Quantcast

1989 Suzuki Quadrunner Ltd 4wd fast idle

Dennisg

Check where your throttle cable is installed into the carb if it had been removed when you had the top end done that it is put back togather right. And check to see if your cable is sticking for some reason. If it's running good and the adjustments screws are not changing the idle that would be a starting point to check and it's free. Look for any binding. I'm sure some others on here will help you to for things to check. Good luck with finding the problem!

I checked the connection of the throttle control valve and the carb and all seems well. It only goes in two ways and the first way the motor will not start. The first way the throttle will not work all of the way. So I believe that I have it in correctly. I also looked at the choke and choke cable connection and i believe that it is also correct. started it up and same thing. What is next as the repair manual does not cover such an incident?

Thanks

dennisg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
They kinda do. The king quads are great atvs that's what I ride and you won't believe the quality. I personally like the 700 and 750 over the others but they are all just great examples of suzukis high quality machines!

No disrespect but you'll find I'm kinda opinionated :D I'm really friendly though lol. But I hate the 700 king quad... almost with a passion! My buddy has had one since 2008 and first of all the caster problem almost killed me. I can't steer the hulkin beast once I try stopping! Its like a shopping cart with the wheels pointed the wrong way. The steering locks full left or full right and I can't pull it back without going fully the other way. Its dangerous! I'm surprised suzuki doesn't have a lawsuit over it. I've been beggin him to do the caster mod (well known mod) for 4 yrs but he don't want to cut into it because its "new". Caster adjustment Mod! Thanks DemiJohn

And then, its too freaking big! In all directions! We ride together a lot and I ride my little 2 wheel drive 250ex. I'm ALWAYS having to wait on him or run the winch cable for him. He's either pinned between trees or can't climb or descend hills that I can tackle easily on my 250ex. Its laughable. Sometimes I have to get off and ride it for him, but I see his point. The king has such a high center of gravity and its so huge that it is scary. Body english doesn't mean much on that beast. He flipped it over backwards 4 yrs ago and sheared his thumb off. Cost $20,000 to put it back on.

Ok if it isn't a hill or live trees he can't get around, its the ones that have fallen over. I can't drive over them, but I can man-handle the little quad enough to get over. The 700? Gotta stretch the winch cable out and take forever.

But hey he should get better traction in snow and mud right? I haven't seen it. A couple winters ago we went riding with another buddy on his MudPro. As long as the snow wasnt over 6 inches, I actually did better than either one of them did. Once the snow got a foot deep I was screwed. But I guess 4x4 must have some redeeming features lol.

A couple months ago we went camping and he pulled a 500lb trailer thru the mtns. I figured the king should be able to handle that no problem. Which it did going in, but coming out he got stuck on a red clay hill. Now the problem with CVT is evident. Once the tires started to spin, they took off full speed! He couldn't crawl. It was either full blast or nothing. CVT is nice for tooling around, but not good for manuevering technically or the best for traction. And there is a delay waiting for everything to kick in.

And I can't go without mentioning he's sent his clutch off for work 2 or 3 times. And the belt slips.

Its a pretty looking machine and it goes fast and oddles of power, but I wouldn't want one. In the real world trying to get from A to B its almost useless unless there is a nice road cut thru the woods. I guess it is nice to put your feet up on the racks and not worry about shifting. Its nice not to have to worry about a carb. But for me those things aren't nice enough to overcome all the problems it has.

I haven't had the 300 king for long, but I like that its narrow (42 inches), really low center of gravity, has gears with a super low range. Its like a tank or bulldozer. I'm not kiddin! And it won't take off uncontrollably like CVT will. The fastest it will go in super low is 5 mph at 9000 rpm. Actually 5th gear in super low is about the same as 1st gear in high range lol! I love it and it makes any amount of work I have to do to it worth it. Its light enough that I can pick it up somewhat if needed to unpin it from around trees. The 700? Not a chance.

I do wish they made a 300 king with fuel injection, but nothing exists that's even remotely close. The trend is for these huge gigantic machines. Everyone wants to see whose is bigger. If I wanted bigger, I would just drive my truck. The idea is to go smaller ;)

Sorry don't mean to offend. I'm just blunt and that's how I see it :)