Quantcast

2000 Kawasaki Bayou KLF300c Starter Rebuild

Has anyone on this forum ever done a starter rebuild instead of buying a new one? 

I have a 2000 KLF300c that I have changed the solenoid on and am getting power to the starter but no electric start.

I was looking at options online and I can get a replacement for $45 but see that rebuild kits are only around $15, anyone have any luck with these?

• Admin changed the title to 2000 Kawasaki Bayou KLF300c Starter Rebuild

$45  for a replacement  is a great price. Rebuilding your starter is not difficult if it  is  just a  matter  of installing  new  brushes. Most kits  have the  brushes  and brush plate assembly  as a unit so  you  only  have to  remove the  old assembly,  clean  the  commutator  and install  the  new  brush assembly. You  just  undo  the two  bolts  holding the  starter together  and slide the  end cap off.  The  brush assembly is in that  end cap.  The  housing  holding the  fields  slides right  off  ,leaving the  drive end cap  on the  shaft of the   rotor.  Clean  the commutator,  slide the  housing  back  on  and  install the other  end  with the new  brush assembly  back  on ( it takes a little fiddling  to  get the  brushes   on the commutator  as  you  do  it ).  Line  up the  bolt holes  and  tighten them  up. You  have  to  make sure  the  bolt  holes  to  mount the  starter  back  on the  motor  and the power  connector  are  oriented right  because you  can assemble the starter  with them  out  of proper  alignment so  you  can't  connect the  power  wire  back  on in the quad.  Removing  and re-installing the  starter is the  hardest  part of the  whole  job .  I replaced the  brush assembly  in  my  Honda starter.  The  brush plate assembly   looks  identical  to the  one  for  your  KLF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

$45  for a replacement  is a great price. Rebuilding your starter is not difficult if it  is  just a  matter  of installing  new  brushes. Most kits  have the  brushes  and brush plate assembly  as a unit so  you  only  have to  remove the  old assembly,  clean  the  commutator  and install  the  new  brush assembly. You  just  undo  the two  bolts  holding the  starter together  and slide the  end cap off.  The  brush assembly is in that  end cap.  The  housing  holding the  fields  slides right  off  ,leaving the  drive end cap  on the  shaft of the   rotor.  Clean  the commutator,  slide the  housing  back  on  and  install the other  end  with the new  brush assembly  back  on ( it takes a little fiddling  to  get the  brushes   on the commutator  as  you  do  it ).  Line  up the  bolt holes  and  tighten them  up. You  have  to  make sure  the  bolt  holes  to  mount the  starter  back  on the  motor  and the power  connector  are  oriented right  because you  can assemble the starter  with them  out  of proper  alignment so  you  can't  connect the  power  wire  back  on in the quad.  Removing  and re-installing the  starter is the  hardest  part of the  whole  job .  I replaced the  brush assembly  in  my  Honda starter.  The  brush plate assembly   looks  identical  to the  one  for  your  KLF

What do I need to do to make removing and replacing the starter as easy as possible? Do I not just unbolt it and bolt it back on?

I  don't  know  just what the access to the starter is like  on your  machine , but mine was a tight squeeze in and  out .  Disconnect the battery  before starting  anything else .  You'll  have  2 or 3  mounting bolts  and the power wire  to  disconnect  to  get the starter  out .On mine it  was  just a  matter  of wiggling the starter  out after  it was disconnected. I also  had to open  up the  gear train  from the  stareter to the  start clutch on mine  and slip  a  gear off the  starter output shaft . You  may have to do the same on yours  to  change or repair the  starter. Download  a copy of the  shop  manual and it should take you through the step  by step  procedure.  You can  download it through this link

• 1 month later...