Quantcast

Melted electrical connection...what to do?

So I put a headlight wiring kit from LMC Truck on my '96 Cherokee that circumvents the normal wiring and runs the headlights directly off the battery by way of a relay.  The kit runs the lights at 55/100 (low, hi) watts instead of the original 55/60.  One reason I did this was because the light output was terrible, and the other was because for some unknown reason the headlights would shut off after being on hi for a bit.  Never did this on low.  I've had the new wiring kit on for a few years now and it seems to have solved the issue.

The problem I'm having now though is that this new harness is melting at one of the connections...

spacer.png

You can see only one of the wires is overheating while the other seems to be ok.  I'm guessing the hot one is used by the high beams.

What could be causing this?  Could it be related to why the high beams used to shut off before I replaced the wiring harness?  A while back I asked about the shutting off issue on a number of Jeep boards but nobody had heard of this particular problem before.

If you can fix that wire for a quick test that would help.  

Take an amp probe and put it around the wire with and without the high beams on.   See what your reading.  That’s the first thing I would do.  If that wire is coming from a relay then there’s a problem with the wire set up. Maybe an overload on that one wire where there shouldn’t be.  But do that test first and see what the amperage is.  

• Like 1

I noticed the butt splice in the photo is also showing signs of burning out. Clear indication of an overload. Is there an inline fuse with this kit? The photo does not show one. Any connection directly to the battery needs an inline fuse. It is dangerous not to have that, in the event of a short, that wire will get red hot and arc out.

Wire gauge appears to be correct (14 gauge) for a 100 watt kit, so you seem to have an overload condition.

Mike

• Like 2

I agree with the guys on get an amp clamp on there so you know how many amps your pulling, and put an inline fuse near your battery.

My guess is you have a short in the light bar when on high... On high you it should read about 8.333 Amps, 

Just an option, but I would cut out any traditional but splices, and replace with a soldered connection and shrink tube. I have been testing Solder Seal connectors from amazon and they seem to be working really well. You just need a heat gun to install. They take a little practice but work well.  For marine applications I add an additional section of shrink tube over the solder seal connector to make it extra water tight and a tougher layer of insulation. 

Frank,

I am glad to hear someone else is having good luck with the Solder Seal connectors.

On a side note, I have been surprised at the quality of support Quad Crazy members are providing for the less experienced.  In the short time I have been a member, I have noticed you latch on to a difficult problem and logically walk them through trouble shooting it.  I was originally just looking to pick up the service manual for my quads, and now find myself checking in, and seeing if I have anything meaning full to contribute. I am no mechanic, but work on industrial control systems so I can often contribute on basic electrical issues.

Thanks for the comments I appreciate it but im a small potato here compared to some of the other members.  

I was in need of some help on a problem I was having I came across Quadcrazy and got some really good help here. After that I was always checking in.  

So I think it’s about two years now I’ve been a member and countless bikes later I enjoy paying it forward and helping others as so many of our other fellow members do as well as having other members help me out on my problems.  

Edited by Frank Angerano

best site i found in long time and the help rocks just a thanks from us Elmer Fudds trying to do what our parents did to save money but stuff has been made harder on purpose.I have fixed my stuff but have had to go to dealer on my Rhino wiring problem and they said never saw a problem like that before ever so I lucky to have a smarter dealer who guys care.

Keep it great stuff coming but must say I had hundreds of toys like quads bikes skidoos over the years and well guess I have had problems mostly melt downs on older skidoos the bikes and quads are better \I guess 4 stroke is better just costs more.I miss my old ITs yamahas had every size from 125 to 465 490 much more fun then the other one which I cannot think of the two initials I want to say CR but thats Honda.I love Hondas too maybe more more really but all good. Too bad the chinese 2 strokes are over but most were junk really.The cost difference is scary really I bought new pocket bikes for under 100.oo Canadian delivered for that price amazing really.

I put this is wrong place but had to say to other my 2cents worth :Lol Enjoy this site everyone

• Like 1

That’s a great post @scotty2hotty01 I am a big Honda fan.  Yes CR was the initials.  I hand my first cr80 and it was a great bike. 

Ran the heck out of it and quickly went up to a 125 then 250 and swapped over to the Kawasaki where I raced my as* off for a few years.  Then off to ATV’S...... Still like Kawasaki but always loyal to my Honda and always looking to figure out the next brand and project which I’m hoping will be a Suzuki. It’s really the only atv I’ve yet to get my hands on. 

We will see what happens, right now I have this Kawasaki Mojave on the table and have had zero time to play with it.  

#Quadcrazy 

On 6/25/2019 at 8:23 AM, scotty2hotty01 said:

best site i found in long time and the help rocks just a thanks from us Elmer Fudds trying to do what our parents did to save money but stuff has been made harder on purpose.I have fixed my stuff but have had to go to dealer on my Rhino wiring problem and they said never saw a problem like that before ever so I lucky to have a smarter dealer who guys care.

Keep it great stuff coming but must say I had hundreds of toys like quads bikes skidoos over the years and well guess I have had problems mostly melt downs on older skidoos the bikes and quads are better \I guess 4 stroke is better just costs more.I miss my old ITs yamahas had every size from 125 to 465 490 much more fun then the other one which I cannot think of the two initials I want to say CR but thats Honda.I love Hondas too maybe more more really but all good. Too bad the chinese 2 strokes are over but most were junk really.The cost difference is scary really I bought new pocket bikes for under 100.oo Canadian delivered for that price amazing really.

I put this is wrong place but had to say to other my 2cents worth :Lol Enjoy this site everyone

i was thinking YZ as was a yamaha fan back when |I was young loved the IT as rode in mountains mostly yz were for tracks more as had to keep them in power band the it you could jump over logs what ever hit it away you went.So much fun back in the 80 I ud=se to buy and sell to keep my kids in gas and smaller bikes.My youngest was 18 months old when he got his 1st little 60 had them 70 trikes but some as***** stole them from inside our yard.I still cannot believe that give your kid a hot trike some bad dad for sure I hate thieves.Keep up your great posts bro enjoyed by  many!!!

• Thanks 1