Quantcast

Atv Supplies and parts

Just a couple of things since i get various atvs. 

They always need seat cover and always need oil and other minor items.

My question is Do you buy any specific motor oil for them, i heard you must get atv oil or will mess up the clutch.

Not sure if correct but didnt want to find out hard way. Is there a cheaper oil or can you use regular motor oil?

Next they always need a new seat cover, any good places to buy bulk or cheap vinyl to re do the seats with out spending

30-50 dollars on a specific cover?

whats you go to places for parts, i use amazon, ebay  any others that offer a good deal? 

that goes for hard parts or just cables and or clips, wiring, bolts etc no wrong answer here. 

always looking for new ways to find parts for the older atvs. TIA Az

download__5__jpeg-1428537.jpeg

i use valvaline 10w-40 like@Ajmboy.  i like it and it seems to hold up well.  i changed it out in my sportsman 500 and idk how but just changing the oil gave me an extra 700rpm on the top speed i think it was.  went from topping at 6500rpm to 7200rpm lol

as for seat covers thanks @Ajmboy also for the tips.  so far the seats on my newer atvs have been in good condition and the older ones wernt worth more than a duct tape fix lol but i just got a rubicon thats in dire need of a new seat cover and id rather not make it look like a roll off dumpster with a duct tape seat

I use whatever ATV specific oil is available locally, it's all too high.  It HAS to be JASO rated so that's either going to be ATV specific oil or Rotella T.

Seat covers, I quit making them years ago.  With modern ATV's the only way to make a cover fit is to cut and stitch, they don't just wrap from a flat piece anymore.  So $36 or whatnot for a cover that fits properly and I just have to stretch and staple?  That's the way I go.

Edited by MarkinAR

On the topic of parts, it really depends on what I need.  Most anything like a CDI, reg/rect, stator, etc I'll go to ebay first and look for 2nd hand OEM.  Any consumable parts like brake and throttle cable, bulbs, etc I'll look all over.  Usually start at Amazon because I'm lazy.  For any important hard parts like rings, specific thrust washers and so on I used Partzilla for years but have recently moved to using Babbitt's Online.  They have a pretty handy app that I can look stuff up on while I'm working on an ATV.  Partzilla's ship times also have gone to crap.  I do go to the local owned parts store though for bearings whenever possible.  The brake drum side bearing on a Honda 300 is $40 from Honda, but I get a Timken from the local parts store (non chain) for $6.03.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Been awhile since I posted, finally retired and now have more time to enjoy ATV.  Using Rotella T6 with Wix 51358 XP filters for engine; Valvoline full synthetic 5w-20 in trans, 2017 Sportsman 570.  ATV runs in AZ in high 100's in summer and never had any issues and machine actually runs quieter than with the original Polaris oils.

• 10 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By skittle021
      So I've got a Hisun 550 that I was doing some work on that required removing the CVT and it's housing. Upon attempting to reinstall the clutch, sheaves, etc, I found that the belt no longer fits - it's far too wide. None of the parts have been replaced, they're all OEM. Exactly the same parts as what I took off a few weeks ago.
      To be more specific, my belt is 1.25in wide, but the gap between the clutch and the primary sheave is only 7/8in wide. I'll include a few photos to explain.
      Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre problem? Any help at all would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a month. I'm open to just about any suggestion.
      Photos: 

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!