Quantcast

Picked up 93 suzuki quadrunner 250 2x4

Alright well i got the carb cleaned and a bunch of other stuff done doesnt seem to be running as rich, but now i think its running lean i keep hearing a pinging for about 3 minutes during start up. scared to run it in place for a long time because it seems to be getting pretty hot and not sure if its getting to the point of it being dangerous

I ended up taking the whole carb off taking the float and the diaphragm and cleaning with fresh gas. Also ran a bunch through the whole carb body it self bunch of black sludge came out. Im installing a fuel line filter now, seems it doesnt have one installed someone never installed one again after changing the line i think

Havent checked the tank yet waiting to run more of the motor treatment through first. Now that I added this motor treatment its burning away all the carbon it smells like. Will run fine for a second and than spit white smoke like crazy on reving, Once i really start giving it just starts puffing white smoke out the back but i stuck the borescope back in and it seems to be cleaning the carbon up went from wet oil soot to cleaner pistons where i can start to see the piston is self again. It doesnt smell rich so i think i got the carb tuned in right but the engine is just blowing smoke at the moment. gotta get that air filter in change it out and see if it improves a bit, if not im guessing the top end gaskets are fu****

Already im starting to feel a totally different bike, Grabbed my portable tach and hooked it up and tuned the idle in after adjusting the carb a bit more was about 300 rpm short. Gave it some gas and really felt some power for once went from sounding like a drip carbed engine on a cart to an actual atv again

Edited by pablo Blake

Im getting really worried as im getting it more and more tuned in im getting this kinda ringing sound, i mean i checked if its preignition doesnt seem to be, Its not like scraping metal but like a light ting that speeds up as i rev it up and eventually goes away

Tried both a hotter and cooler spark plug sounds about the same, Was gonna see if i need to adjust the ignition timing for if the chain is bad. OR if unluckily its even worse and  piston rings are worn and no good or the block it is scored, Im just hoping its not those last things

Edited by pablo Blake

Are you sure its coming from the top end and not the clutch ? 
Only thing that comes to mind is the valve and cams up top if thats where your sure its coming from.  Pull the valve cover off and inspect everything, cam decompression device and the timing chain slack, valve clearance etc.  
What octane gasoline are you running in the bike?

Honestly havent even refilled the gas since i got it was given to me with a full tank so i just added the motor treatment to it which said it'd raise the octane of the gas Plus add some special chemical thats ment to clean off carbon. Why would it come from the clutch? i didnt even have it in gear its sitting on stands idling just spitting smoke, Just from my limited knowledge the gas in the oil + the smoke = worn head gasket+ worn piston rings, Unless i have a full on warp of the head from someone overheating it will check the flatness of the surface when i get it off

Edited by pablo Blake

Well sh** alright will unhook the line and drain it than flush it with some diesel and than old gas and refill with new gas, OR will the diesel hurt the tank even if its flushed? should i use kerosene instead? I've always used diesel to clean up my sh** because of the high ignition threshold worse it'll do is pass it into the oil or spit it into the exhaust

Edited by pablo Blake

You would hear the head gasket leaking. Spray the sides of the head where the gaskets are with windex and crank the engine you will see bubbles.   

I would drain the tank of all the gas and that chemical and change the oil as well. Put the proper spark plug and some 87 octane gas and see what happens. If the carburetor is adjusted properly the rest of the carbon will burn off. 

• 3 months later...

Getting some more work done on this silly monster now that its warmer out

No photo description available.

Image may contain: one or more people
Image may contain: bicycle

Finished the rear u joints already and got the whole rear drive back together and running multiple parts were seized and some serious gunk build up in the break reservoir

Edited by pablo Blake

Yeah its been a bit of a sh** show found a bent tie rod couple others and had to straighten them out asmuch as possible with hydraulics especially the bottom u had a nice bend in it. So did the skid plate. Both the brake calipers were seized and had to do some surgery and they were just filled one side i got fixed the other needs to be replaced. Im now working a bit on the exhaust system and tryna get everything back to shiny for when i install a hunting/performance muffler

Edited by pablo Blake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...