Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

payne

Yamaha Bear Tracker 250 Where to start?

Have an Bear Tracker 250. Dont have the manual or any literature to help with. Anyhow, starts with pull start in gear, and electric starter doesnt work. Also, neutral light doesnt come on. Where should I begin?? Need some direction on troubleshooting all this. Thanks a million.

20200302_070200.jpg

Do the headlights come on? If so, then the likely culprit is the neutral safety switch. Theres a green wire and a black or white wire right by your left heel sitting down. See if there is continuity on that switch when in neutral. If theres not, then there's the issue. You may be able to pull the left brake lever fully and bypass the neutral safety switch also. My 93 kodiak would do that. 

• Like 1

Headlights do not come on, but bulbs may be bad, not sure yet.

If no lights and no starter button I'd look for a blown fuse between the  battery and starter solenoid. Can't really tell much though until you start at the battery with a test light and work your way forwards. 

Mark is spot on.

#1 neutral safety switch is acting up. May be a mechanical issue where the shift linkage is located under the side case that makes contact for the neutral light/relay to lock out or a wiring issue right above it. 
#2 the starter relay  has a fuse on the side of it under a rubber cap. If your not familiar with this relay its the one with the two bigger wires on it, one comes from the positive terminal on the battery and the other  one goes to the starter.  Pull the cap and check the fuse. Some models put the fuse within that same  area so look all over where the battery is etc. 

Machine has several issues. I started bye adjusting valves and pilot screw due to only running on choke and high idle without choke. 

After looking at neutral switch, I discovered there are NO wires coming from it nor do I see any around it. Were are the wires supposed to go that are missing?

There should be a light Green and Red wire coming from the left side of the engine right above the shifter. That green wire goes to the round aluminum relay under the seat by the battery.  Relay should be round, aluminum and have 4 wires coming from it.   Two black one green and one brown. 
The brown is 12v positive.  The green is a negative that is made when the bike is in neutral.  That negative is made be the shifter inside the  engine cover touching an electrical contact within the engine when shifted.   When this happens the brown 12v+ going to the relay and the green negative send power to the relay and the relay closes making the two black wires on the relay connect.  This allows the start button to work because the atv knows its in neutral.   
The red wire  goes from the neutral safety switch to the light on the dashboard to indicate its in reverse.  

• Like 1

Thank you. How do I test to see if natural switch is good? The green wire that connects to it was torn off, but when I hold it on the switch, the light still doesnt come on and switch doeant engage starter. Starter is proven good, cause it will start quad when its given 12 volts directly from battery. Also headlights dont work, but havent checked bulbs yet either.

Forgot to mention, both 30 amp fuses in battery box are good.

All the relays I see are plastic too

Im a complete idiot!!! I apologize, but for some reason i thought we were talking about a bayou.  I was working on a  bayou and somehow responded to the wrong topic. 
Yours is a bear tracker!! I had one, it was my first atv that i picked ip a few years back before getting back into all this. Here is a diagram showing your neutral safety switch. 
if the green wire that connects to the switch is broken off and is coming from the harness side try to ground to the frame and see if you get dash lights and if the starter works.  
Make sure the atv is in neutral!!

64FEFEBF-12AA-4EDA-8D60-2DC5293467C7.jpeg

039E09E1-82DF-4889-80B0-44CC35C478ED.jpeg

• Like 1

Frank, I did have a bayou before and loved it. I actually did try grounding the green wire, but still no start. Is there a way to bypass the starter cut off relay to see if the button actually works? I'm working on this for a friend of mine. My current bike is a CFMOTO 800xc.

Screenshot_20200218-094556_Facebook.jpg

I have the wiring schematic myself, but I get confused on the whole electrical stuff.

Yep they are great bikes, cant believe i sent that to you lol and my friend said hey you never got back to me on my bayou! I thought he was crazy!!

Anyway, give me some time, i will print it and highlight some wiring to make it easier for you.  

You can bypass any relay on the bike if you really want to.  A relay is just two circuits, if one closes it closes the other.  So just jumper the two that complete the starter circuit and see if it'll bump.  Then again, a relay is only abut $7 at a parts store so it's a cheap trial if you want to just replace it.  Look in the auxiliary lighting section at Autozone or whatever parts store.  I bought a couple extras to use in troubleshooting and to have one on hand when one goes bad.

So if you look at the diagram it shows two brown wires heading to the neutral safety switch.  You have to locate them and see that they are plugged into the neutral safety switch switch.   If so unplug it and add a ground jumper from the frame to the brown wire on the harness side. See if the starter works. 
Also on a side note  the relay by the battery, the starter relay. It has two large  wires bolted to it. One from the battery and the other goes to the starter.  Jump the two wires/nuts together for a second and see if the starter cranks. Make sure the atv is in neutral. It will spark a bit so don't be nervous and don't do it for long periods.   

Post a few pics of the wires etc.  

First pick is of the wire that went to neutral switch, there was only one wire going to it. The other pics are of the relays in the battery box.

20200306_063054.jpg

20200306_063046.jpg

20200306_063044.jpg

• Like 1

Updated topic title to Yamaha Bear Tracker 250 Where to start?

Great pics!  Im not sure your looking at the neutral safety switch. 
Depending on the year and model. 
Make sure you are looking at the right thing is all im saying.   
As far as the wiring under the seat it looks like its in good condition.  
I circled the two wires in red to jump and see if the engine cranks.  
The next ones circled in blue are the wires going to the relay that come from your starter button.  One of them should have 12v positive with the key on.  

Question: are you handy with wiring or a tester ? Reason I'm asking is i don't want to over explain it to you if you have a general understanding of this.  If not we will walk you right through it step by step.   

CC09C795-EFB6-4896-ACEB-02469148393C.jpeg

11477979-837A-4EDC-8370-2904CFC5AF8A.jpeg

Were at did you cire those wires at? I didnt see anything circled other than a few posts ago. I'm fairly decent with tester. I have meter's and test lights to use.

The one with the wire is reverse light, which doesnt light either, other is neutral light that I pulled the wire off of. I only see 1 wire going to each switch

15835313803871261652706261887096.jpg

15835314415191997109096561128405.jpg

Jumped them, no crank. The orange wire has 12 volts.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.