Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Dan Tressler

EPS Problems on 2018 Sportsman 570 SP Hunters Edition

I have a 2018 Sportsman 570 SP Hunters Edition. I bought the quad new in August of 2018 and put around 20 miles on it with no issues. In early January of this year the quad was acting as if it had a bad battery even though it had been plugged into a tender. I checked the battery and it tested well so I took it to the dealership for warranty service. They had it for almost a month. They determined the quad had a bad EPS unit and swapped it out. Then they told me that the wire for the EPS needed to be updated as they could not program the new unit with the old wire. After the wire came in dealership told me they were still having troubles programming. After another week and a half they told me that they had consulted several times with engineers from Polaris and found a workaround and that the quad was ready for pickup. I contacted Polaris to inquire about the warranty being extended as it was in the shop for a month. They extended the 6 month factory warranty for an additional 3 months. I picked the quad up and the dealership said that the 2018 SP editions were known to have issue a with the EPS units but believed that they had fixed mine. I had it back for around a month and took it out a couple times for short rides and everything seemed fine. I parked it again for a few days and when I went to start it same issues (acting like the battery is no good and won’t start, when I jump start no power steering). Took it back to dealership and waiting to hear what the diagnosis is this time as well as their plan to fix this permanently. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues similar to mine or can give me some advice. Thanks in advance!

That's an interesting situation and I'm curious what they come back with. Its sounds like something with the EPS is grounding out or discharging the battery. 2017 sportsmans do have a recall on the EPS units

https://www.polaris.com/en-us/recalls/off-road/polaris-recalls-sportsman-due-to-crash-hazard/

polaris needs to get with the game lol, I know the new models have problems here and there- but what can you expect when everything is electrical?

They replaced the voltage regulator and so far it’s been working fine again. Maybe the first EPS unit fried it somehow when it went bad, Idk. I’m just hoping this is the end of my problems with it. 

I hope so too. I just bought a 2018 570 sp and have been looking around at common problems in case they ever come up on mine. I have seen a few times around the web that the voltage regulator goes bad on them. Dont have much time on mine yet though so well will see how it goes. Thanks for the reply. 

After replacing the starter solenoid, the "brain", and the fuel pump on my 2017 450 sp. HO I gave up and it's now gone. No eps involved.

13 hours ago, mothrottle said:

After replacing the starter solenoid, the "brain", and the fuel pump on my 2017 450 sp. HO I gave up and it's now gone. No eps involved.

what was it doing?

i think its hard when a company (any company) starts making a new model of atvs to get all the parts bulletproof on the first try...every model is different and polaris has to make new parts for each..  I think before long the 450, 570, 850, and 1000cc will be just as reliable as the old 400 and 500cc that were ruled the first class atvs in the world in their day....

just remember, if a product is totally garbage, no one would buy it and the manufacturer would go out of business.  the exception is with the chinese atvs that are just so dirt cheap that folks cant resist.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      got 7 atvs off CL recently for a good price.  one of which is a yamaha warrior.  anyone know where the vin is printed on this bike?  Haha good place to start as I do not know year or size yet.  The former owner says needs exhaust ans and clutch work.  he said it ran fine until the clutch cable broke and then I couldn't get the new cable adjusted right and it would grind gears.  things I see:  clutch cable locked up again, no brakes, carb leaking (green with algae around the bowl and has gelled gas stalagtights on it), aftermarket exhaust melted the airbox so I need something different and a new air box.  I would like the use the current exhaust if I can but I have a feeling its a redneck fix as it looks like there is an ace bandage holding it to the exhaust pipe (its an aftermarket slip-on exhaust), so I'm not sure about that- lets get the bike running first.  also, battery (looks brand new, what a shame) is dead, 0 volts.  Otherwise, bike looks to have not been wrecked, and plastics are ok (it sat outside under a 'tarp' for 3+ years since it was run last).  any tips and advise on where to start first would be awesome as this is my first clutched bike (manual).
      the clutch is my main concern- I've never rode a clutched bike so I dont even know what its supposed to feel like.  lol I'm spoiled on my automatic polaris 
    • By Kelby 746
      I have a 1987-89 (not sure on the year) Kawasaki bayou 300 that has electrical issues, I have replaced the entire harness with a proven good/used one, new CDI box, and two brand new coils, problem is that it tests no charge at the pickup coil, so I replaced and tested again with a so called good one that had been salvaged out of a blown up 220/250 (not sure which, the left side cover is smaller than my 300) in Missouri. It has a proven good OEM stator. I am trying to avoid buying a new start and pickup coil because it is so expensive so if anyone has a suggestion please let me know.
    • By Brittany Jones
      Yes I just got a 1998 polaris xplorer 400 4x4. Ran fine after hauling then died. Cleaned carb and put new fuel filter, hose, and new battery in. Starts 3 out of 10 times but will only run for a short time. Any suggestions?
    • By bryanta0502
      Hi, im looking to increase the power of my 1995 king quad 300. I was wondering what other people are doing to increase the power of their quads. Are there any big bore kits, would putting bigger jets in the carb do much? Just wondering what I could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • By Shane Pillar
      Talk about what kind of atv you have and what you do with it.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Kevin Vlogs
      Does anybody know how to determine which of the 2 key blanks fits my ATV. I have called several dealers, and Polaris and nobody seems to know which key fits which ATV. I thought with the ViN number they could look it up, but apparently not. I hate to spend the money at Polaris for a key blank and then pay a locksmith to cut it, but the locksmiths around me don't have the Polaris keys in stock. I find them on Amazon and places, but I can't tell which key blank is right for my ATV. Any help would be appreciated.
    • By RAYAR
      Something I've noticed with the AWD on/off operation. When AWD switch is in the on position and the AWD light is on (trans engaged), turning the AWD switch off kills the engine. With trans in neutral, AWD light is off, turning switch off does not kill engine. Since I don't have the operators manual yet, I'm wondering if this is normal operation?
      Thanks, Ray
    • By Georgeann Stricklin
      View File 2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI EPS Owners Manual
      2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI and Sportsman 570 EPS Owner's Manual for Maintenance and Safety
      Submitter Georgeann Stricklin Submitted 06/10/2019 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By Georgeann Stricklin
      2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI and Sportsman 570 EPS Owner's Manual for Maintenance and Safety
    • By weblex
      Problem: The ATV starts and runs at idle perfectly. But as soon as I open the throttle, the engine starts to slow down until it stops. On the attached video you can hear the sound of how it works: see video below
      Prehistory: there is a Polaris Sportsman 500 1998, which for about 1.5 years stood in repair, including also replacing CDI with one taken from the same ATV. Finally, the vehicles were on wheels, traveled several kilometers and overheated - forgot to fill the antifreeze Came back home in small moves. The next trip started well, but after 10 km there was a feeling of a small drop in power (even as the vehicle got warm completely) but still drives. Next trip - the situation is repeated. The next test of ATV through time and a huge loss of power from the very beginning. The engine sneezes, does not want to go more than 5 mph.

What has been done: the carburetor has been replaced with a new one (inexpensive, $ 40), a new spark plug, a new ignition coil, the engine head has been removed, the piston is in good condition, valves were corrected - but the problem was definitely not in them.

Ignition control unit is suspected. Who faced similar? Please help in solving the problem.
      Thanks in advance.