Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ejtaylor25

2003 ltz400 driving me crazy!!!!!

OK long story short....bike was running great no problems and i was back in the woods one day and it stalled .It wouldnt restart ,kept wanting to but it wouldnt.I towed it home.It sat in garage for a week ,i would try starting it every couple days ,it wouldnt.Then one day it fires right up.I kept starting it once a week with no problems.Then after a month same thing just wouldnt start.I but a battery tender on it for a day, then it fired right up,problem fixed i thought.So i turned it off and tried again and it just turns......IM going crazy over this thing,the battery is good.....

Any help would be super

according to ur story it seems that the starter is ur problem not the battery.......u might wanna take out the starter and get it checked to see if its still good....and if it is let me know

When you say it is not starting, is the starter motor cranking and the engine just will not start?

ok ,its such a pain just getting to the spark plug on this thing,u gotta dissasemble everything.But i will do so tomorrow and check for spark and fuel........its just weird how sometimes it fires up normal and other times it wont at all ....depends on what day i go out there to start it.

Are you positive that the battery is good? Have you had it tested? If the battery is good, then your stator may be going.

Stator generates power it can be used to run accessories or charge the battery.

It could be your valves need to be adjusted I had a 03 KFX 400 and it was doing the same thing adjusted the valves and it fixed the problem.

ok i had time to mess with it today,it has no spark....... i used a meter on the ignition coil and got nothing......so would it be the cdi??

Not necessarily, it could just be a bad kill or key switch or a loose wire somewhere. You need to find the point at which the power is lost. Trace the power from the battery to the coil and make sure to hit every point in between. Wherever power is lost lies your problem. There are several tests you can do on some of your ignition components using a multimeter. If you don't have a repair manual, get one, it will tell you how to do these tests and also is full of other important info.

i have a manual,and it said test ignition coil(if no voltage replace cdi) and that there are no specs on testing cdi, so i orderd one and try it as soon as it gets here.I hope this works,i checked for lose with and such

well i have the bike torn down and i am not getting any spark.The coil isnt getting power so i thought it might be the cdi so i ordered one and they sent me one for a 2006....it didnt fit.Soooooo i really dont know what to do now,from what ive been reading,they dont usually go bad.

The don't go bad often, that is for sure. The thing that I am having a problem with is that your manual says if you have not power to the coil, then the CDI is the problem. There are many places that you could be losing voltage. If you are losing power before the CDI, then the coil also won't have any power. I would take a multimeter, start at the battery and start tracing power throught the ignition systems at each junction point. Pay close attention, looking for damaged wires and loose connections. Make sure to chech any switches, kill switch, key switch, clutch safety switch. Good luck.

The don't go bad often, that is for sure. The thing that I am having a problem with is that your manual says if you have not power to the coil, then the CDI is the problem. There are many places that you could be losing voltage. If you are losing power before the CDI, then the coil also won't have any power. I would take a multimeter, start at the battery and start tracing power throught the ignition systems at each junction point. Pay close attention, looking for damaged wires and loose connections. Make sure to chech any switches, kill switch, key switch, clutch safety switch. Good luck.

true true!!!! i read this post all the way through to make sure!!! DirtDemon is right on! i have the same bike! it had sat all last winter with only a few short start/runs! batt was on very low chrage!!!! plenty of voltage to crank the engine but not enough to fire up your CDI box, which in turn saturates your coil, so if no CDI no spark! i have an aftermarket CDI on my bike and i can't imagine it's any different with that! when i jumped my bike with a friends BRAND NEW 400ex the bike cranked the same but fired right up! i'm into building cars too and an msd ignition box for an engine works the same way!!! If it doesn't have at least 12 volts it will not activate! it kinda threw me for a little loop at first too because it did not crank as if the battery was dead and yet i had no spark. but as i said as soon as i jumped the bike it fired right up!!! i ran the bike pretty hard that weekend after a good little warm up period and haven't had a problem since!!! luckly the batt recharged from the stator! but in your case your batt my be to far gone? if anything put your meter on the battery while cranking and see what kind of voltage you have!

