Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

tigerorange

1998 Artic Cat 454 4X4 Starting Problems

I'm a newbie with ATV's and was given a '98 454 4X4 Artic Cat by my brother. It has been sitting for about a year without being run so I changed the oil, charged the battery and replaced the spark plug but I can't seem to get it to start. It only has 689 hr

Where should I start the trouble shooting? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Congrats on the atv.

First, with key on , is there power? What happens when you hit the start button? I know you charged the battery, but it still could be dead. Did you try the pull start? Is the choke working properly and on when starting?

There is power. The lights come on and the green light highlights the N (neutral). I have tried the pull start with no luck. When I hit the start button I can hear the motor turning over similar to when i pull start. Is the chock the right beside the start button? It seems to be worn and I'm not sure if full choke is all the way down or up. How would I go about check the choke? Thanks for your help

Make sure the fuel switch is not off or on reserve. Also some quads you need to hold the handbrake when starting it or put it in park. when you crank it, does it seem the starter is moving slow? You may want to add a booster to the battery if so. Maybe the battery is week and not strong enough to fully crank it over.

Another thing, since it was sitting...your float in your carb could be stuck. You could spray some fuel into the air intake to see if it is a fuel starvation issue.

Thx for all your help. I have changed batteries. I sprayed some starter fluid in the air intake. I was able to crank it for a few seconds but will not stay cranked. Also, will only crank if I spray the starter fluid. Would this suggest a fuel starvation issue? If so how do I need to trouble shoot? Thanks

When you say "crank" are you saying that it sounds like it wants to start? If you're spraying starting fluid and it only sounds like it's going to start then...yes...it's not getting fuel.

Check your fuel petcock and make sure it's ok...there should be a lever or switch on the side of the quad or somewhere closer to the carb that has an ON, OFF, and RES setting. Make sure itis not on OFF..due to the fact that it was stored.

You may need to take the carb apart as it might have a stuckj float due to sitting around..happns. If the float is stuck down, fuel will not enter the carb bowl.

drain the fuel and clean the carb they get gummed up with varnish from old gas. Plus stale gas has a much lower flash point and is not good for the wheeler.

drain the fuel and clean the carb they get gummed up with varnish from old gas. Plus stale gas has a much lower flash point and is not good for the wheeler.

