Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

I have a gentleman that asked me to service his bayou for him.  I have always wondered what oil should be used in atv engines?  Pros?  Cons?  What weight should be used in what type of weather?  Is there one kind that I could bulk buy and safely used in any quad I worked on or owned?  What about performance?  Engine Life?  This has always been a 🤔🤔🤔 area for me with quads as far as why you would use one type of oil over another....

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A wet clutch 4 stroke engine oil. The cheaper you buy oil is how quick it will break down. Not to say that price has something to do with it. But I guess quality of oil makes the difference. Sent fr

on my 4 strokes I always used Valvoline. Its now like this:   Amazon has it for a pack of 6 but if you find it at walmart its cheaper. Here's an older topic on this oil  

10W-40 Synthetic ATV/UTV Engine Oil

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ajmboy said:

on my 4 strokes I always used Valvoline. Its now like this:

Amazon ATV Oil

Amazon has it for a pack of 6 but if you find it at walmart its cheaper. Here's an older topic on this oil

what weight is that?

3 hours ago, 06kfx440 said:

Depends on the machine. Wether it's 2 stroke or 4.
Klotz, marvels mistery oil, yamalube, I've heard of people using gear oil as well. I personally like Lukas because it lubes like no other oil.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I was referring to 4 strokes

On 2/23/2019 at 1:08 PM, JacobSlabach said:

ok thanks!  Do you think 30w small engine oil would do ok?  And if not:nah:, why not 

sorry missed this post. I would not use 30w small engine oil and specifically stick with ATV type oils because of the additives they use. Depending on what type of quad you have, those additives are important for the clutches and such.

A wet clutch 4 stroke engine oil. The cheaper you buy oil is how quick it will break down. Not to say that price has something to do with it. But I guess quality of oil makes the difference.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 8:07 PM, mike costa said:

I also have a 300 bayou, here in Redding CA we are expecting it to be over 100 degrees all week and it is not uncommon for it to hit 110. with our higher than average temps, would any of the previous posters have a different answer?

@mike costa, i would be confident in the Valvoline oil i run in all my machines..  you might try something thicker for your temp- im not an expert so i dont know exactly how all that works..  i run the Valvoline atv/utv 10w/40 as mentioned above in all my atvs and so far havnt had any issues.

• 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Machias_Mike
      Hi there!
      We just bought 4 acres and needed a work rig for moving stuff around and blazing trails. Been looking at buying a quad for a long time and finally got the opportunity.  Found a very good condition 1994 Kawi Bayou 300 4x4.  Runs great and seems to be in great operating condition with one little thing.
      The unit seems to have an issue with reverse.  Previous owner did tell me about it and its totally usable but the issue is annoying enough that I want to try and fix it.  Im pretty mechanical oriented so don’t think this will (hopefully) be too much of an issue.  I bought the kawasaki shop manual on ebay and should be here next Friday but wanted to get a head start on it.

The issue seems to be similar to this post but I think may be more mechanical than just the switch.
      https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/14281-1994-bayou-220-neutral-safety-switch/

Here goes!

Neutral light is always on when key in on position I found that the green wire coming out of the block from neutral switch is grounded to chassis.  When plugged in to switch light never turns on no matter what gear its in (and wont start). Machine can go from 1st directly into Reverse if you don’t feather it.  This is the part that that makes me want to fix it.  I feel like its dangerous and could possibly do some damage.  It usually takes 3-4 tries to 'find' neutral.   The reverse turn knob seems to be operable and cable is connected and operates the reverse 'selector' when turned.  Springs back when released both at the switch and at the 'selector' inboard of the shifter. When in reverse the red reverse light does not illuminate Based on above and looking at the post above it seems that this would indicate that the reverse stopper is 'broken' and rotated in an 'in gear' position.  I see a few posts on here where people have said it can crack.  If I plug the green wire back in and turn machine to 'on' I can move the shifter through all gears and the neutral light and reverse light stay off.  Again, to me it seems that the 'reverse stopper' is probably broken, stuck where the switch thinks its in a forward gear and the shaft is probably just spinning inside it.

