Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Bike/brand of choice?

So one thing I enjoy about Quadcrazy is the amount of diversity when it comes to the bike/brand of choice.  

We all hear about so many different brands/types that we need help or helping out with! 

Myself ive had just about every brand bike except for a Suzuki which I’m currently seeking as my next project😜. I currently have 5 quads and they are all different in brand except for two Honda’s one of which is a newer bike fuel injected. I have to say so far through all the bikes I’ve worked on my brand of choice would be Honda! I think they make a great product!  I love the older carburetor bikes! 

Now I’m sure some of the other members feel differently and I would like to hear your bike of choice and why?  Wether it be the repairs, handling, look, safety, simplicity, electronics etc!!!!!!!

One of the reasons I bring this up is I have friend that recently purchased a can am new! 

I asked him why a can am after all the years of Polaris?  He said it’s a nice looking bike and wanted to try something new.

He has rode the bike three or four times and hated it!  So a trip back to the dealer he traded it in for a Polaris and he’s very happy now.  A costly mistake since he lost money on the can am but back to his Polaris that he said he will never stray again. 

Let’s hear it ! 

I've always had either Kawasaki or Yamaha in my garage. 2 strokes imo are easier to work on but comes with repairs quicker and maintenance and jetting and blah blah blah. I like the "edge of the seat" feeling. But I choose these to particular brands because Yamaha has sleek lines in the plastics and haven't changed alot over the years. And Kawasaki just because green is my favorite color. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Speaking from a repair shop's point of view, you can't go wrong with Honda or Yamaha.

Polaris is the most popular brand in our area of the country.  I see them the most.  It seems it's not a question of "if" something will break, it's "when".

My least favorite brand, other than Chinese, is Arctic Cat. PITA to work on.

In BC,  other than the cheapie smaller Mainland  Chinese offerings , the Polaris is  likely the least popular. I  don't know about  newer  models , but the older ones  gained the nickname  "Pullhairis".  It would be  hard to go  wrong with  any Honda ,  Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki if  it was kept reasonably well maintained.  One  machine that   far too  many  dismiss  as  " Chinese  junk"  but actually  is  one of the  best  is the  Kymco...  built in Taiwan..  Kawasaki ,  Yamaha  and most likely  Honda  still have  ties with    Kymco.  Kymco  originally  built parts  for  Honda  before branching out on its  own. It now  is one of the largest  manufacturers   world wide for scooters, and supplies motors and other  parts for some of the big name  Japanese  quads .. BMW (  yes ,  that  BMW) has close dealings  with  Kymco.

I  am not familiar  with  any  of the  larger mainland Chinese  made ATVs,  but I've seen  some that  look very  good.  Don't  kid yourself . The  Chinese  can  make some  cheap  junk, but they  can also make some  products that can  compete on the same level as the  best  of the world.

Edited by davefrombc
  • Like 1

Back to the topic, I,ll be a Honda fan until I die. I went to work as a mechanic at a Honda shop in Oak Ridge Tn in the fall of 69. The owner sent me to the Honda training center in Atlanta several times. Since then I have worked at a lot of motorcycle and car dealers and none have impressed as much as Honda. I remember when Japanese bikes were considered to be cheap imports. We've learned a lot since then. 

• Like 1

My  own  quad is a 1991 Honda Fourtrax 300FW, bought  used 6  years  ago. Only  major  repair I've done on it  is replaced the rear axle and wheel  hubs 2 years ago due to the splines on the  axle ends  and the wheel  hubs wearing out  ( a common  problem  on  many of the older solid rear  axle  machines). I  replaced  the  battery  a couple of years ago and replaced the brushes in the starter this year.   That's  it for repairs.

A friend  bought  a 1988 2 wheel drive Honda Fourtax 250 that had  really  been  rode  hard. The  rear axle swing  arm  and torque tube was all  cracked up..  Some   welding and gusseting with my   wirefeed  and the  machine has been  good to  go  since.  In  my opinion, you can't beat a  Honda for reliability  and  longevity.

• Like 1

I have owned Arctic Cats, I did have a Kymco Mongoose for a few years for the girl to ride, we sold it to a friend and it is still in use today. The smaller Arctic Cats of the time were Kymco based, Her first utility machine was basically a Kymco MXU, its 8 years old now, almost 10,000 miles on it and still runs well. I upgraded her to an Alterra so we kept the other machine as a backup and I use it for plowing.

Mike

• Like 1

Wow blast from the past. I remember that bike.   One of the first bikes with the new type “full floater” swing arm.  I had a friend  that only rode that and RM’s.  I remember Yamaha had the same bike color and all. 

Look at that kick starter.  It’s like 5 feet long!

I started out on a Z50 worked my way up to a cr80 to a 125. Started racing Kawasaki 250 cc class for a few years and fell in love with my first fourtrax in the late 80’s/90’s blasting through the woods in upstate NY and I’ve been Quadcrazy since!!!!!

Ok thanks for making me feel like an old man!

#relic 

Catskills around ellenville, I’ve been at the place since I’m 12.  I’m looking for a bigger piece now.  I’ve been looking for about a year now.  We love to hunt, fish and ride so I’m looking for 50+ acres. 

Hard to find what I’m looking for.   I’m headed up this weekend to look at a few places.