Quantcast

1996 Kawasaki Mojave KSF250 No Spark

Chris2018

Have you checked the needle on the throttle slide to see what clip it’s on? I would  try to move the clip down one or two spots closer to the bottom. 

And when the engine is running if you can turn the air /fuel screw all the way in the engine should shut down. If not then that screw is worn and needs replacement. The engine should immediately respond to any adjustments on that screw. 

If not then it’s def going to need a new jet kit.  I was looking on eBay and Amazon. It has to be an oem or better brand. It was $27 bucks. It has to have the air fuel screw as well and all jets.    

I would order one and take the carb completely apart and soak it in a good bath for a day or two.   Then blow every port out on that cab with some good air pressure.   

Reassemble and set the air/fuel screw at 2 full turns from a snug position. 

That would be my way to go about it. 

EBBD2053-1E20-4FD1-8179-8D631B726F4C.jpeg

I can't see the picture you tried to send. And I'm I just going to order a kit for it just to avoid all the B's, it wouldn't hurt to get it anyways. I didn't get into the carb aga n yet but I'm f it's the needle in thinking if and it has a little c clip in it there is only one spot for it to go. Not saying I looked at it real close either. I'm starting to break it back down see what else needs to be fixed and clean it up at Sam time. Here are a few pictures.

IMG_20190910_180726.jpg

IMG_20190910_180721.jpg

IMG_20190910_180639.jpg

IMG_20190910_180629.jpg

IMG_20190910_180654.jpg

IMG_20190910_180645.jpg

IMG_20190910_180702.jpg

IMG_20190910_180656.jpg

IMG_20190910_180705.jpg

Would have have any idea where this goes it was in the box of parts and for the life of me I can't remember. I havent messed with these things since I was a kid and I didn't take it apart to be able to remember where it goes. I thought it was the chain roller but it's on there

IMG_20190910_182744.jpg

Feel free to take as much of the paint scheme as you like.  I like the black because it gets the most wear and tear down there with the feet.   A bright color would show everything.   

That chain was $20 bucks on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273576057240

Edited by Frank Angerano

• 1 month later...

So I finally was able to get back out to the garage and work a little more I just replaced the top end gaskets and am a little confused about setting the timing. First the flywheel ended up moving while removing the head. All I had to do was continue the rotation and set it back at top dead center correct? And when setting the timing do you line it up with the "T" on the flywheel it is it the notch. It got me a little confused bc this is the first four-stroke I have worked on.

Thanks. And don't ask me how I completely missed that in the manual. But it was  originally lined up with just the notch befor the T. Is there a chance the velves are bent. Or is that not far enough off to cause damage

And the top part of the dot on the exhaust cam is lined up with the top of the head correct while the inlet cam bottom part of the dot is lined up with the top of the head correct?

That is correct @Freezeman thank you for clarifying that.  @Chris2018 that looks correct with the timing. When you have the cam chain tensioner tight rotate the engine without the spark plug installed and make sure it cycles nice and smooth. You can use your hand and slowly push the kick starter down nice and easy.  Feel for any hits or resistance  and check that the marks line up on the sprockets as you rotate the engine and the piston hits TDC again.   

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By McG75
      1996 4x4 Timberwolf rearend width. Can someone with some knowledge of these machines answer this question for me please. Are all 4x4 timberwolves this narrow in the rearend? These tires are so close the right one actually rubs the muffler.  Thinking about seeing if there are any spacers out there for it. I need at least an inch more clearance. 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off!