Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

joseph

1990 Suzuki LT 4wd need help running issue

my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted

Possible air leak. Improper air filter/ dirty. Air fuel screw at wrong setting.
What's the year make and model

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

its a 1990 suzuki lt4wd ,i have tried every thing when it first started it ran like a 4cyl. would when only 1 cyl was fireing then it would clear up when i worked the throttle now it just only will run at a idle runs smooth at idle

It really sounds like a fuel issue.  Have you checked the fuel tank for any blockage ? Maybe dirty filter if there’s one in place as well as a clogged fuel valve at the bottom of the tank.  Also could be dirty carburetor problems.   I would start from the ya k down to the carb and go from there.  

Something was possibly missed. I’ve done it plenty of times. I’ve rebuilt my carb and put it all back together just to find something that was over looked.  It happens. Secondary looks do usually turn up the culprit  and if not then at the very least it completely rules out that portion of the problem. 

thanks for advice but i have checked fuel flow even hooked up another tank so it would feed carb by gravity,also i bought a after market carb it does same thing iam not driving the atv its just sitting there in neutarl is there any thing electrical that could cause this? i sure appreceate the help i tried going to the suzuki forum site but after joining couldnt figure out how to ask a question cant even log in anymore its crazy how complicated that site is so i hope you guys can help me i have cleaned tank new fuel shut off new fuel lines new vacume line to fuel pump new coil new spark plug new plug wire new coil rebuilt carb set float

E brake switch off? My kfx and my banshee have a rev limiter when it's on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Your spark may be breaking down as the RPM’S come up.  This happened with my Polaris which had a rev limiter on it also.  

So @06kfx440 may have a point.

I was pointed in the direction of a faulty rev limiter on one of my bikes through the forum here. 

I purchased this spark tester and put it in line with the spark plug. Started and watched the spark break down/fail as I reved the bike.  I removed the rev limiter and my problem was solved.   Worth a shot and cheap enough to try. It’s also a good tool to have.  

Having ruled out the fuel system it may be time to start looking in the ignition system.  

Rev limiter

bad pick up coil 

stator coil problem

regulator

cdi box  

4 of the 5 above listed parts can be tested and the repair manual will explain as far as how and what numbers should be shown on the tester during this process. 

I attached  a pic of the spark tester. 

F5844F48-ACEF-4CD9-A89D-679349639777.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/2/2018 at 3:33 PM, joseph said:

my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted

Is that the compression reading before or after adjusting valve  just wondering 

not sitting around a lot compression 188 after valves checked they where actually ok also i had put after market air filter on it because putting carb on and off so much this atv is tough to work on with front and rear fenders on

was just wandering because this would indicate bad gas or gummed up carb as most others have pointed out its either gas or electrical related

Added ATV info to topic title and moved to Suzuki ATV forum. 😁

My bet would be coil related or fuel starvation.

• Like 1