Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Chris2018

1996 Kawasaki Mojave KSF250 No Spark

The re wire will not work.  Don’t waste your money. If your not getting a reading on the ignition coil wouldn’t you think that’s the problem ? 

Yea I figured the coil, but I also figured the cdi because the test in the manual for the cdi I didn't get anything when I tested it

I’m not sure what test you performed on the cdi because I’ve never seen one testable so that’s kinda throwing me off a bit.  

But the coil yes you can test that.  

Isn't there a test in the manual to run on the cdi? I could be mistaking . But any how thank you for the backing trick it deffeinetly worked. And I just bought a cheap coil off the internet for a few dollars. I been busy and haven't been able to get to the bike in a few days do today I gave the cdi a good bake at 305° for 15 min. Put it on and no spark So I put the coil on and she fired up. 

So I want to say thank you for the help. And have a couple more questions. I ordered a key switch off line and for some reason. When it's in the off position it's on and when it's in the on position off. An the radiator fan is not kicking on so I'm guess no part of the cooling system is working any ideas. I haven't really looked at it a hole lot. Othe them do say all the wires are ok. And there two wires a blue and a brown wire in the front and by the motor and idea what they hook up to. Everything is hiked up there is nothing for them. I was thinking battery but don't see a spot for a battery. Again thank you for all your help 

So you got spark!! That’s great!!!! The cooling system fan will only work when the engine temp gets to its set point.  On the right side of the bike the radiator bottom should have a sensor on it. There should be two wires connected to it.   Take them two wires off of the sensor.  When the engine is running use a jumper wire and jump the two wires. That fan should come on, if so that’s good news as far as the fan working and the power going to it.  The only thing next is to see if the sensor is working. My guess is it’s working fine.  My bike took a while to heat up and come on.  If in doubt swap it out for a new one. I will get back to you with the wire colors for that fan and the wires your talking about that are loose.  

The wires going to the fan and the sensor are circled. Test them as I indicated and see if the fan comes on.  Meantime send me a pic of the wires and the area that they are located in I will see where they go on my machine.  

444B180D-FFD8-4270-9253-7AB497397A1F.jpeg

Ok thank your you. I will be going out and send them pictures in a few minutes. The sensor you speak off. I believe my is ontop of my radiator. So I just take the two wires off the sensor and tuch the two together ?

The sensor should be lower right side of the radiator  if your sitting on the bike.  

As far as ignition switch is it an oem switch ? 

Here are the pictures of the 2 spots the two blue and brown wires are located and the third is my sensor 

IMG_20190909_095523.jpg

IMG_20190909_095313.jpg

15680374837912689559375323910075.jpg

That would be the fan sensor. Jump them and the fan should come on. But the bike needs to be running obviously. As far as the other two I’m going to take a look now.  

The fan sensor, the wires all in tact ? The blue wires that I see as per the diagram are a 12v positive. The browns I’m not really seeing except for the stator wires.  Double check that it’s not a brown with a stripe on it.  Meantime put a tester on the blue wires and see if the test for 12v positive. 

If the Mojave is like the Bayou, and I suspect it's pretty close, there are spare wires at the front for accessories.  a 97 Bayou has a few extra brown and blue wires.  Brown is 12V electric ground (not frame ground) post ignition switch I think and blue is 12V lighting maybe?  Been a minute and can't remember for sure but they are usually listed in the wiring diagram as accessory or Canada version maybe?

Yes I agree, it’s for an accessory add on maybe.  I will look at my own bike this afternoon to verify.  But that was my take as well.  

I was wrong on the brown if I understand the partial wiring diagram above correct.  Looks like brown is a metered 12V post rectifier and blue is from the magneto which would indicate likely lighting. So probably spares.  The Bayou had like 3 extra browns and at least one blue...they were all for accessory.  Good place for a winch or extra lighting i guess!

Maybe extra lighting at best because this bike has no battery. It’s self reliant as far as power goes so you really couldn’t add much more onto it.  

Ok I just wasn't sure. Is there any other test Incan check to make sure the switch works correctly so I don't have any issues with it getting hot on me

Have you jumped the fan to see if it runs ?  

If so the second test would be to remove the sensor from the radiator and connect a tester to both leads of the sensor and put the tester on continuity. There should be no reading while it’s cool.  Then put it in a small pot of water (just the sensor part) and as the water heats up the sensor should close giving you a reading. It should close at about 185-190 deg. 

Edited by Frank Angerano

Ok figured the blue and brown wires.  They are for your rear brake light. One is by the carburetor should run to a brake switch on the rear brake petal.  The second set up by the front goes to the right brake handle lever.   

Edited by Frank Angerano

Thanks for the help, everything seems to be in working order for the most part. Just trying to figure out this crab. I got it all cleaned up, it was real bad on the inside. But for some reason as soon as you put it in gear and give it gas it spits and sputs  but if it's just in neutral it's fine@MarkinAR

Double check and don’t make the same mistake I made. Make sure you put the right jets back in the right spot. When putting the carb back together the pilot jet and the main jets are the same thread. I reversed them and the bike died at as soon as I put it in gear.   

Edited by Frank Angerano

I thought I might have mixed them up. One is actually shorter then the other but can't see what one goes where lol

Ha. I did that on a big bear. 2nd pilot is a 74 and main is a 115 or something. Doesn't run quite right with them backwards. Identical jets though...