Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

arcticplayer

2005 Arctic Cat 500 will not idle cold or warm

hello new to the site. I have an 05 500 and it will not idle in the cold or warm i have to pump the gas on the carb then it will start then i have pump it a few times or hold it on a fast idle or it will quit if i want to let it sit and warm up i have to keep it at a fast idle then have to slow it down so it will go into gear. have not taken the carb off yet??? wondering where to look first thanks

I would start with a thorough cleaning of that carb, make sure to clean EVERYTHING, take it comlpletely apart and blow out all small passages with compressed air. Also, check any rubber parts like diaphragms, gaskets and o-rings.

P.S. could someone move this into the Artic Cat forum?

arcticplayer, welcome to the community!

* Adjusted thread title to include issue

thanks for the help i have cleaned the carb and it is all good now seems i had some mud in there would not know how that happened..lol now the only thing is that if i let the bike sit for a day or two i have to pump the carb primer a time or two to start it is that the norm??? and thanks again for the help

If there is a carb primer, that woud be what it is for. If everything works ok, then I would say it is ok.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By bradleyheathhays
      So this '02 Taurus with only 87k miles on her starts right up every time multiple times a day except for twice in the last 3 weeks. The first time was 3 weeks ago and the second was today. It happened the same both times. Turn the key and stop to let the pump prime, then when I turn to the start position the engine turns real slow and sort of in fits. Usually when a battery is low the engine turns slow but in rhythm. During my 2 starts the engine barely seemed to turn and the crankshaft rpm seemed to vary. On both starting events I let off the key and tried to start 2-3 times with rests in between. But then eventually on the 4th try it starts right up just as quickly as a normal start.

I have No clue as to what might be causing this. Only thing I know to do is, next time it does this to put a voltage meter on the battery to see if it's weak. Actually though, because both events the engine ended up starting up like normal that would indicate something other than the batt. Electrically this car is a little odd though. The interior light never comes on when the doors are opened, for years, and then last week it comes on twice when one of the rear doors is opened.
    • By Kaj Colum
      Pushing the start button the engine turns and will forever without starting. But if I use the kick start it will start with one or two kicks everytime, any idea as to what is going on. New good battery and coil, I'm ready to try anything. It's a great bike, but this is getting anoying. Thank you.
    • By Ted Aregi
      I've got a king quad 750cc has anyone converted the fuel pump relay to a stronger fuel pump relay on there king quad?
    • By bradleyheathhays
      Last time I installed a remote start system it was on an old Dynasty whose wiring was too delicate to work on really. A couple weeks after installation it started ok but a ton of white smoke came from under the dash. I uninstalled the entire system and everything was fine after that.

So in picking out a starter for this '02 Taurus I want something simple that will work with this car well. The start systems I'm seeing are generally designed to do door locking and unlocking, trunk release, etc. As this car already has those functions on a fob I won't be using any function on any future remote start system other than the remote start.

Can anyone with knowledge of my car recommend a decent but low cost / low extra functions start system that would work well with my Taurus?

Thanks

• By Elijah Stone
      Hi all new to the forum I have a Yamaha Moto 4 champ (100cc?) (YFM100) so I've been trying to get this thing to start for awhile honestly I'm running out of ideas so I'll start with the things Ive replaced and done first it was not trying at all and then I put a brand new battery then the terminals broke so I bought some nice copper ones fixed that up so now battery is got good voltage and all that I have checked all the plugs cleaned everything off so anyway it still wasn't trying but I couldn't get the crank case off and I didn't think using fire was a good idea lol so I busted the crank case off on the left side(if you are sitting on it) wierdly enough the flywheel started spinning I thought it was odd but went with it then I replaced the spark plug still wasn't getting spark so I replaced the ignition coil then it was getting spark next the carburetor was really gross I cleaned it out still wasn't working so I in turn decided just to replace it with a new one so I did (PS I never figured out how the fuel lines hook up if someone wants to help with that to lol) also for good measure put a new air filter so then I pressing the button Everytime I replace something and nothing so then I think what if it's the stator so I have no idea what a good or bad stator looks like but me being to rough I broke the wires on the thing but still no changes the fly wheel spins gets compression (I think) getting spark from spark plug idk other tidbits that might be useful I don't have a clutch line so idk if that has something to do with it I do have the break zip tied in to bypass the safety feature also the throttle cable is in fact broken and I'm working on buying a new petcock for my gas tank because my current one is broke I have very limited money this is supposed to be a project before I go to school for welding and automotive tech so I don't have any money to get a mechanic lol but I'm pretty confident in my ability to do anything u suggest any suggestions are welcome I'll edit and submit pics
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Mo Salem
      So my front hub broke, I’d like to put aftermarket on. Hard to find new oe ones. Please help. I’m new to all of this, I have some car knowledge and try to apply it
    • By oxidized_black
      tag : zukifreak

• By LMI
      Was using the quad the other day to shuttle wood from my pickup to my wood pile.  When the job was done I turned off the Quad and heard a bit of a racket from the front end.  When I got down underneath the sound seemed to be coming from the fan housing.  fan was moving in spurts and not quickly... much like a computer case fan that's had it's day.  What I know.
      Temp sensor is ok, as the fan tries to activate fan is getting some voltage as it is attempting to spin.  When I first bought it used I tested the fan direct to battery and it was fine. The fan was working ok even not direct wired as I went on a couple of rides and when stopped and idling the fan did run Seems to be free spinning with my finger read up in the manual and they require me to drop the rad.  now I'm not opposed to that as the rad has some damaged areas I want to try and straighten out.  But if I can get the fan working without, I can leave the rad as it is until next year.
      Fan assembly is about 300 bills, any work arounds or alternatives?  I even thought large computer case brushless fan.  smaller ones are about $7 larger ones better quality probably far below the 300.  They run standard 12v DC.
      Anything I should be doing before dropping the rad... other than check for obstructions even though it seems to spin, and trying to hardwire it to the battery again for a test to see if it acts the same?
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By gregj49
      Blows out black smoke when you rev it up how do you adjust the carb?