Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

viper0906

2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Engine Locked Up

Need help with teardown of 2001 Bayou 220.  New to atv's but not to mechanical work.  I was given this ATV and went to turn engine over by pull rope and the engine is locked up.  Pulled spark plug no change.  Was going to tear down top end.  Any suggestions or tricks before I proceed?

Greetings! New to atvs as well (and a bayou 220). Don't know how much help I'll be but does the electric start not work? or missing? Only ask cause mine turns over with tons of compression with the start button, but the pull start only comes out about 6-8" before stopping completely. I thought mine was seized as well until I got the start switch working. Just a thought. Good luck!

Welcome to Quadcrazy. I would pull the plug @viper0906 and spray some wd-40  or some penetration oil inside the cylinder head and let it sit for a day or so then warm the head up with a heat gun and try to spin the engine with the plug out.  

Hopefully the head frees up and it’s not seized.  

Also @Squirrel keep in mind that the cylinder head on the top right side has a compression relief lever that should be used when pull starting. Press the lever down and it should stay until you pull the engine cord.  

It will automatically reset it self so be sure to push it again before pulling the cord or your shoulder will be sorry! 

• Like 2

@Frank Angerano I got the Head and Cylinder off  and the cylinder off.  The piston was rusted in place to the cylinder wall.  The rings are stuck in also.  I guess I can try to hone the cylinder or should I send it to a machine shop?  Looks like I might get away with a top end kit and maybe a new sleeve?

bayou cylinder.jpg

bayou piston.jpg

piston 2.jpg

• Like 1

Oil the shit out of the piston and rings. Unless you just want to change it bc it’s torn down already. Buy a honer from the auto parts store and pop it in the drill and go to town on the cylinder. New gaskets, slap it back together with a fresh plug and fire it up!  Change the oil as well.

i just ordered a complete gasket set for that same bike $38 on amazon.

the only thing I would recommend is to change the valve seals since it’s all apart and they come with the gaskets anyway. 

great pics

• Like 1

So I have not had a chance to hone the cylinder yet but I did soak it over night in simple green and almost all of the rust came off the cylinder walls.  I will post some pictures later.  The second piston ring has freed up a little but the top ring still will not loosen up.  Any tricks on removing the stuck rings other than soaking in oil?

I have in the past put the piston in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes, taken it out and repeated the steps.  Then soak it in penetrating oil. The heat and cooling makes the metal expand and contract loosening the rings.  You can use a small torch but be careful not to keep the flame to close for to long.   

• Like 1

Added full ATV info and issue to topic title.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2000 Yamaha Grizzly YFM600FWA No Spark Swap CDI

Have a 2000 Yamaha Grizzly YFM600FWA with no spark.  Checked the troubleshooting chart, and all checks were within specs.  CDI has part # 5GT-00  F8T36071.  Friend has a 1998 Grizzly 600 but his CDI part # is 4WV-00  F8t34671.  Are they the same?  Thinking about taking my CDI and put it on his ATV and find out if it works, but don't want to damage something if not interchangeable.  Thanks

By Bubblehead, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 8 replies
    • Kawasaki Bayou 220 - No Spark

hi all first post just found forum and the manuals / wiring diagram BIG THANK YOU im struggling to find the vin number on my frame? I m told left side of frame , lower, nr. in front of the gear pedal ?? haven't found it yet , is it numbers stamped on the frame or a commission plate ?? main prob. no spark no power to coil , off to study the wiring info I've just found thanks again. tom

By tomlad, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 7 replies
    • 1995 Bayou 220 no spark issues

can someone tell me what could be the problem if the electric start doesn't turn the motor over but sparkplug fires like crazy but the pull rope turns the motor but no fire on spark plug. thanks for any advice in advance . cbbubby78

By cbbubby78, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 1 reply
    • 1988 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Issues

Evening folks I have a 1988 bayou 220 quad that has a damaged stator and been lying about for a few years. Recently I got the chance of a 1996 bayou 220 that had also been sitting for a few years so I decided I would try and make 1 good bike out of the 2. The 96 frame was rotten so I decided to use my original 88. I swapped the magneto and stator over from the 96 bike but then noticed that the magneto and stator wiring was slightly different so I decided best thing to do would be to change the wiring loom over. Having done this I ran into issues connecting my original run stop switch and push button start. The 96 loon had a connector with 6 wires where as the 88 had a 4 wire connector and a 3 wire connector. I sorted this by making up a conversion harness using the 2 looms but still the push button start would not work. I have now solved this by using some of the spare wires left beside the ignition key connectors and a relay. So now I have the engine turning over with the starter button. But sadly I have no spark. On checking the Cdi unit I have found that I have 6 wires going into the cdi unit but all the wiring diagrams I've seen only show 5 for the 96 model. The extra wire I have is a grey wire which has a loose unattached end beside the ignition switch. Does anyone know where this grey wire needs to be attached.  Thank you to anyone who has read this sorry it's so long but wanted to try and give the full story.

