Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

NEED HELP 05 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 problem!!!!

bones

My 2005 500 TBX 4x4 has only 400 miles on it, and it is down AGAIN!! This time when I start it, fires up, idles fine, warm it up, and get it out of barn, and give it gas, NO POWER!! It starts to back fire, and flat out barly goes over 5mph. Changed the plug, cleaned the carb, but still no good. I hope that someone has had this problem, or can point me in the right direction. The closest dealer is far away, and I dont have 2-3-400.00 dollars to take it to a dealer. If someone has any ideas, or has a question, PLEEAASE let me know. Thanks.

you can either take your gas tank off and empty it in to a pail, or shut the petcock off and remove the fuel that way in a line into a container. the fuel lines will come off by twisting them sideways back and forth as you pull at the ends where they connect. probably there are no clamps holding them on, just friction fit. just blow thru the lines to make sure they are clear and you can use something the same inside diameter to remove any scale.

you might also want to unscrew the petcock and make sure the fuel screen isn't clogged also....

I really appreciate your help, but I don't know what a petcock is. Is there a link, or a website, that explains this, since I don't expect you to sit and try to explain in type. But if there is a link, or you know where this is already explained, that would be a big help. Is the petcock like a fuel shut off valve maybe? I do know where the fuel lines go into the non-electric fuel pump, and there are no clamps there I don't think. I think there is one from the tank, and 2 to the engine, 1 to carb, and one vac. I believe. I have a Artic Cat repair manual, the online version, but there is very limited info on the fuel system, in regards to the fuel pump. Maybe I will try YouTube, and get lucky, unless there is a better site that you know of. Thanks for youre help.

Edited by bones
typo

• 1 month later...

The first problem is that usually some part of the carb was put together wrong, the plug if fouled, or the gas is bad. I usually siphon out the gas from the tank I know 06 and up is not gravity fed by guess is the 05 falls in the same boat so the is no fuel shut off.

Put some new gas in it and run the required mix of sea foam in the gas and let it idle for a while to work its way through the carb then check and clean the plug. At least that is where I would start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...