Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

joseph

1990 Suzuki LT 4wd need help running issue

my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted

Possible air leak. Improper air filter/ dirty. Air fuel screw at wrong setting.
What's the year make and model

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

its a 1990 suzuki lt4wd ,i have tried every thing when it first started it ran like a 4cyl. would when only 1 cyl was fireing then it would clear up when i worked the throttle now it just only will run at a idle runs smooth at idle

It really sounds like a fuel issue.  Have you checked the fuel tank for any blockage ? Maybe dirty filter if there’s one in place as well as a clogged fuel valve at the bottom of the tank.  Also could be dirty carburetor problems.   I would start from the ya k down to the carb and go from there.  

Something was possibly missed. I’ve done it plenty of times. I’ve rebuilt my carb and put it all back together just to find something that was over looked.  It happens. Secondary looks do usually turn up the culprit  and if not then at the very least it completely rules out that portion of the problem. 

thanks for advice but i have checked fuel flow even hooked up another tank so it would feed carb by gravity,also i bought a after market carb it does same thing iam not driving the atv its just sitting there in neutarl is there any thing electrical that could cause this? i sure appreceate the help i tried going to the suzuki forum site but after joining couldnt figure out how to ask a question cant even log in anymore its crazy how complicated that site is so i hope you guys can help me i have cleaned tank new fuel shut off new fuel lines new vacume line to fuel pump new coil new spark plug new plug wire new coil rebuilt carb set float

E brake switch off? My kfx and my banshee have a rev limiter when it's on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Your spark may be breaking down as the RPM’S come up.  This happened with my Polaris which had a rev limiter on it also.  

So @06kfx440 may have a point.

I was pointed in the direction of a faulty rev limiter on one of my bikes through the forum here. 

I purchased this spark tester and put it in line with the spark plug. Started and watched the spark break down/fail as I reved the bike.  I removed the rev limiter and my problem was solved.   Worth a shot and cheap enough to try. It’s also a good tool to have.  

Having ruled out the fuel system it may be time to start looking in the ignition system.  

Rev limiter

bad pick up coil 

stator coil problem

regulator

cdi box  

4 of the 5 above listed parts can be tested and the repair manual will explain as far as how and what numbers should be shown on the tester during this process. 

I attached  a pic of the spark tester. 

F5844F48-ACEF-4CD9-A89D-679349639777.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/2/2018 at 3:33 PM, joseph said:

my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted

Is that the compression reading before or after adjusting valve  just wondering 

not sitting around a lot compression 188 after valves checked they where actually ok also i had put after market air filter on it because putting carb on and off so much this atv is tough to work on with front and rear fenders on

was just wandering because this would indicate bad gas or gummed up carb as most others have pointed out its either gas or electrical related

Added ATV info to topic title and moved to Suzuki ATV forum. 😁

My bet would be coil related or fuel starvation.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 2005 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 won't start

Hi guys, trying to get a quad running again. It was running fine but the electric start did not work. My uncle was using it and the pull start snapped. So I replaced the pull start and electric starter motor. Now it just cranks and cranks but will not start. I have spark, I have fuel to the carb, I know this is a 2 stroke with a separate oil tank, what else should i check?

By TheJester517, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 8 replies
    • tgb blade, 425cc no spark

Good afternoon, or morning. I have a three-year-old TGB blade 425Cc
      that appeared to just die. I have had ongoing problems with the battery going flat the past year, replacement battery seem to resolve it, then it started again. Therefore I've been using a much larger battery and jump leads. At the weekend whilst using it to tow a trailer (it works on a smallholding). It stalled and refused to start thereafter, checking all the fuses, including the sneaky one. They appear all to be fine. No breaks or burns, lights or work starter motor turns, information panel seems to light up and give me clear information regarding fuel and other things. Removal of spark plug highlights there was no spark, testing of spark plug highlights that spark plug works. I have looked for a manual as the general information given at the point of sale is woefully poor. I have looked online for guidance and have seen a variety of similar issues highlighting that a compilation of components need to be all replaced, whilst another person refutes this. I've checked fuel which it is three quarters full, no fuel leak or blockage appears to be in existence. Therefore with my basic knowledge, I have ground to a point where I don't know where to proceed. There does not appear to be a kill switch within the system, other than on the right hand brake lever, which needs to be engaged prior to pressing the ignition button. I am aware that the cable that is fitted into this section is adrift, and looking at it consists of two thin strips like a fork tongue, which can be inserted back into location. I am aware that this was damaged some months ago and has been adrift, so I am not sure if this is the causal factor, as it is unlikely, as until recently. Apart from jumpstarting, The wee Beastly thing was working. Does anybody have any insight. I have checked it for broken wires, damp, and living in North Devon, England. We are prone to mist, which in reality is low. Cloud as we are 750 feet above sea level. WD-40 is part of my took kit  in this location.

By graham.froom, in General Talk - Anything Goes!

• 2 replies
    • 2001 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Engine Locked Up

Need help with teardown of 2001 Bayou 220.  New to atv's but not to mechanical work.  I was given this ATV and went to turn engine over by pull rope and the engine is locked up.  Pulled spark plug no change.  Was going to tear down top end.  Any suggestions or tricks before I proceed?

By viper0906, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 8 replies
    • Atc200es NO SPARK

Hello everyone.    I am in desperate need of help as I am at my wits end with this machine.   I have a friends 1984 ATC200ES Big Red that has no spark.   Here is what has been done so far.  CDI replaced,  coil replaced, complete pulse generator assembly including the rotor/advance.    New plug. Stator checks good and has good voltage when spinning No matter what I do, I can get no voltage from the pulse generator.  I have set the gap anywhere from .010 to .020.  I have tested the ohm reading and it has 36 ohm between the blue wire and the green wire.  What is the proper way to test the pulse generator with the engine spinning?   I have been told to disconnect it from the harness and it should have approximately .7-.9 volts AC.    I have nothing.   I have also tried a 1.5V incandescant bulb across those 2 wires and the bulb doesn't even flicker. Does this have to be connected to the harness with the CDI box inplace for it to create any voltage?     It seems to me that it should create its own current when spinning where its a magnet passing a coil.    What am I missing here? Any help with this will be Greatly appreciated. Thank You Gene

By Gene Giddings, in ATC 3-Wheeler Forum

• 1 reply
    • Quadzilla XLC 500 Engine Issues

While riding my Quadzilla XLC 500 I was cruising along about 60 mph then opened it up, but once I hit 70-75 mph it died on me so I rolled to a stop and it wouldn't start for about 20-30 seconds. I then noticed the Temp light occasionally flashes on but its so quick you wouldn't notice in the day so not sure how long its been happening. The engine has started pinging when I accelerate which can be caused by many things so I drained the fuel and replaced with hi octane, fitted a new spark plug, adjusted the little washer on the high jet in the carb twice to make it run more lean which made no difference.  I tested the thermostat which opens at the correct temperature, I removed the radiator cap and started the engine and no bubbles were showing and the oil is on maximum and very clean as I have not long serviced it. The last time I took it out I went 14 miles and the coolant in the bottle has dropped about 1/2". I am now leaning towards a head gasket and have purchased a full gasket kit but was wondering if there's anything else it could be before taking the engine apart.

By Zilla28, in General ATV Discussion

• 11 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content