Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Dave2012

Polaris 550 EPS Sortsman 2012 charging issue

Hey guys, new to the page from Australia. Just wanna know if  anyone has had an alternator charging prob if using an auxillary piece of equipment eg spray unit. New battery, and cant seem to catch the alternator playing up, reads all good on outlet power.Just doesn't keep up the charge only when using spary unit, and headlights are off.....

How is the sprayer wired ? Directly to the battery with a switch/relay ? Or into the fuse box or harness ? 

Also what’s the amperage draw on the sprayer ?  There should be an electrical label on the unit someplace that shows the electrical draw on the bike when in use.

so its just running the battery dry and the pod doesnt show a low voltage sign or check engine light or anything?

You really need to find out how many amps the sprayer is drawing and compare it to what your machine is putting out. . I had an issue with a high power radio drawing too much, so I purchased some 12 volt 5 AH Lithium Ploymer batteries used for large Quad copters. I wired two in parallel put them in a water proof box with a 12volt utility outlet and it makes a nice rechargeable portable power pack.  

I run a Shurflo spray pump (7amp max draw) all afternoon on my 06 Polaris 500EFI when spraying weeds.  It is an on demand pump that starts and stops with pressure.  I start the ATV every 20 minutes or so to move it in a new area to spray and it has not failed me yet. 

I did have a charge problem that never showed on the instrument cluster.  No low voltage or low charge warning.  Turned out it was a bad alternator and wire harness.  I replaced the battery with an AGM and have been very happy since.

Topic moved to Polaris ATV forum 😁

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mike Johnson
      Does anyone know what the 3rd item is behind the battery on this ATV ? I know 1 is the,  solenoid1 is the CDI box, what is the 3rd.
    • By technofarmer
      Hi there i was needing to ask a question. I may soon be getting a UTV of one sort or another and not sure what is good or better to avoid?  So far i hear great things about the Arctic Cat Prowler and Havoc, and many speak well of the Kawasaki Mule all but the 610?  

So what are your thoughts and especially experiences?  What have you had and used in farm life and trail riding that has held up well or hasn't?        
    • By bradley nelson
      Im cool with the police in my area so i can ride on public roads.
    • By Tim Orr
      Installed new battery was told that’s what was wrong when hit start button I hear 1 click then nothing?  Can the battery just not have enough amps to crank the starter the first time ? I trickle charged it overnight thought it was enough!
    • By Chris Stokes
      What is a good option for a 13 year old that is dying to get her very own atv to ride? Thanks in advance for your recommendations. I currently own a Polaris Sportsman 570 and have been happy with the Polaris sportsman line but have ruled out other brands.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By David Miller
      Does anyone know how to access the check engine codes on a 2018 450 sportsman. Just changed battery and spark plug . It runs fine but the light is on and I need this to plow snow and need it reliable. Any ideas . Thanks
    • By marek porowski
      Hi, I got a check engine light and a diagnostic code 520194 2 and i know it has something to do with throttle voltage out of range
      I'd like to know if thats something that can be adjusted ? Or does anybody know what should i test  ?  I just bought this atv and I'm fixing it as its been in an accident. 
      I also changed throttle leaver as original one was broken and I noticed inside the 4x4 selector assembly there are 2 contacts but I'm not sure if they're suppose to make contact at idle. I found some info online but some are saying they're suppose to touch and some say they're not. I think id depends of the year of the machine but I'm not sure. I'd really appreciate any help that i can get with this
      Thanks 
    • By Barry Troxtell
      I have a 2005 Sportsman 500, Instrument cluster will not illuminate, hi/lo beams work though.  Any tips or troubleshooting info is greatly appreciated!
    • By Christian Brindle
      I have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. The Speedometer got water inside of it and it sat for a long time. So now that speedometer is trashed to say the least and i need to find a replacement. I don't want to put up the cash for an oem one so i was wondering if anyone knew any good speedometers out there i could use. I've found many speedometers i like but don't know how i'd wire it up without the same connection points. Thanks, any input is appreciated
    • By Eddie Rahm
      whats up fellas....the white wire going from the throttle body came unplugged from the circuit  board and im not sure where it plugs back in to ? i see where the red wire goes but im not sure where the white wire goes...im not even sure what those wires do..any help would be appreciated..thanks. 1996 polaris sportsman 500 4x4 push button awd.