Quantcast

what is the law for riding on main roads in snow

we have to outrun them or they could get seized in Oregon. Fortunately the cops are usually someplace warmer than a patrol car and know they can't catch ya anyway haha

they have given up chasing snowmobiles who they KNOW they can't catch... it's great fun to go get a six pack after dark this way....

I say it's legal as long as they don't catch you.:biggrin: All kidding aside, I have been riding my ATVs on the snow covered roads around here since I was a kid, I have yet to have any problems with cops telling me that I can't do that. I even ride on the bare roads to get to a local trail system near my house. I have even passed cops on my way. I figure as long as I am not riding like a jackass, I will be ok. I just keep it at a safe reasonable speed, use hand signals, wear a helmet and I don't have problems. When I reach the dirt however, safe reasonable speeds are no longer necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Ajmboy
      So we are almost a month into winter and I've been so busy working on my house that up until today, I didn't realize that we just haven;t gotten any real snow yet to warrant putting the plow on my grizzly. So that got me thinking, what are the latest plows out there and what ATV plows are the best? I've got 2 snow plows for my grizzly, a quadboss pile driver atv plow set up and a snowsport ATV plow. They are both a bit dated now and I tend to stick with the snowsport due to ease of use and I just like it so much. So if you have a plow on your ATV, please let us know what it is and post a picture with your atv/plow would be awesome. Would also like to know what you like and dislike about it.
      This is back a while when I did a write up on these 2 plows.... in 2009 I got the snowsport and in 2012 I got the quadboss.

• By Gunny
      Hope you enjoy the video ....

• By Taksist
      I am desperately searching for a rear propeller shaft (main drive shaft) for a Vitacci EFI 650 / YL650UTV-1. The dealership I bought it from saw me coming - it's been nothing but a headache! I need to replace the entire shaft but *cannot* track one down! Consequently, if anyone has some tips on reforming a deformed yoke (the part that holds the u-joint), I'm all ears!
      I can give you pics as well as the whole story of how it happened, but since this is my first post, I figured I'd err on the side of less content initially.
    • By Batman
      Hello, I am hoping to get some input from someone who knows the Wisconsin ATV laws/routes. In Wisconsin, you are allowed to ride on roads if they are a designated ATV route. In my county, that is pretty much every road in my area with the exception of the state highways.
      Now where I find it confusing is this... Many villages/towns have their own ATV ordinances. State highways appear to be always off limits except to cross??? Federal highways cannot be crossed??? Then there are trails. In my area, the Gandy Dancer trail is for ATV use, but only on some parts... etc.
      I would love to find a path along roads to get to atv trails, that are about 10-15 miles away, but I am struggling to understand the mix of rules of where I am allowed to ride.
      Anyway, I am looking for any resources (paper maps, apps, websites, etc) that might have a map of roadways and trails in Wisconsin and maybe a color coded key of whether you can ride there.
      Thanks!
    • By Jim Denton
      These chains look way useful for anyone doing ❄️ snow work.