Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Sonders

KVF300 Prairie service manual

It appears that the Service Manual thread at top of forum is dead as all the links no longer work.  I'm actually looking for service manual for a 2000 KVF300 Prairie that I just picked up.  Does anybody have link to one that they can share, or know where I can find one?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Well. What kind of help do you need?. Plenty of members are very knowledgeable and can help you if you need something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, well nothing at the moment, I just like to have all info for my machines for when I do need it.  I just picked this quad up and want to familiarize myself with it.  I’m probably going to service it so I have a fresh starting point with it.

Welp I spoke too soon.  Bike isn’t wanting to run right.  Gas started pouring out of fuel bowl so i assumed float must be stuck.  I took the tank off to get to carb and low and behold it has a damn aftermarket carb on it.  Ugh I’ll probably never be able to get it to run right again now.  I took it apart and cleaned it out real well.  I noticed the float didn’t have any spring to it, while holding the carb upside down the float would go all the way up and hit on the roof of carb chamber (not sure of exact terminology here).  I bent the float base so it has some spring to it and checked fuel/air mixture screw (2.5 turns).  I put it back together and it now will only idle and bogs down/ sputters and backfires under throttle, but atleast not dumping gas out bowl.  Should I try to track down an oem carb?  That’s about the extent of my carb knowledge unfortunately.

Ok so now that you actually need help I can tell you that the aftermarket cheap carb will get you no place. It does just that, causes bogs and mis fires. 

Secondly the float should not have any spring action whatsoever.  

It works on gravity, when the bowl is low gravity kicks in and drops the bowl. When the bowl fills with gas the float raises up and closes the needle.  

Perfect position is the bowl is around  3/4 full and the float comes up and closes the needle.  

I would look for an oem carb on eBay, used should be ok and make sure it’s clean and adjusted correctly.  I think you will have to make a final adjustment on the air/fuel screw after the machine is up and running but that’s an easy task. 

Finding a used carburetor for under $150 is going to be the tough part.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273964594046

Good luck.  

It appears I got rid of the turd Kodiak and landed in another project Frank.  Yeah I’m watching one oem carb on ebay now.  Stupid aftermarket crap.  I’m not sure I fully understand how to adjust the float properly, that’s probably not helping.

It’s all good. Plenty of people here to help you along without making you feel like a dummy as some of the other forums do.  

Ask as many questions as you want. You will gat all the info you need right here at Quadcrazy.

There is a post on rebuilding a carburetor. It includes all aspects including the float adjustment. Take a look and I’m sure it will clear things up for you.

• Like 2

I’ve never had luck with aftermarket carbs. Spent more time guessing than riding. Let us know some info as you go.

• Like 1

Definitely looking for an oem carb to put back on it.  In the meantime, can anybody tell me what the round lever on right is for?  It has a spring on the other end and connects to right side of the head.  I know knob on left is the idle adjuster.  Also I need educated on the control box that plugs into the carb as well?  I’ve never seen a carb with its own wiring harness and controller.

51C16E80-3D5C-492D-A000-80335DD18179.jpeg

That looks to be a decompression valve. Do you have a pull start?

Oh duh, yes that makes since now that you said that.  Yes it has pull start.

Frank, that was a great write up on Carb rebuild.  Any insight on the carb control module on these?  Mine has a wiring harness coming off of it that appears to go to a module.  What is it's function?  I may have found an OEM carb to buy.  Once I get it I'll see what happens.  Still would really like to have a manual for this thing so I can track down where everything is supposed to go and so on.  I've found a couple used paper copy manuals on ebay, I guess I may have to break down and go that route.  Was hoping to come up with pdf file and save a little $$.

Thank you for the comment on the carburetor write up.  Depending on the years make and models it all depends.  What also matters is where the bike was sold or manufactured. For instance we’ve seen here on Quadcrazy a lot of members from the west have machines that have the air fuel screw capped off so you can’t adjust due to I would guess emission concerns.  Simple drill will fix that. Now back to the wiring/modules.  There are only a few components that go to a carburetor from what I’ve seen in my experience over time.  

1. Throttle position sensor

2. Injector

3. Carburetor warmer for colder states. 

4. Electronic choke.

Unless I’ve missed something else any other members please fell free to comment that’s all I can think of. 

Now as far as Downloading manuals there are two ways to go here at Quadcrazy. Unless something has changed you can be a paid member and have access.  Or you have to have ten or more contributing posts and it should be able to download. 

@Admin correct me if I’m wrong.  

Let me know if this helps.  

• Like 1

I think the module is for cold temps, but can’t find much info on it to verify.  After sitting for a week in the garage I’ve noticed it has an oil leak at the rear of the driveshaft housing to the rear drive.  Guess I’ll be ordering a new oil seal for that and pulling the swingarm to get to it.

I knew about being paid member or 10 post count; I just haven’t found a manual for my bike on here though.  Did I miss a section that would have it?  I looked through the post at top of the Kawasaki specific forum, but didn’t see it listed in there.

Posted (edited)

I'll have to get a pic tonight when I get home and post up.  I believe it is this seal here #92049B

oil seal.PNG

Edited by Sonders

Ok, have you tried to tightening everything first? It looks like it’s an interior seal that’s why I’m asking.  

Also I looked in the downloads and your right as far as I can see. It’s only the 400 but that manual will work fine as far as I can see. Wiring should be the same

What color wires are the ones by the carb. I’m curious so when you get home let me know.   

I'll definitely try to snug everything down before ordering a new seal.  I just found the Download section and downloaded the 400 manual.  It is pretty similar from what I've seen so far flipping through it.  It has a bit more to it being liquid cooled and mine is just air cooled, plus I don't see the control module coming off of carb on it like mine has.  In other news, I just scored the oem carb I was looking at, so should have it early next week.  I'll get back to you about wiring tonight.

Just found an operators manual online to download.  Found this interesting.  Apparently they is an (A) and (B) model.  I was wondering about that when I was looking them up before trading for it and kept seeing different front ends and racks.  I wonder if the only difference is the plastic racks vs metal racks and different headlights.

PRAIRIE MODELS.PNG

Hopefully the carb is a goodie! 

Let me know how you do and also the colors of the wires on the bottom of the carburetor. 

5 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Now as far as Downloading manuals there are two ways to go here at Quadcrazy. Unless something has changed you can be a paid member and have access.  Or you have to have ten or more contributing posts and it should be able to download. 

@Admin correct me if I’m wrong.  

Correct 👍

https://www.quadcrazy.com/announcement/16-requirements-to-access-downloads-read-here/

• Like 1

Here is the harness that runs from carb.  It has white, black, brown and black/white stripe.

0E729628-B2BC-4872-B368-8B525F139744.jpeg

That is the plug coming off of the carb.  I unplugged it from harness for picture.  I tried tracing the other end of the plug, but it runs into the main harness that is braided.