Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Buick350X

Exploiting a loop hole in the law, turn 4 wheeler into rev trike

Exploiting a loop hole in the law, turn 4 wheeler into rev trike

for a long while I have been trying to get a real 4 wheeler street legal.

the problem is with the state laws, if it has 4 wheels, its a car and has mega more rules.

If it only has 3 wheels, its a trike and can be made from cobbled junk parts held together with duct tape and they will plate it

I wonder if anyone would have insight on changing a 4 wheeler over to a single rear wheel?

[ I can't afford some $40-60,000 canam or super bike modded into a car, rev trike kit ]

I want something I can truly ride year round on and off road. Ive rode enough old Honda 3 wheelers that I know I do not want a traditional motorcycle trike. So the single wheel has to go out back.

16989212.jpg

16989212.jpg.9f47f3c7c440850cbf7aff6191a1ac02.jpg

• Like 1

Looks a bit goofy when he turned, maybe cause he used a reg rounded rear tire. With it now being like a car, trike or even a side car your not leaning to turn, so the rear tire can be wide and flat.

as if the front end isn't articulating when he turns, the rear end is leaning.

Though I do see a flaw, 4 wheelers are often geared for those tiny rear tires. a 16-17" rear tire could really mess up the gearing.

Can ya imagine that little tire on the yam I posted, spinning at 70+ MPH on the eway for a while?

Id almost like to do a rear tire like that, wide and flat. But not so small.

There was a time when I was in contact with a person in San Fran that converted a Raptor 660 into a reverse trike and made it street legal. He was going to do some more R&D and try to market a kit. But that was back in early 2000s..Not sure what happend to him..His screen name was Legaleagle on some trike sites..I also believe this was his ride..

3wheelraptor.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shane Pillar said:

Why would you take a perfect racing Yamaha and make it a trike? That is a disgrace 

Because  he  can use it  on the  highway  in 3  wheel  mode   and  trail riding in  4  wheel setup..   Didn't  you  notice  it  only  takes him a  half  hour  to  switch  between  3  and  4  wheel  setup ?
I've  also  seen  conversions  done to   allow  a  snow mobile to  be  used in summer  as  a  rear wheel  driven trike.  

• Like 1

I  think it would depend on the  state ( or province) what  modifications to  a  quad  or  snowmobile  would be  necessary to  make them road legal;  or even  if they  could be made road legal. Every state  and  province  has its own traffic laws so  anyone contemplating such a  project would be  wise  to  check  the legality of it  out  first. Here,  in  BC some rules governing  ATVs on  secondary  roads vary  between the much  less populated  and developed north, the  rural southern  areas  and the cities / primary   roads and  highways.

The   ATV  shown may have been  street  legal as a  trike (  trikes  are considered  motorcycles in BC) in  the  lower  mainland of BC  if  it  had  a speedometer; but  I wouldn't  guarantee  it.

Edited by davefrombc
Added the "maybe"
  • Like 1

Those BRP/Can-Am Spyders were popular for a while here in NY, but I didn't see that many of them over the summer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Kodiak 400 4x4 wiring problem

Hello All,
      I am looking for any help or suggestion that I might be able to get on how to wire a '04 Kodiak 400 4x4 motor into a Coleman Outfitters / Hisun 400 4x4 Utv. This machine had the Kodiak motor installed and was running until someone stripped the wiring to install new harness. They destroyed the old harness so it of little use now. We have a new harness for the Utv and part of the wiring to the Kodiak CDI and Voltage regulator/rectifier is in place. For now I am just trying to find a good diagram of the wiring needed to Power up the motor. Any help with this part of our issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to help my son this machine running since he bought into this nightmare.
      Thank you,

By res2fr, in General ATV Discussion

• 2 replies
    • HARLEY DAVIDSON ATV - 4 WHEELER

FOR SALE: $10,800 or best offer.

Custom built Street Legal Harley Davidson 4 Wheeler . 

Answer to your first question ...
      YES, you can drive it anywhere.. on highways.. back roads... neighborhoods.. off road... ANYWHERE ITS LEGAL FOR CARS or 4-Wheelers !

This took a lot of work and effort with many divisions of the transportation dept. and through multiple attorneys advice.

This is one of only two 4 wheelers that are street legal in the U.S.A. (Excluding Montana, parts of Arizona, and New York).

Now for the details. 

Its a 1989 Harley Davidson Frame and Engine.
      The motor is matching numbers to frame and title.
      The motor is 883cc beefed up to 1200cc.

This bike has too many upgrades to list as you can see in the pictures.

Please ask questions if needed.

This bike has been in Dirt Rider Mag and several other places.

There is more than $20,000 in parts and man hours put into this bike.

Additional Upgrades I will be starting this month:
      Turn Signal Relay and Dakota Digital Upgraded Speedometer

This bike has Super Swamper Vampire tires in some pics (THESE ARE NOT STREET LEGAL TIRES) and do not come with bike.

This bike has STI Black Diamond Tires with black STI3 rims in other pics. (THESE ARE DOT APPROVED TIRES AND ARE STREET LEGAL).

This bike also has ROAD Street Tires too.... 

YES 2 SETS OF TIRES !

All 2 sets of tires and rims are included in price.

Top speed is around 100mph-140mph. This thing will move. 

Be the first to own a 4 wheeler on the road and in the woods... 

Please call 812-305-11 nine six I live in Lexington. KY

By h1000101b, in ATV For Sale? Post it here.

• 5 replies
    • Honda 2013 420 reverse problem

My 2013 Honda 420 occasionally won't go into reverse. I don't think it is in the transmission as it does not make a click or noise. I think it is in the lockout. Someone told me when I ride near the ocean the salt can get on something. Any ideas?

By Keith Proudman, in Honda ATV Forum

• 6 replies
    • Sand Hollow State Park OHV Area (Utah)

ride Where to ride ATVs and UTVs Utah is one of the best states for riding ATVs and UTVs and Sand Hollow State park OHV Area is one of the best OHV riding areas in Utah. View the full article

By ATVNetwork, in ATV News, Articles & Press Releases

• 0 replies
    • 1994 Kawasaki Bayou 300 ignition problem.

I am having what I think is ignition problems. My 1994 Bayou 300 seems to flood very easy when starting. At first I thought it was a carb problem but while testing the spart I noticed that there is no spark while the engine is turning over. When you let off of the ignition swith there is one spark. But only when you let off of the ignition switch. It has a new coil, plug wire, and plug. Any ideas? I dont know if it is the ignition box, or maybe the ignition switch. Any help would be appreciated

By JamesD, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 55 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By ksinfield1
      Has anyone bypassed the rev limiter button on the 550 Grizzly. Since I have put tracks on the quad, I need to run it at higher rpms in 4X4 in the deep snow. Is there any downside to bypassing the switch or even installing a 2nd bypass toggle switch?
    • By GOODY37
      I have a 99 kawasaki prairie 300 4 wheeler that was stolen from me, and i recently got it back. It had been hot wired, and ignition busted out. I need to know what are the color of the wires that connect to the ignition switch? Thanks in advance.
    • By adrian031987
      ok so i recently traded my warrior for a big bear 350 the big bear had no electrical no lights no neutral light nothing i found a blown fuse under the seat next to the battery replaced it now i have lights but no neutral light or starter a friend that owned the bike before me said he tested the starter on his other big bear and it worked. the bike dose start with pull start with or with out the key and and button in start position but wont shut of with the key only the button on the handle bar any help figuring it out would be much appreciated
    • By OutlawGade
      [ame]
      [/ame]