By nwr161282, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 1 reply
    • Bayou 220 won't start -- neutral light in every gear

The story goes, my daughter "did something" to the ATV and now it won't start. I suppose these things aren't kid proof. All I know is that the Neutral light stays lit no matter what gear, and subsequently the starter won't turn. I briefly Googled but only came across symptoms of the Neutral light never lighting up. I have downloaded the service manual from this site (thank you) but don't quite know where to attack it first. Thanks for reading.

By deckeda, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 3 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By nwr161282
      Evening folks
      I have a 1988 bayou 220 quad that has a damaged stator and been lying about for a few years. Recently I got the chance of a 1996 bayou 220 that had also been sitting for a few years so I decided I would try and make 1 good bike out of the 2. The 96 frame was rotten so I decided to use my original 88. I swapped the magneto and stator over from the 96 bike but then noticed that the magneto and stator wiring was slightly different so I decided best thing to do would be to change the wiring loom over. Having done this I ran into issues connecting my original run stop switch and push button start. The 96 loon had a connector with 6 wires where as the 88 had a 4 wire connector and a 3 wire connector. I sorted this by making up a conversion harness using the 2 looms but still the push button start would not work. I have now solved this by using some of the spare wires left beside the ignition key connectors and a relay. So now I have the engine turning over with the starter button. But sadly I have no spark.
      On checking the Cdi unit I have found that I have 6 wires going into the cdi unit but all the wiring diagrams I've seen only show 5 for the 96 model. The extra wire I have is a grey wire which has a loose unattached end beside the ignition switch. Does anyone know where this grey wire needs to be attached. 
      Thank you to anyone who has read this sorry it's so long but wanted to try and give the full story.
    • By Ajmboy
      I had to find this photo on the "archives" and was taken before smart phone were even available I believe. This was my first "new" quad I had purchased I think back in 2002 or 2004, not sure.
    • By JacobSlabach
      Hey I have a 97 bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) that i bought for 1000 last June and sunk another 1000 into it already.  When i went to look at it, the seller had warmed it up before hand (he was riding it when I got there).  it ran good so i bought it and took it home that evening... next morning it wouldn't hardly start.  I discovered the carb was clogged, there was chunks of rust in the fuel valve, the choke lever was missing and other things.  I have since cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel valve and gas lines and cleaned out the gas tank and cap.  
      Enough background on it, the problem is this:  It floods if i push it past half throttle in 4th and 5th gear even going downhill and shifting correctly.  It also has to idle and warm up when you first start it which is really annoying now that its cold...  It also smokes blue smoke for about 15 seconds when started cold-  does not smoke at all once warm but the exhaust still smells like burnt metal.  A friend told me that it didn't have enough compression.  I also found out that the valves are a common cause for low compression on Kawasakis..  I have never adjusted valves before-  the most I've ever got into a engine was a head gasket on a riding mower so I'm new to this.  My goal is to get this bike running and starting cold like a top-  should i tear down and rebuild the top end?  What should i try first?  I tore the carb apart and rebuilt it and fiddled with the air screw and nothing changed.  I also ordered a compression test kit that should be coming in soon.

Ive also considered just selling it for like $500 and taking the hit-  Id rather not sink too much more into this machine..  lol
    • By David Vance
      I just bought a 86 Bayou 300 and when it’s running and you shift into a gear the engine stalls and dies. I throttle it up little and it will run and move but the transmission slips really bad. As long as I’m just a little over idle it will move but slips with any more throttle. I’ve been reading that this is probably a centrifical clutch issue. I’ve found an aftermarket clutch for an 88 model but can’t find one for a 86. Are these the same? 
      Any help would be appreciated. 
    • By mmgood
      Hey people
      Question for all, just picked a 1986 bayou 300 thinking of going synthetic any thoughts ?