Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Okay so here's the deal I really need some help I got the quad from my buddy he had the head redone because of smoke it was either two things rings or valves so all that looks good I got the exhaust valve and intake valve to spec with the rocker arms then I had made sure cam was in TDC it lined up in spec then I was trying to start it up for the first day it started but ran like s*** then I had the next day recharge the battery and tried to start it again still run like s*** but I was just curious if it ran so I was thinking it was taking too long to start up so I clean carburetor today and retried to start it up and the only electrical part that was disconnected was the ground to the reverse gear controller so that I could take off the throttle then I pulled the spark plug out to check to see if I had spark the last 2 days I had spark cuz I pulled the spark plug out and seen it but today when I went to clean the carburetor out I accidentally left the battery on on all night and now I have no spark at all I pulled off the spark plug boot the screw thang and put my hand on the spark plug wire as I turned it over with the starter by the way the starter runs great now but zero electricity I'm just wondering how do I test my coil what is the resistance/ohm's it needs to be inspect I can't find it nowhere and how do I eliminate the fact if it's the stator somebody says something about a CDI and I seen a form saying if I unplug the voltage regulator your spark plug might spark again but I clean most of the connections I still have no spark

1 hour ago, Mech said:

If you download a workshop manual it will have all those details you are asking about..  There's probably a manual on this site. Up the top of the page where it says "downloads", repair manuals.

I went to find my make and model I found a warrior 350"same motor" and 2004 Yamaha raptor 350 "service manual not there" 

2 minutes ago, Yamess350 said:

I went to find my make and model I found a warrior 350"same motor" and 2004 Yamaha raptor 350 "service manual not there" 

Okay I read some more it says I can't download until 10 post wth is that pos

2 hours ago, Mech said:

The policy is probably to keep people here..haha

There are other places we can download workshop manuals..  Google for "workshop manual", and your model and year.

I've tried that maybe I don't know what I'm doing 😅 but I bought a new pick up and stator also a new coil I'm going to change them individually and let you when I get it 

4 hours ago, spock58 said:

Usually it's a bad pickup coil on Yamaha's that I've worked on, seen it more than once. 

I'm interested if that's your issue as well.

So update I've changed the stator and pickup coil today still not the problem high key upset but I'm waiting on my coil (comes tomorrow in the mail) which I've read is rarely the problem but easy change out if it's not the coil I'm going to disassemble my light/kill switch tomorrow I really scratching my head on why is it the fact that I had spark 1 day and the next when leaving battery on and cleaning the carburetor is that I have no spark 😤😒

So from my understanding what makes the spark

Coil =unknown

Stator/pick up coil =good

Cdi/ECU =unknown

Sparkplug =good 

Battery/ I think it's good but it has 12.8 and I have charger soo =maybe good

Regulator rectifier =unknown

Wiring harness/connectors =good I don't see them cut in them or not messed up. =Maybe good

Ground more than likely dirty =good?

Kill switch =unknown

Update I tested the ignition coil I got very werid ohms and I tested the orange wire and I believe I had gotten 24v or something like that going to the orange wire right before ignition coil as you know the plug its self was getting nothing no spark even when taking boot of I've read if you unplug the voltage regulator than if you get 1 spark out of the ignition coil than is 9 times out of 10 the stator and pickup coil so I had a feeling that it was the CDI/ECU I bought a cheap one off of Amazon and it ran me like $30-40 but and my gut feeling was right I really could not find ways to test the CDI but looking at schematic diagram it showed that it takes stator voltage runs it to CDI turns around and takes that voltage and runs it to the  regulator and the regulator runs it right back to CDI and builds up voltage in a coil "ignition coil" and has a signal wire which is the black wire on the ignition coil and tells it when to spark "timing" 

• Solution

So in my conclusion if you have no spark 

1 Check wires and ground if bad clean connections/ if good go to 2

2 Check sparkplug if bad clean or buy new spark plug / if good go to 3

3 Unplug voltage regulator and turn the stator on and turn over engine 1 spark go to 4 /no spark go to 5

4 check resistance on stator "circular copper windings looks kinda like alternator" and pickup coil "small magnetic box next to stator" both on the left side of the engine in side engine cover/ if good go to 5 

5 Replace CDI

CDI was in fact the problem

• Like 1