start

I have an 08 250 that will not spark with the electric start. Starts great with the pull cord. I've replaced the stator, checked and cleaned all the electrical connections. Even with the booster on it won't spark while the button is pushed. Any ideas?

By bigguy101, in Arctic Cat ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • 1987 Yamaha moto 4 will not start

Went to replace battery, then put the old one back on instead. Seeming as it didn't quite fit, I moved the battery on its side, and moved the wiring around a bit. Screwed connectors down into the terminal, now it won't start. Battery has charge, lights work,  but I hear clicking coming from the electric start, and the pull start will not work either. Could it be a bad wire or a wire that shorted??? it just worked right before I went to replace the battery. 

By Warren Miller, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • 1996 Yamaha 350 4x4 No Start

Has new top end, piston, rings, valves, etc. great compression, good spark, plenty of fuel. Valves have been set. timing has been tripled checked. Can not get it to start. any ideas suggestions on anything I am missing. Also if anyone has the service manual it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

By oleskool, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 5 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By New2quad
      I cant find replacement plastics for a yamoto 70cc quad... i have searched high and low. I appreciate and help. Thanks!
    • By serious3
      my big bear 400 has lived all its life outside in horrible weather, the plastics are in good shape but very faded scruffy looking, is there anything i can put on them or use to restore them to their former glory?

• By James_P
      OK. finely finished the new paint job! and installed a new snorkel and new rear rack. hows it look?

• By wolfdogs2
      I have a 06 king quad 700 that is all black in color. I have been thinking about painting it with camo paint.
      What is the best way to go about this?
    • By mechanike
      anyone need to change their color? ,,,,,,,,used to be multi colored. Rust-oleum makes a Fabric and Vinyl spray paint in 10 colors, picked it up at autozone,,,,,,its been over a month of direct sun,rain,dirt, still good shape,,,,,,,.