Quantcast

2 way radio mounting

x

Trying to figure out the best way to mount a 2way radio onto a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700.  I think I can just mount the antenna off the back rack pipe, but what I am most concerned about is a weatherproof enclosure and where to put it.  I am pretty sure the radio I want to mount is a normal DIN size like a car stereo and have seen a couple waterproof enclosures for them for boats on ebay.  Wondering if anyone else has done anything like this and how you went about it. 

Get  a  Ham  license ( Amateur radio operators).  It take a  bit of study to get the basic technician  license but it is more than well  worth it.  Equipment is more expensive, but the license only  costs whatever fee the examiner charges.  With a ham  license  you are allowed a  lot more power  and you  can  go through repeaters on the  VHF  bands to  have  far  more range than  any expensive  GMRS gives you .. Work  at it  and get  higher class ham licensing and you  can literally talk to hams all  over the world when the  HF bands are open. Gone are the Morse code requirements to get licensed now and the basic license requires minimal theory.  I  can't speak  for  the US  license ,  but the basic Canadian  one is simple enough some people  are able  to  pass it  with   one weekends worth of instruction and study.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 10:57 PM, davefrombc said:

Get  a  Ham  license ( Amateur radio operators).  It take a  bit of study to get the basic technician  license but it is more than well  worth it.  Equipment is more expensive, but the license only  costs whatever fee the examiner charges.  With a ham  license  you are allowed a  lot more power  and you  can  go through repeaters on the  VHF  bands to  have  far  more range than  any expensive  GMRS gives you .. Work  at it  and get  higher class ham licensing and you  can literally talk to hams all  over the world when the  HF bands are open. Gone are the Morse code requirements to get licensed now and the basic license requires minimal theory.  I  can't speak  for  the US  license ,  but the basic Canadian  one is simple enough some people  are able  to  pass it  with   one weekends worth of instruction and study.

I have my ham license, gmrs license, and a few part 90 frequencies licensed.  got a couple kenwood 8180s laying around that are part 90 and 95 type accepted so they'll cover all 3 services legally.

My second one i mounted a radio on the bottom of another ammo box and put a water resistant stereo flip up cover because i got tired of flipping the lid open and closed, this way the lid is on bottom and makes access easier for wireing and coax. i mounted the box into a milk crate attatched the ant to the crate and mounted it all on the front rack