sorry for the long post but sounds very familiar!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Tinscissors 428
      I have a 01 blaster kickstart won’t work but bump start does work
    • By josephnbl91
      My four wheeler when i first got it seemed like it was very slow when i first got it and it had no throttle response so i replaced the belt and cleaned all of the rollers thinking that would solve the problem from what i read on the forums. well it turned out that it wasnt. so i went to the next thing i took out the injector to check it out and i seen that there was a tiny bit of debree in it so i cleaned it and it seemed to improve a little bit. but still did not solve the problem. i later found out how to find the trouble codes out from the lcd screen using a paper clip on the diagnostic port and it showed the code which stood for no codes C00. i also forgot to mention that the throttle position censor is working perfect. before i started all of this the four wheeler ran just not to its potential. after my friend and i did the trouble code test the bike wouldnt even start anymore and the injector would spray for a few seconds for the start up then it stops and the fuel injection light comes on and blinks. the four wheeler wouldnt start anymore. i took it over to the local shop and they hooked it up to the computer to see if there was any codes and it still showed it was free of codes. they hooked it up to the fuel pressure gauge and we found that it was making 22 pounds and it should be making around 43. i then bought a new fuel pump and put it in. it now starts and runs for a few seconds and then it stalls out and the fuel injection light comes on again. which then leads me to think it is the ecu now but i want to be sure before i invest around $500 more into it. any opinions on whether or not anyone thinks this is the problem or if they have had a similar problem before would be really appreciated. sorry for writing a novel and not spelling very well. also i forgot to put the year in the title it is a 2007
    • By bradleyheathhays
      I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought.  Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping with water...

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only.  The defrost or a/c function was not selected.  It seems to be doing it consistently.  I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and sweats.  Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected?  What tests should I run?

• By Christopher Freshwater
      I just got a 750 brute force was not running been working on it all day finally got it running but rear cylinder acts like it cuts out and then starts working again and the fan does not come on
    • By Chris Cowell
      I have a 2012 yfz450r. I loaned it out to a friend now it won't start. He ruined the battery..I topped all the fluids off and try to jump it and it shows the fuel light on yet I filled the tank 3/4 full. I'm wondering if that fuel light is indicating maybe a duel problem possibly a pump or? It turns over strong and I took it apart and can't ever hear the fuel pump kick on...any ideas fellas? I sure appreciate it!

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Chayse Hill
      I have a 2003 LTZ 400 that i bought a few days ago. The quad was running fine until last night. I let my brother ride it down the street and back and i didnt notice anything etong with bike. Then my neighbors friend came over and said "can i ride it?" I said "sure" so he ripped it down the road all fine and when he got back it died right in front of us. My brother said it was dieing on him also. He also said that he wasnt using the clutch to shift. I told him he was an idiot. Im throwing that in there incase that caused a problem as well. But today i go to check it to make sure its getting fuel which it is and replaced the spark plug incase it wasnt getting spark but it is. So i started it and it was having a problem starting then i got started and was reving at idle high. So i took it around the block and it died on me a little bit down, so i try to restart it and it started so i kicked it into 1st and it kinda launched on me and started going with the clutch all the way in. Then it died right after and wasnt running right during that process and was idleing all over the place and just died and now i cant get it started it again. Before it would start without the choke or priming it. It would start real quick now i cant figure if it needs to be rejetted or something else. Air filter looks clean also. But any help would be gratelly appreciated!
    • By Racer944
      Hi Folks;
      Has anybody on here installed a winch on a 2003 Magnum 2x4? I am using a Cycle Country adapter plate (only one I could find), but am having a bit of trouble getting it all to fit properly, and am looking for someone that may have done this install and/or may have some pics of the installation.
      Thanks!
      Eric
    • By Wonderwoman
      Hello, well back to where I was last year with this carb. Took my 250 to the mountains for the first time this year and blue smoke, too much gas again. I can't believe that this carb gives me this much trouble. Seems like the choke is stuck but the cable moves freely. Anyone else ever experience this issue? Do you think a new choke cable would maybe resolve this?http://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/images/smilies/arghh.gif
      OK it was the choke. Put on all new cable and plunger and she is running 100% again. So now the question is, is the carb getting worn out where the plunger needle goes in the small hole and when I use the choke the needle end doesn't get lined back up with the hole?? We'll see how it runs and now that I know what the issue is I can always pull the choke plunger out and reinstall if I start having this issue again.
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot
    • By Wonderwoman
      I am about at my wits end. Took the 250 back to the dealer repair shop AGAIN. Had it in there two months ago for a bad smoking issue. I thought it was to much fuel and washing the oil off the cylinder and burning it. They said it was the head. So I purchased new valves, valve guides, oil seals and had the head professionally done. So $225 later I had a great looking head. Well while I had the ATV apart this far I also got new rings for the piston. Mic'd everything out and everything was in spec. Put it back together and seemed like it smoked a little at the house (5000 feet above sea level). Took it to the mountains (9000 feet above seal level) for Sept. bear hunting and couldn't use it. Smoked worse than before and couldn't run it past half throttle or it would flood itself out. So brought it back home and it is back at the shop again. I say it is something in the carb that isn't set right or wrong jet????????? Anyone have any other ideas that it could be?