Quantcast

1996 Kawasaki Mojave KSF250 No Spark

Chris2018

On 8/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Hey Chris welcome to Quadcrazy. I’m working one a Mojave myself in the middle of a minor restoration process.  I’m assuming electrical pages ? 

Yes it is. And I can't seem to find much online and what I do find they want you to pay for. And normal life is playing havoc on funds at the moment lol

On 8/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Hey Chris welcome to Quadcrazy. I’m working one a Mojave myself in the middle of a minor restoration process.  I’m assuming electrical pages 

Thanks. Now the only thing I can think of is when I use my multimeter to test the cdi and the coil I get no result at all for either. That does imply that I need to replace both correct.  I've tested the stator also and I get reading. Mind you I've done all this with the bike not  started due to the no spark issue

Ok for so the cdi you really can’t test.  All other components you can. The stator test is pretty easy and I’m sure you did it the right way but can you explain the tests you did and how you did it ? 

As far as the secondary coil goes that too. My money would be on the cdi but a stator is a usual suspect also. 

Once you rule out all the other parts which you can test that would qualify the cdi as pretty much your culprit. In addition to all of that testing we spoke about the additional items would be an ohms/continuity test on the kill switch, wiring is all in tact and inspected for damage or a worn out piece of wire insulation that is allowing the copper conductor to touch the frame and the ignition switch is properly working. 

Lastly it could be as simple as a corroded plug. But some dielectric grease and open all plugs and connectors one at a time and clean and add the geese.  It’s an older bike and corrosion happens after a while.  

It sounds like a lot but this is all about two hours worth of work that will rule out all other parts. 

Then we can try one more thing with the cdi that will sound outlandish but it’s worth a crack.   

Let me know!  

I took all the tape and insulation off the wire harness and inspected each wire and the plugs on the wire harness. For the stator test I tested the BK/R @ BK/W, it was 93.5 if I remember correctly. Then BK @ BK/Y, then BK/Y @ ground and lastly BR @ BR. Now when I did these ohm tests it says to do it at ×1 or ×10. My tester's lowest setting is 200 so that's where I ran all of the tests. I haven't tested the on/off switch yet, I will do that tomorrow. The coil test I did I tested the 2 plug leads and got nothing, then I tested the one plug lead against the spark pug side of the coil and got nothing then I tested the other plug side against sparkplug side and also got nothing. All these tests I ran on ohm's with the meter set at 200 because that's my lowest setting. I appreciate your help and any input you may have. And one last thing. Is there supposed to be a battery in this bike or no. When I got it there wasn't one and didn't think anything of it because it's Kickstart  

Edited by Chris2018

The stator test has to be as follows. Three wires coming from the stator. Test each of the three wires one  at a time going from one of the wires to ground on ohms.   You should NOT get a reading.  Next test each of the three wires from one to another. You should get a reading from one wire to another.  They should be close in readings.  The manual should tell you the range of numbers that are acceptable.  

The tests I ran on the stator are from parts of the manual I was able to find on the net, (I believe they are the same test you described.) When I ran the tests they all fell within the range. I believe I wrote the results down i can get them from the garage in the morning.  I will retest the stator as you described tomorrow morning also and let you know what I get. I do appreciate all your help and in put.

No problem on the help, that’s what Quadcrazy is here for. 

Definitely test each of the stator wires one at a time to ground, you should not get anything on the tester.  If so then it’s bad.  

As far as the other two wires coming from the stator they go to the pick up coil.  There is an ohms test acceptable range in the spec as well.  But focus on the stator for now.   

Kill switch is a must check because it could be something as simple as that.   

I jus ran the tests on the stator. You say three wires but I have 5 wires on the 6 plug and 2 wires on the 2 plug. I'm taking that the BK/Y wire is grown because when I ran the test with the wires to ground the only wire I got a reading from what is the BK/Y and that was 1.5 . The other wire colors are BK/R , BK/W, BR , BR, 

I also checked the on off switch and I got a  reading when it was in the run position and no reading when it was in the off position. I also ran the 3 plug coming out of the stator and I got 121.6, the wires were black and yellow and solid black. And as I said my meter doesn't go low enough on settings so they were all done on ohm's set at the 200 spot 

I got 1.3 when I tested the 2 brown wires I believe, but I can double check tomorrow and make sure. And I believe I got no reading when I tested brown to ground but again I will double check tomorrow to make sure but I'm almost certain thats what it was. And your bike looks nice. I was looking at pictures today and what you have done to it. I had to take topend off today to replace a gasket that was leaking from before. I can say whoever had it didn take good care of it but little by little getting it back, I hope. Just hope im not goin to have to sink a ton of money in it. Did you pick yours up in the condition it's in, or have you done more previously

I did pick mine up in good condition.  I have a check list and a few tools I bring with me whenever I buy a bike.  I actually posted a topic on buying a used bike here on Quadcrazy. God only knows where that post is but it’s helpful. I like to go through the basic fundamentals on an engine and check for spark, compression and bolts that have been wrenched to death.  None of which would be deal breakers but will significantly lower the value from my standpoint as far as paying. 

As far as tearing them down that’s going to happen whenever I buy one. Paint etc is standard for me to clean it up and plastics off so I can really see what the machine looks like mechanically and the wiring.   

My oldest loves to take them apart so that makes my life a little easier. 

On another note I did find a guy on letgo with a Mojave that wants very little money for. So if you wind up needing anything major or a cdi etc this machine looks to have everything on it except the front plastic. I can put you two in touch  if need be.

I actually went against my own rule when I got this. I was telling my girl as long as there is spark and compression it's good it will run. Had great compression but no spark. But it didn't have the key switch so I figured it could be the reason and actually ended up paying 150 for it in the end because of the no spark. I figured hell at that price no reason not to. It's all here the plastics aren't broken to sh** just needs to be cleaned up for the most part. If I can get this figured out 

Ok well maybe it truly is your cdi. Here  my crazy trick in mentioned earlier It works! If your cdi is damp inside this truck will fix it temporarily but allows you to see if this is the problem.   I did it before and it worked. Don’t laugh.  Do exactly what is shown here then go install it and give it a shot. 

Yes I have I don't have them touching and I ordered a new one just waiting for it to get here should be here by Saturday. I will deffeinetly give it a try. I also got a new coil bc when I tested that I didn't get any readings. I haven't purchased a new cdi yet bc they are 150 used on eBay and been looking to see if I can pick one up and just rewire it kind of thing

Isn't there a test in the manual to run on the cdi? I could be mistaking . But any how thank you for the backing trick it deffeinetly worked. And I just bought a cheap coil off the internet for a few dollars. I been busy and haven't been able to get to the bike in a few days do today I gave the cdi a good bake at 305° for 15 min. Put it on and no spark So I put the coil on and she fired up. 

So I want to say thank you for the help. And have a couple more questions. I ordered a key switch off line and for some reason. When it's in the off position it's on and when it's in the on position off. An the radiator fan is not kicking on so I'm guess no part of the cooling system is working any ideas. I haven't really looked at it a hole lot. Othe them do say all the wires are ok. And there two wires a blue and a brown wire in the front and by the motor and idea what they hook up to. Everything is hiked up there is nothing for them. I was thinking battery but don't see a spot for a battery. Again thank you for all your help 

• Like 1