Quantcast

Which one to keep

So as most of you know already. I have an 06 kfx400 that is mint. It's a blast to drive and I've had so much fun with it. It's manual too.

Then I picked up this 99 Polaris xplorer 400 4x4. It needs work and a few things fixed but being who I am it will take me less than a week. It's automatic.

Do I keep the 2wd or the 4wd. One I can make money with. The other is seasonal. I have to sell one. So what do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes sir. I'm into the sports quad getting stuck too. But with M.S. I have to think in future prospective. If I have trouble now, what's to say I won't be okay in 5 years.

As far as sale. I can get 1500+ for my kfx. 900 on a good day for the Polaris. Yeah it needs work, but that doesn't stop me at all on my decision. We have quadcrazy people to help me if I'm jammed up.

• Like 1

I would.....fix that 99, ride it and get a feel for a 4x4.  You may find that power and climbing ability as well as some speed may suit you better.

It’s not the rapid response of a 2wd speed demon but it will climb, pull, not get stuck kinda ride along with the plowing ability.  

If you like it then sell that 99 for a profit and buy another and upgrade as the summer goes and before you know it you will have a newer 4x4 to roll around on.

If you fall in love with the 4x4 life and sell the 99 for some profit and sell your 06 you will have a nice stack to buy a 2014 or better 4x4 prob with a plow ! 

I used to be the 2wd two stroke maniac. I’ve changed and very happy.  

What’s to say you can’t pick up a two stroke to putz  around on once in a while anyway should you get the itch?  I’m sure there’s tons out there.  

I dont think its fair to compare a (more) top-of-the-line sport atv to a ancient 2-stroke utility quad.  If I were you, I would sell both and get a newer utility/sport quad.  I would get a sportsman as I love them, but you do you.  I've found that my 500 will accelerate as fast as I want (and it has a worn out belt)... even about made me pee my pants first time I pegged it and held straight to like 50mph in a couple seconds..

Thats one thing I admire about sportsmans... got the rack and build of a utility quad and then drives like the scrambler

the xplorer is 2 stroke right?  just now realizing I might have it mixed up with the expedition as well...

Why a full rebuild ? If it was flooded with water you can drain it all out and soak it in fresh oil for a little bit.  Espically if your pulling the head anyway. As long as there aren’t any holes in the engine it may have just been under water. Did you notice if the exhaust  was full of water? 
Because of crank bearings. I did drain the coolant which was green. The oil is watery but black. The exhaust had water in it. If I have to change the crank. I might as well put new it it.

And yes Jacob. It is a 2 stroke.

I hear ya but I still think that the crank should be fine with a good oil soaking.  Reason I’m saying this is I’ve resurrected an engine that was sitting in water.  New piston, rings and soaked the lower half in oil for a week while waiting for parts. That son of a bi*** ran like hell.  But if it’s not that bad to split open then go for it.  

The wrist pin is what holds the piston to the connecting rod. That’s been known to wear along with the bearing over time and should be changed with the piston and rings along with the two clips that hold the piston in place.  The main bearing is obviously more important and should NOT have play up and down.  Side to side is ok. If that’s the case and the main has no play up and down then your good and only should soak the lower end buy over filling it with oil and letting it sit. 

If that’s the case then yes the bearing is shot or on its way out. I thought you were only opening the engine up because you found water.  If that bearing has play up and down then the engine will knock when it runs.  That is a main bearing and it’s pressed in place. You will need to have that done at a machine shop or buy a new crank assembly.   I don’t think it’s called a wrist pin off the top of my head but I’ve been wrong before.