Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Tb140724

2001 Arctic Cat 500 backfiring - any advice?

i have a 2001 arctic cat 500 that has started back firing and cutting off. it seems to happen more after its been rode a bit but at no particular speed....it will crank back up but continues to try to die and back fire and eventually dies again..any advice on where i should begin looking to fix this problem????

when was the last time you rode it before this happened ? is the gas old ? have you changed plug since 2001 ?

check for a short in the ignition switch or the kill switch, make sure the plugs are in good shape first, i would put in news just to be sure. a bad connection at the battery can cause a problem like that also.

hope it helps

pontiacjim

Hi, just a suggestion but try setting the valves. I have a 2000 ac 300 and a 2003 ac 250 and once they got a few hundred miles on them I had to start adjusting the valves for hard start and backfiring.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chase Cook
      I have a Polaris sportsman 500 and I just replace the piston in rings and head gaskets on it and I made sure the timing was exactly right it's getting gas and fire but it still won't start. It sounds like it has low compression but at the same time it sucks in air pretty good from the intake. Also the valves are adjusted to spec. It did start the first time I installed the Piston and Rings but it only stayed running for 5 seconds with starting fluid and then it shut off and then I tried to turn on the next day and it didn't do nothing and I've been going at it for three weekends now and it still ain't doing nothing. I wonder if i set the timing off a little or a lot if it would start up, because I inline the crankshaft sprocket with the crankcase timing line like it said in a manual and the two points on top of the cam sprocket to top dead center of the piston. I even took the spark plug out and stuck a camera light in there to make sure it was top dead center and it still won't do anything. AlsoI drain the carburetor some and shut d fuel petcock off to see if it was getting too much gas and that still isn't the problem. And where I live all the darn mechanics that work on Polaris ATVs are booked for two weeks which sucks and I need hope immediately or I'm just going to set the ATV on fire because I'm getting very frustrated with this crappy brand. Every other name brand ATV I worked on I got it running right and I replace the piston, rings and everything etc, and they started up fine. But this is starting to get very frustrated and I don't know who to talk to who had this problem before, who "don't have to come look at it". Cuz when they say that that means you're not going to come look at it until 2-4 Weeks later because there booked, which I don't have time for. Living in northern part of Florida sucks.
    • By Chase Cook
      I have a Polaris sportsman 500 and I just replace the piston in rings and head gaskets on it and I made sure the timing was exactly right it's getting gas and fire but it still won't start. It sounds like it has low compression by the same time it sucks then are pretty good from the intake. Also the valves are adjusted to spec. It did start the first time but it only stayed run for 5 seconds with starting fluid and then it shut off and then I tried to turn on the next day and it didn't do nothing and I've been going at first three weekends now and it still ain't doing nothing. I wonder if i set the timing off a little or a lot if it would start up because I inline the crankshaft sprocket with the crankcase timing line like it said in a manual and the two points on top of the cam sprocket to top dead center of the piston. I even took the spark plug out and stuck a camera light in there to make sure it was top dead center. And where I live all the darn mechanics dot work on Polaris ATVs are booked for two weeks which sucks and I need hope immediately or I'm just going to set the ATV on fire because I'm getting very frustrated with this crappy brand. Every other name brand ATV I worked on I got it running right and I replace the piston, rings and everything and they started up fine. But this is starting to get very frustrated and I don't know who to talk to who had this problem before, who "don't have to come look at it". Cuz when they say that that means you're not going to come look at it until 2-4 Weeks later which I don't have time for.
    • By Chase Cook
      Hi I just got an Polaris sportsman 500 4x4 ATV the other day. I got it real cheap but I started to go into it because it didn't have compression so I bought a new piston and ring kit for it and installed it, but now when I try to start it all it does is shoot fire out the exhaust or the intake of the carburetor. And a timing is top dead center.;I think I can't really tell another way if it is or not. when I put it together I made sure to piston was on top and the cam lobes where facing down where are the cam sprocket is facing up. It has gas and spark. It did start a couple minutes ago but it didn't stay running and now it won't start. Do you think the valve need to be adjusted more to close better?I'm fixing to try that out and if that don't work what is the problem? Also I made sure everything was together good and right and change the oil and changed out the radiator fluid.
    • By Ryan Hutton
      Hey guys i am new to this site. i have a quadmaster 500 and last year my brother in law had it out and brought it back. When we went to put it away it wont move now any suggestions i have the belt cover off now. With it jacked up it seem to take gear when its not running.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Timothy Doerr, Jr
      Hey y'all. I have a Yamaha ymf 250 BearTracker. I got this thing for free from people whose son tore it to hell. So it wasn't in great shape to begin with. i.e. no indicator lights (neutral light for instance), no ignition switch or key( wires were twisted together to make it run), get the picture yet? 
      So when it ran it ran rough and I got it running for a year or two, just something fun for the kids to ride on with me on gravels.
      Now just randomly, the start button stopped working so I had to jump the solenoid, then put a temp start switch in. Kill switch would still work. 
      However, the thing has no spark what-so-ever. I've check continuity through the start button and it shows the contact is working, ohmed out the stator, everything is in spec, the reg/rec tested fine as well. I've replaced the solenoid on the off chance it could've been bad and the cdi unit as well, along the the little solenoid relay unit. I'm still getting no spark. The spark plugs is new as well and the coils to the plug have been tested and are good. I've tested and trouble shooted everything I can on this quad and no luck. I watched countless YouTube "no spark" situation videos and it's not helped. Does anyone have any tips or tricks I could try? Would really appreciate some input on this. Thanks!
    • By gregj49
      Blows out black smoke when you rev it up how do you adjust the carb?
    • By chevyboy
      AL righty I did some trading around this weekend and ended up picking up a few 4 wheelers for cheap. I ended up with this one for $500 in it total and well the guy told me it dropped a valve. I haven't really messed with it at all. But this weekend I am going to try and start working on it some to get it running before winter time frame. So what I am asking is a couple of questions.
      1. First off where do I start I tried pulling the pull cord and could not get it to move at all.
      2. I need to get a service manual for this 4 wheeler where can I get it downloaded for free?
      3. what do I need to look for and how do I go about this really. I do have experience with 4 wheelers but this one is a little different to me than others because its a V2 and I have no clue where to start internal on the engines. Most of my experience is on the outside portion of troubleshooting on theses wheelers.
      Please no smart butt answers as i am new to here but just wanted opinions on where to start. Please and thanks wink: