Quantcast

1996 Kawasaki Mojave KSF250 No Spark

Chris2018

So you got spark!! That’s great!!!! The cooling system fan will only work when the engine temp gets to its set point.  On the right side of the bike the radiator bottom should have a sensor on it. There should be two wires connected to it.   Take them two wires off of the sensor.  When the engine is running use a jumper wire and jump the two wires. That fan should come on, if so that’s good news as far as the fan working and the power going to it.  The only thing next is to see if the sensor is working. My guess is it’s working fine.  My bike took a while to heat up and come on.  If in doubt swap it out for a new one. I will get back to you with the wire colors for that fan and the wires your talking about that are loose.  

If the Mojave is like the Bayou, and I suspect it's pretty close, there are spare wires at the front for accessories.  a 97 Bayou has a few extra brown and blue wires.  Brown is 12V electric ground (not frame ground) post ignition switch I think and blue is 12V lighting maybe?  Been a minute and can't remember for sure but they are usually listed in the wiring diagram as accessory or Canada version maybe?

I was wrong on the brown if I understand the partial wiring diagram above correct.  Looks like brown is a metered 12V post rectifier and blue is from the magneto which would indicate likely lighting. So probably spares.  The Bayou had like 3 extra browns and at least one blue...they were all for accessory.  Good place for a winch or extra lighting i guess!

Have you jumped the fan to see if it runs ?  

If so the second test would be to remove the sensor from the radiator and connect a tester to both leads of the sensor and put the tester on continuity. There should be no reading while it’s cool.  Then put it in a small pot of water (just the sensor part) and as the water heats up the sensor should close giving you a reading. It should close at about 185-190 deg. 

Edited by Frank Angerano

Double check and don’t make the same mistake I made. Make sure you put the right jets back in the right spot. When putting the carb back together the pilot jet and the main jets are the same thread. I reversed them and the bike died at as soon as I put it in gear.   

Edited by Frank Angerano

I went out last night and bought some paint. I was just going to beat it around but figured I have this much time into it already why not fix what needs to be fixed clean it up nice and go from there. I've never actually painted one or gone full out to fix them the right way. Normally cut corners and beat it until it's done. But going to put some effort into it. Will post some pictures later for befor and afters

I'm getting ready to put it together now and go try it. As far as paint I had my girl pic it up while she was out last night. I told her Kawasaki green she came back with. I mean it does match what someone else already used to paint it once but not what I'm looking for I don't think. She tries though 

15681236676857186125626460860776.jpg

Here are a few pics of the work I did. The color I found on eBay and Amazon

PJ1 Color Matched Frame Paint 99-02 Kawasaki Green 12 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00230IC3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UO6DDbBDAQ4ZW

The other colors are standard gloss black for nerf bars and then high heat satin finish on the exhaust.  

The aluminum portion (silencer)  I used an aluminum polish called mother’s.  It’s great for all soft metals.  

Mothers 05101 Mag & Aluminum Polish - 10 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009H519Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GT6DDb4RMNXGF

612CE923-DBA1-4E7E-AB0F-6EC2C5365F71.jpeg

D577AADF-5115-42F2-B269-3CAF2E3E1EE9.jpeg

866FF16E-0D7C-4AC3-B620-854989A03677.jpeg

54ADBE6E-B456-45C6-8A4F-9162E9DD6570.jpeg

D9E2C079-7D7F-42EA-A1DB-EA2798AEADA0.jpeg

59D78C16-6AD3-4324-8F47-636281C0F3BD.jpeg

The main is the one with the needle. It gets the larger of the two jets. They have numbers on them. Mine were not legible due to being what looks to be worn or sanded maybe during the cleaning process of the previous owner. So if you can read the numbers then lol at the carburetor section of your manual and it clearly explains where they go.  But for sure the larger hole jet is at the needle location.     

Yes all can spray. Wire wheel in a drill and sand paper. I spray a good prep coat on before and spray away!  The prep coat is a clear type coat that helps the new paint stick well.  

B4451BD4-6469-4281-BFAB-A966507BD048.jpeg

17D67F69-4643-4058-A1E6-0B130A7FC21E.jpeg

And FYI all of this material I bought on line for $125 bucks. That includes the new color matching chain and I was missing the air factory box.  That air box assembly was $45 so really it cost me $80 if I wasn’t missing that air box.  That chain was only $20 bucks. 

Edited by Frank Angerano