Quantcast

Tips on painting atv plastics

I just picked up a raptor and the plastics are all faded. I would like to repaint them but not sure where to start. What are the steps to paint my plastics? I want to make sure the paint will not damage especially if I  spill gas on it. Thanks I’m advance!

I’m new so not trying to make anyone irratated but I hate painted plastics. I have had to strip too many to restore the old bad plastics underneath. A little work and you could have decent plastics. There are numerous ways to improve appearance depending on the current condition. And the best is all paint will chip off at some point and look even trashier than now.

Flex agent and a quality auto paint and primer is all you will need. I prefer bulldog. You can spray it on the panel first to be used as an adhesion promoter, then mix it with the primer and paint and its a flex agent. If you don't have a paint gun, the Harbor Freight purple gun will suffice for this kind of job. 

Edited by Wacker
derp

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 10:39 AM, Quadtriumph said:

I’m new so not trying to make anyone irratated but I hate painted plastics. I have had to strip too many to restore the old bad plastics underneath. A little work and you could have decent plastics. There are numerous ways to improve appearance depending on the current condition. And the best is all paint will chip off at some point and look even trashier than now.

Do have any links or direction on learning a good refinishing technique? My 5yr old took a screw driver to the plastics on one of our quads; not deep or gauged but enough that it looks a bit crappy.