This sounds like it will fix it. I also run sea foam through every other tank of gas. It keeps everything clean.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Freezeman
      I came across an odd temporary fix for a 1985 yamaha 80 ATV.  It has no spark, yet if I warm the CDI unit up a bit with a heat gun or hair dryer then it fires right up and runs fine until shut off then it returns to no spark until warmed up again. Partzilla shows $217 for a new CDI  
      It's sort of nuts how I found out the fix to warm it up. My old shop TV requires my heat gun warm up around the transformer area every day before it will turn on too.  
    • By dirtybear00
      Hi guys I am new here. Not new to ATV s. I have a 2000 Yamaha big bear foot shift with no spark Looking for manual to down load any tips on where to find one or links be great thanks from Canada  
    • By JacobSlabach
      i know this isnt an atv but same type of thing.  I have a riding mower im fixing and selling for my aunt and it has a dead battery.  i jumped it off my atv and when i turn the key nothing at all happens.  i tried jumping the relay still nothing.  this is with the seat down.  you wouldnt think this mower would have issues as its a top-of-the-line brand and almost brand new (aunt found it for a good price, still got tits on tires, just sat for a couple months in a mechanic shop
    • By Bud03420
      I just got this bike and not getting any spark I know nothing about it so before I spend any money on it I like to see if it fires dose it have to have a battery to complete a circut and spark cause it dosent have one
    • By Ajmboy
      Safety Is A Concern For Kids ATVs
      The family is into racing ATVs and now the children want to get in on the action. How do you start with someone who is too young to drive a car, but yet sees other children their own age charging through the woods racing an ATV? A tough decision for parents, but with a lot of planning and instruction your kids ATV can become a reality.
      Safety should be your first concern before getting the kids ATVs for their own use. You should plan on doing your research to make sure that you get the best kids ATV available for their age group and size. The research should include surfing the web and also by reading Consumer Reports—both of these will provide you with a tremendous amount of information on kids ATVs.
      It is recommended that the youngest kid ATV riders should have an ATV that has an engine with no more than 4.3 cubic inches. There are not too many choices at this size for kids ATVs, but you want to ensure that your child is not riding a machine that it too large for them to handle.
      As a concerned parent, you should check into the ATV Safety Institute. This group offers safety courses all over the country. The experienced instructors will teach you and your kids about pre-ride inspections, warm up exercises, braking, turning, and shifting. They also teach you about clutch and throttle control and about the importance of body position and simple maintenance. In addition they cover riding techniques and how to tackle obstacles, hills and different kinds of trails. All of these issues are important safety issues for your kids ATV riding.
      So, what are the features will your kid's ATV have? One company has an experienced team of ATV enthusiasts that work with you on your kids ATV to hand select the perfect one. Each ATV they have is designed with safety in mind and they offer a 4-point safety system which includes a throttle limiter, an emergency kill switch, a safety kill tether and a remote kill key. The kid ATVs are safe and they come with a 4 stroke engine, headlights, an electric start and disk brakes. This company that focuses on safety with kid ATVs is Motorxtremes. They want to make sure that every kids ATV is safe and that the rider follows all safety precautions.
      You should make sure that your kids ATV comes with all of the necessary additional safety equipment to make their ride as safe as possible. Every kid ATV rider should have a helmet with a full-face cover, goggles to keep dirt out of their eyes, gloves with finger and knuckle guards, a shirt with long sleeves and safety pads for their chest, shoulders, elbows and knees.
      Make sure you and your children know the rules of riding ATVs. While you can not ensure that your kids ATV rides will be completely accident free, you can help them by providing the best additional safety equipment available.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By weblex
      Problem: The ATV starts and runs at idle perfectly. But as soon as I open the throttle, the engine starts to slow down until it stops. On the attached video you can hear the sound of how it works: see video below
      Prehistory: there is a Polaris Sportsman 500 1998, which for about 1.5 years stood in repair, including also replacing CDI with one taken from the same ATV. Finally, the vehicles were on wheels, traveled several kilometers and overheated - forgot to fill the antifreeze Came back home in small moves. The next trip started well, but after 10 km there was a feeling of a small drop in power (even as the vehicle got warm completely) but still drives. Next trip - the situation is repeated. The next test of ATV through time and a huge loss of power from the very beginning. The engine sneezes, does not want to go more than 5 mph.

What has been done: the carburetor has been replaced with a new one (inexpensive, $ 40), a new spark plug, a new ignition coil, the engine head has been removed, the piston is in good condition, valves were corrected - but the problem was definitely not in them.

Ignition control unit is suspected. Who faced similar? Please help in solving the problem.
      Thanks in advance.

• By gregj49
      Blows out black smoke when you rev it up how do you adjust the carb?
    • By chevyboy
      AL righty I did some trading around this weekend and ended up picking up a few 4 wheelers for cheap. I ended up with this one for $500 in it total and well the guy told me it dropped a valve. I haven't really messed with it at all. But this weekend I am going to try and start working on it some to get it running before winter time frame. So what I am asking is a couple of questions.
      1. First off where do I start I tried pulling the pull cord and could not get it to move at all.
      2. I need to get a service manual for this 4 wheeler where can I get it downloaded for free?
      3. what do I need to look for and how do I go about this really. I do have experience with 4 wheelers but this one is a little different to me than others because its a V2 and I have no clue where to start internal on the engines. Most of my experience is on the outside portion of troubleshooting on theses wheelers.
      Please no smart butt answers as i am new to here but just wanted opinions on where to start. Please and thanks wink:
    • By Wonderwoman
      Hello, well back to where I was last year with this carb. Took my 250 to the mountains for the first time this year and blue smoke, too much gas again. I can't believe that this carb gives me this much trouble. Seems like the choke is stuck but the cable moves freely. Anyone else ever experience this issue? Do you think a new choke cable would maybe resolve this?http://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/images/smilies/arghh.gif
      OK it was the choke. Put on all new cable and plunger and she is running 100% again. So now the question is, is the carb getting worn out where the plunger needle goes in the small hole and when I use the choke the needle end doesn't get lined back up with the hole?? We'll see how it runs and now that I know what the issue is I can always pull the choke plunger out and reinstall if I start having this issue again.