Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Wheel hop traction issues on King Quad 500 axi

IDFYF8

Hey All,

This is my first post about my first quad, so needless to say, I'm a newby!

My wife suprised me with a brand new Suzuki 500 axi for Christmas and I absolutely love it, but I do have a couple of issues I need to work through.

First, the tires are ITP Terracross 26x9x12 front and 26x11x12 rear. They are 1" taller and wider than stock. Shouldn't be an issue, right?

I went through some snow covered forest roads today and discovered I'm suffering severe wheel hop on the front when clawing for traction. The stock size tires did NOT do this, but then again, they just spun (stuck) in similar conditions.

The Terracross tires just chewed down and I kept going forward. Never got stuck but I was afraid I was going to snap an axle or blow the front diff. I powered down and kept the hop to a minimum but I'm VERY uncomfortable with the setup as it is and am considering putting the stock tires back on but hate their lack of traction.

HELP. Seriously, any suggestions. I cranked the front spring settings up two notches to try to remove the severe dive this quad has, but it did not help much. The front suspension just seems WAY too soft.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Jim

What pressure do you have your tires set at. Is this climbing a hill or through an obstacle? Or are you riding on a flat area?

5 psi should be max if you have hop. Wheel hop sometimes can be avoided with throttle control. I would be off the gas as soon as it starts hopping. You can break an axel or blow a diff if you don't let off.