Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jeff Wharton

2000 Arctic Cat 300 Cuts Off On Acceleration

I have a 2000 Arctic Cat 300 4 wheeler. I have been having some carburetor issues. So i bought a new carb. Now I'm having these issues. The unit will start and idle fine, when i go to accelerate it wants to cut off. So i checked to make sure it was getting gas and the fuel filter will be full of gas and then once the carb opens the filter drains down and will not refill quick enough to run. So i checked to make sure gas was flowing to the filter and it is flowing fine through the line. I remove the filter and run the gas line directly to the carb and the engine idle fine and then it will run good as i ride it for about 10 minutes then it will start with the same issues again i cannot accelerate enough to move the 4 wheeler. Every time i accelerate the unit will cut off. What is wrong with this thing. My 400 Arctic Cat is doing the same thing except it will backfire, I'm lost i have tried everything i know to do, what am i missing here. Thanks for your help

It sounds like a lean  issue  with both quads.  Is the  stock  air  filter in place ?  Some quads lean  out and don't want to  run right without the air  filter .  Check to  make  sure  there's nothing restricting the fuel  flow to the carb. Also  check  to see if a small  piece of  crud has gotten  into  the  carb inlet  and resstricting fuel  flow  past the float needle . The new  carb you  bought might not be calibrated properly  for your  machine. Check the  clip  on  the  main throttle  needle.  You may need to  move  it down towards the needle  tip  to  make it open more  under throttle.  Check  is  the  idle  air  screw. It  may be  adjusted a  little too  lean. That would let it  idle but  when you  go to  open the throttle  the mixture goes  a bit to  lean  and it stumbles.  All  these lean  burn  symptoms  would be  more pronounced  when the motor is  warm.

Those are about all  I   can think of to  suggest  checking ..  Good  luck  and  Happy  New Year .

• Like 2

Is the machine gravity fed or is there a vacuum fuel impulse pump? Is the gas tank under the seat in the rear? Or is the gas tank on top?

Another thing to check is the vent line to the gas tank, if its plugged up, it won't allow fuel to flow properly.

Mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By donerightautomotive84
      Ok so 2000 sportsman new.caltric carb new fuel pump new jug and piston new cdi and coil finally get to start it and itll idep for 5 to 10 seconds and die what am i missing people any help id love ya forever lol
      Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
    • By Venom
      I am working on a friends 2006 Suzuki LT-Z50 that they purchased not running. I took apart the carb to rebuild it and someone had already been in there... They really destroyed the Air/Fuel Mixture opening in the body of the carb.. It is in no way repairable.
      I have not been able to find an aftermarket carb to fit this model.
      Does anyone know if an aftermarket carb is available?
      Thanks for any help.
    • By Brock Kincaid
      Ok so just picked up an 02 ds 650 and the guy said he couldn't get it to start. He had a shop put new shims in it and I had them checked and they were ok now things I've done is new plugs even though guy had just put new plugs in it.. got new carb 42mm just like the one that was on it.. bought new intake manifold because the one that was on it someone got way to tweaked out and ported the shit out of it excuse my language but yeah so installed new intake manifold and it just won't start like its not getting enough fuel.  Timing seems to be right it does fire every now and again but just barely.. did a compression test today and it was at 90psi.. i know thats low but don't know where I'm losing compression.. valves we at .06 and .07 when checked im lost ive tried everything I know and can't figure it out
    • By Brent Wright
      What's a good size to start a 10 year old on?
    • By Jeff Cotter
      I recently purchased a 2000 polaris xplorer 400 4x4.  When I bought it the starter was bad, speedometer didn't work,  and it had been sitting for 5 years. I replaced the battery, and starter. Changed all fluids, and got it running correctly.  Then replaced the speedometer in an attempt to make sure the awd would be available when needed.  And took it out for a couple hour ride with a buddy.  
      It ran great that ride with no serious problems just a little carb issues which I was able to take care of on the trails.  Then a couple days later I decided to take it out for a ride by myself,  again ran great no issues other than a couple times it seemed to cough and then take off again.  That day when I was loading it I noticed coolant dripping onto the trailer and the overflow bottle was empty.  
      Got home and decided to drain the counter balancer, when I did that I got about 3 cups of coolant. Im guessing that it needs new seals and all for the water pump.
      My question is how difficult is it to do the water pump and should I attempt it or should I send it down the road to the polaris dealership to get it done? 

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Guythis448
      Looking for help on wiring up stock wiring harness specifically for a '88 Honda TRX 300 
      If anyone could drop a link or send me a PM it would be much appreciated 
    • By Ashton Crawford
      Hello everyone, i have 2000 Polaris Trail Blazer 300 I’ve been stumped on for weeks. I’m having a lot of issues starting the quad. I cleaned the carb spotless because I thought it was a carb issue and bought a new fuel line because it wasn’t getting fuel. The carb gets fuel perfectly fine now but it won’t start. The spark plug I a little worn out but it’s good enough for just one start. The only time it does “start” is when I spray starter fluid into the carb. But it never stays on. It’ll start for a bout a second then just die out immediately even if you’re giving it some throttle and the choke is on. I have no clue what I should do. If you need more information, have questions, or have any slight idea what the issue would be and how I could resolve it. Please reply ASAP. Thank you.
    • By Alan Callison
      OK ya'll.My son bought this thing and was told its a Kaw Bayou 300. Maybe. I cant find any numbers on it.The one tag I did find its so faded as to be unreadable. Its a long shot but maybe someone can help ID it. Thanks in advance.

• By Maurais
      I’m looking for new replacement shocks (front & rear.) on my 1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4. New OEM shocks are upwards of $400. I haven’t pulled the rims off to check the eyelet to eyelet length but I’m hoping an expert on this site does know( I called Kawasaki direct yesterday and they were of know help.) Any technical help would be appreciated. TY fellow members. Vic
    • By scottj11
      Hello, how are you'ns doing? I'm in the process of tearing my Kawasaki Bayou down to fix a rattling noise and an oil leak. I'll probably be asking questions about this project. My step-son has an Arctic Cat 300, he was riding yesterday and when he turned it off it was running fine, but it won't do anything. The lights come on but it won't turn over or anything. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? TIA