Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Need Advice about a 9 year old and his ATV *HELP*

lovelymommy

Hello! I am new here and I need some help from the experts. My 9 year old son was given an adult sized 4 wheeler for Christmas. He has never ride one and has never taken a training course. Of course, I just found out about this but was never consulted about him getting this, either.

Anyways, he was able to ride it this morning and has never had any safety training and honestly, I am petrified he is going to get hurt. It will happen, it's just when.

I am in the state of Indiana and the law states you must be 14 years old to operate unless there is direct supervision of an 18 year old or other. What exactly does "direct supervision " mean? Is rhis within site of the person riding or is it someone that is ON the ATV?

Also if there are ANY SUGGESTIONS you guys can give me regarding this it would be helpful.

My son is only 9 and a very immature 9 year old at that. I feel he has no business being on this without proper training but apparently that isn't as important to some people.

Also, if there is anyone in the state of Indiana on here that can tell me the rules that would be awesome.

*in addition* the 4 wheeler is for an adult. My son is only 4 foot 9 and 65 pounda. He's tiny. I am afraid he is certainly nowhere close to having the weight to control this machine.

here is what i found online for Indiana ... Indiana State ATV Information

i would suggest that you get him in a training course first ...

my son was 8 or 9 when i gave him my 350 Honda, i did put the fear of God into him first though, Rules : helmet ALWAYS, take your time-never rush anywhere, absolutely no F-n around on it or you lose it, always check the oil, wash it when you;re done. he did have a little experience on a dirt bike previously, so safety wasnt a big factor as i set the same ground rules ... your boy will love the atv im sure, praise him on it and give him hell when warranted, ride with him too. maybe you can get one to go with him ... it is fun !!

im sure he will get some scrapes and or bruises along the way, but the learning curve for him is respect of the bike ,,, JMO

A adult quad for a lil kid. CRAZY!!!..You are putting your child in serious danger!! The kid deserves a proper sized quad. IMO a 90/125 cc machine.

Some kids have vast expierience so their parents feel more comfy letting their kids ride a dangerously large machine.

You kid has non. Like you suspect, he will wreck, he will get scared, and possibly not want to ride anything ever again.

Go to atvsafetyinstitute.com and they have common sence rules on the proper sizing of a quad to a child.

After that, go slap the person that bought that big machine in the first place.

What you want to do is both of you, attend a atv safety coarse and really think about downsizing to a smaller atv for your son. If you decide to get a smaller one for him, and can afford to maintain the larger one (no bunt intended)spend quality time together riding the trails. This way you and your son will have a great time exploring, having fun and really getting to know each other. Best of all it will teach your little man responsibility,respect,the safe way of practicing a sport.:yes:

Thank you for all of the information. Like I've said. I had no idea his father did this. He's never ever been on a bike like this before. He's never driven on one. I wish he would've talked to me because I know NOTHING. He claims to not even know the make and model of the thing. He claims all he knows is its red and 125cc...that is it. He's holding back and not sure why. As long as he takes the people training courses, proper safety equipment and all that good stuff...I'll be ok. I just wish I knew!! That is why I and being a panicked mother right now.

Down sizing to, lets say a 90cc has some drawbacks. Most notibly the weight of the bike. I got my son a 90 utility first and in our high desert with gravel and ricks it was too light and too unstable. After 6 monts of riding and worrying about his safety, I got him a 250 Arctic Cat. Bike is a little larger and much more stable. There is a throttle stop limit adjusting screw behing the thumb lever. I just loosened the locking nut and screwed it in to limit him to 15MPH. Don't make it too slow or he woun't be able to get up steeper grades or out of a deep rut. The 250 was so much more stable and safer for him to drive.

125? That's not adult size. My youngest was 7 when he started riding a 300 king quad. He's 9 now and complaining about wanting something bigger.

Good advice by all about a training course if neither you or his father have experience. Helmet always.

Give us more detail about what it is or post a pic. We might be able to tell if it has some known safety issues. Might have a throttle governor too.

Otherwise, live free and ride hard.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

since its his first one you need to dial down the throttle. some have a screw built in right at the throttle. if not you can buy a kit. then you can lower the power by 1/2 or even more. once he gets used to power and learning to turn and stop you can dial power back up. its much better to get him to learn on a smaller atv though. learning how to crash and fall is an art. some people have it some do not. an atv weighs a ton compared to a kid and even an adult.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help. I am stuck because I cannot control what he does at his dads house and he refuses to let me in on any of it. He won't give him the atv course (that is free) because I suggested it, and says he doesn't need a chest protector.

My son doesn't take responsibility for his own actions and those are the most dangerous people on ATVs. Any suggestions on what avenues I can take would be greatly appreciated. I refuse to see my son hurt over his dad's hard head or foolishness.

To be honest mom, you may be a lil too worried about all this.

A 125 isnt a full sized quad and a 9 year old should be ok on it. Most 125s are sluggs so warp speed wont happen.

The rider needs to know how to ride a quad (under supervision) before he goes to a safety course. They teach the safety aspect not how to ride.

Yes a full set of gear (helmet, boots, chest protector, and gloves) would be a great thing buit as long as he has a helmet on its ok.

Take a deep breath. Itll be OK. :)

I`m with LT80. We are trying to help you calm your fears.

My kids never wore chest protectors nor took a safety class for that matter. Helmets yes and always. You can take the boy to the free class on your own. Him learning to ride a 4 wheeler will help him be a better car driver when he gets there. BTW, automobiles are statistically far more dangerous.

I do wonder if you are more concerned about seeking affirmation that "You are right, and he is wrong". If so, I doubt many of us here will condemn those who participate in and promote the sport we are passionate about.