Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

GaKingQuad400

2008 Suzuki King Quad 400FS Backfiring

My new KQ just suddenly started backfiring VERY loudly sometimes when I get out of the throttle at a good speed and let the motor help me to slow down along with braking. It also will make a soft backfire if I rev it up a little in neutral, and the last symptom it has is when I get it up to temp and let it idle it will purr like a kitten and all of a sudden just shut off intermittently. I already bought a new plug, gapped it, installed it and if anything it made it worse. I did have the 100 mile service done not long ago and it just turned 400 miles today so it leads me to believe that it may be running just a little lean but I wanted to run by everyone here to see if anyone else has had this happen and if so, how you remedied it.

I'm assuming this has a carb and not Fuel Injected like it's big brother...

Sounds like it's running out of fuel in the carb bowl. Has this quad sat for a little bit or have you been pretty regular riding it. It's a 2008 and they're almost at 2010 models....so it's 2 years old. Maybe the carb needs a cleaning?

I guess I should have mentioned that it has a carb but no, it hasn't sat very much at all. I just purchased it a couple months ago and ride it regularly either at the house or at our hunting lease a couple days a week. Wish I could find a clymer manual for it so I would feel comfortable removing the carb bowl to check for trash. Anybody have any links or pics on removal of a Keihin CVK32 carb?

I have pics of carbs on other 400 series atvs...which may use the same carb. I would definately invest in a manual.

It is possable that the fuel pump vacume line has a leak. If this happens, the fuel pump doesn't work well and air is introduced making the engine run lean. Assuming of corse that this machine has a fuel pump . Also if it has a vacume fuel petcock, check that vacume line as well.