Quantcast

No idea where to start

Plower

I just have no idea where to start.

My main goal for an atv is for plowing AND yard/garden work. I dont need the most powerful atv on the planet, just something that can haul my big 220lb around and push plenty of snow.

My main problem is I dont even know where to start looking. I dont know whats good, whats to stay away from, just like every product on the planet. Theres good and bad in each hobby.

So hopefully by now you have a jist or an idea of what Im talking about. Other than spending hours reading about each atv (time I dont have), I'm hoping someone can give me a quick lesson or show me a place where you can easily compare (side by side) different companies and sizes.

Thanks for any help.

i used a kawasaki 360 prairie 4x4 for that stuff for several years b4 i sold it 2 a friend who rides with us ... its still runs and rides great its a 2005 i used it for that for 4 1/2 years and it never broke down on me ...im only around 175 to 180 lb ... but put 2 50lb sand bags on it to push snow to help with traction... pulled a 60 inch swisher mower behind it weekly to mow ... had plunty of power to do it and pull a 500lb lawn roller around also... but im shure some one else has done things like this with other quads ...

Well if I was getting a 250, Id buy new, since they are pretty cheap. But if used, then I'd go bigger. Preferably I'd like to buy new. So if a 250 would be adequate for plowing, then it'd be good enough for me. I wouldnt be hauling too much in summer, so I'm basing my decision on one for the winter months.

maybe all you would have to do is keep on the snow, get rid of it as soon as it falls more or less, then it wouldn't be so hard on the machine. you just don't want to be pushing like a dozer ya know? in ontario the snow is wet and heavy, i used to be able to drop the blade halfway and skim the top away and go back and drop the blade on the ground and clear it. you have the same conditions where you are. if you do buy new, make sure you get a winch, and a warn winch. they are the best.

Thanks O_B. Yeah the snow here is always a mystery. Last winter we had wet, heavy snow drop at 1" per hour. Most of the time its just puffy, but we get our fair share of wet snow. :)

I had another question. I saw there was automatic clutch, semi auto clutch and manual clutch. Whats a semi auto clutch?

I would prefer automatic clutch since thats one less thing to do while riding. Im just lazy I guess. Auto clutch would just require shifting with foot, right? Sorry, I sound like a complete idiot :)

Edited by Plower

I have a 250 2wd and it sucks at pushing snow if over 2". Get a 450 or larger 4WD but not full time 4wd. Automatic is exactly what it says: automatic, the tranny does the work for you. Semi auto is you shift with foot or button on dash without having to hold a clutch lever in, manual is foot shift while holding clutch lever in. Let us know what you decided on, good luck!!:wink:

Are you buying new? I noticed you are from New York, so if you are, take a ride to Troy City Garage. I bought 3 quads there over the years..

2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220

2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450

2005 Suzuki King Quad 700

All were anywhere from $400 - $1000 off MSRP new. The bigger the CC, the more off. Look over these prices: ATVs

If you are plowing, I would recommend 4WD with DIFF lock feature. :yes:

I have a plow on my 85 yamaha 200 moto4. Sand bags are a must for rear traction for me. Im about 180lbs. When the snow get above the blade its a no go but for 6 or 8 inches of snow its no problem.

My 85 yamaha has the semi auto transmission. You shift with your foot and only have to let off the gas to shift no clutch lever.

Both 85 and 86 moto4 quads are still in use today for yard work

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Are you buying new? I noticed you are from New York, so if you are, take a ride to Troy City Garage. I bought 3 quads there over the years..

2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220

2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450

2005 Suzuki King Quad 700

All were anywhere from $400 - $1000 off MSRP new. The bigger the CC, the more off. Look over these prices: ATVs

If you are plowing, I would recommend 4WD with DIFF lock feature. :yes:

Ajmboy you need to put a sport quad in you collection !! you`ll never go back to a slow as* 4X4 quad :laugh: I`m not old enough for a 4x4 quad yet !!:yes:

I would go with a used utility quad 4wd. A 250 is more of a trial riding quad and lite work use. Go with a brand name Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki. 400cc and up if you can With my Kawasaki prairie 650 it's automatic with Hi, Lo & rev. 4 or 2 wd and a diff loc lever to lock the front diff if needed. My friend has a utility 250cc Honda ricon it's 2wd and it,s ok for just riding but it struggles climbing hills and he weighs about 180 to 190 I don't see it being able to plow snow. 4wd is a big plus for what you need one for I wouldn't wast the time looking at 2 wheel drive quads. If you shop around you can find some pretty good deals. Just this past weekend I rode with a guy he had a nice Honda 4oocc 2wd he made it about a 1/4 way up a hill and lost traction with the ground being damp and alot of leaves It wasn't from the motor size but being 2 wheel drive only. My quad and my other friends old 600 grizzley in 4wd could go slow up the same hill & mine could also go up it in 2wd as well may be due to it's weight but the more weight the more power you need to move it. I have around 2,300.00 in my quad. But if your looking in a 3 to 5,ooo range you should be able to find a 4wd utility quad with low hours or miles on it. Mine has over 3,ooo miles and had been damaged in the frontend I bought it for 1,600 not knowing about the frontend frame damage so thats how I'm up to 2,300 I replaced the frame.

I bet that sport quad you ride quadnut would get stuck time & time again if you tried to go where our 4WD quads are able to go and then me Amjboy could just ride by you and laugh as you set stuck in the mud with your fast quad. Ha Ha ! I'm to young for a slow quad so thats why I have a 650 4wd quad.

I bet that sport quad you ride quadnut would get stuck time & time again if you tried to go where our 4WD quads are able to go and then me Amjboy could just ride by you and laugh as you set stuck in the mud with your fast quad. Ha Ha ! I'm to young for a slow quad so thats why I have a 650 4wd quad.

Your 650 4X4 is a slow quad !!!:laugh:You would be surprised where my quad can go !! Remember one thing its not the quad but the riders skill who is riding it !! Alot of people are scared to ride a fast quad !! the only 4x4 I would own is the can-am outlander ! those things are bad as* !! I still like your 650 though !! I wonder how you 4x4 would do in the Dunes !!

NY is a boring place, esp when its covered in snow :P

Alright thanks for all replies.

Since I know I need a fairly large atv that has 4x4 capabilities, I better start looking used. For a used one, I'd go no more than $3,000. I've driven polaris', yamaha's and ridden honda ATC's. Hell, we own a Honda ATC, but I dont ride it. Not my style. :)

NY is a boring place, esp when its covered in snow :P

Alright thanks for all replies.

Since I know I need a fairly large atv that has 4x4 capabilities, I better start looking used. For a used one, I'd go no more than $3,000. I've driven polaris', yamaha's and ridden honda ATC's. Hell, we own a Honda ATC, but I dont ride it. Not my style. :)

You need to be down state sir! Ny is far from boring in the 5 boros

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

I could roost with all 4 tires & I have had my slow quad up around 60mph Thats on super swamper tires which are bias-ply had to back out of it. It starts to get a little unstable. The only sport quad I have rode I loved it was my cousins Suzuki 230 quadracer in the 1980's two stroke & a clutch. I would love to have a sport quad to go with my utility quad. I don't think I would give up my utility for a sport. I can still pop wheelies & get air go thru mud and trials pull a utility tralier loaded with fire wood and I have towed my neighbors car & a truck not at the same time just the same day.