Am I on the right track here?
      I wanted to get a head start on this and looking at parts diagrams it looks like the part number for the 'reverse stopper' is 13091-1443, found one on ebay for $30 shipped.  I hate buying parts before tearing it down but if this is the likely culprit I would take a $30 gamble to buy it so I can have it on hand when the manual arrives.

The other question I have which I hope is an easy answer is none of the parts diagrams I have found show the bevel gear gasket part number.  Can anyone tell me what the part number is for this?

Many, many thanks for the info and I promise to post pics once I have it apart.

• By ATVNetwork
      When looking for ATV rack storage, one of the industry leaders in this category is Kolpin. They make some pretty cool ATV accessories. The ATV Matrix Seat Rack Bag is one of these pretty cool and must have accessories for your ATV. If you like to hit the trails and want to bring some stuff with you, this is the bag to have for the ride!
      The ATV Matrix Seat Rack Bag is a perfect bag for your rear ATV rack and offers maximum storage in a compact design with an integrated padded back rest style seat, for added comfort. It fits most ATV racks using reinforced buckles, has a 3-piece zippered bag design and an included center cooler, which can keep up to a 12-pack of beverages cold with room for additional stuff for the ride. 
      Constructed of 600 denier nylon with exclusive Hydro Shield UV coating to prevent dirt and mud from impregnating the fiber while Rhino Armour reinforcement is included in all high wear areas, which provides extra durability for all that trail riding. The bag below is the black version and it's available for $114.99 on the Kolpin site but if you hurry, you may be able to snag it for less! Here's a couple of options on where to get it now:
      Buy it on Amazon for $99.99
      Buy it on Bike Bandit for $114.99

Overview & Specs
      Durable 600D Nylon construction with Hydro Shield™ and UV coating Exterior shock-cord for smaller items (2) water bottle holders that zip closed when not in use 57 liters of accessible storage Reinforced buckles allow for easy on/off of most ATV racks Padded backrest and seat pad for added comfort Overall Dimensions 32" x 22" x 11" and Side Pod Dimensions: 16" x 6" x 8" Color: Black or Camo Weight: 8 pounds  
      Are you into CAMO, is your ATV plastic camouflage? You can get the Kolpin Matrix ATV Seat Bag in Mossy Oak too! Best price we found is $109.99 from Amazon

Check out this great video review by the ManzanoMan Adventure Youtube Channel

View full post
    • By oxidized_black
      these are what i have in my collection ... always looking for more
      1985 - 1995 Polaris All Models Service Manual
      1996 - 1998 Polaris All Models Service Manual
      1996 - 2003 Polaris Sportsman & Xplorer 500 Service Manual
      1996 - 2003 Sportsman 400 & 500 ~ Xplorer 500 Service Manual
      1999 - 2000 Polaris All Models Service Manual
      2001 Polaris 90 Service Manual
      2001 Polaris Scrambler 50 ~ 90 Sportsman Service Manual
      2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO Parts Manual
      2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 Parts Manual
      2002 - 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 & 700 Servive Manual
      2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual
      2003 - 2005 Polaris Magnum 330 Service Manual
      2003 Polaris Predator 500 Service Manual
      2003 Polaris Predator Parts Manual
      2003 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 Service Manual
      2003 Polaris Trail Boss 330 Service Manual Part I
      2003 Polaris Trail Boss 330 Service Manual Part II
      2003 Polaris Trail Boss 330 Service Manual Part III
      2004 Polaris Predator 500 Owner's Manual
      2004 Polaris Sportsman Owner's Manual
      2005 Polaris 400 & 500 Sportsman Service Manual
      2005 Polaris 700EFI Owner's Manual
      2005 Polaris 800EFI Owner's Manual
      2005 Polaris Sportsman 400 Parts Manual
      2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 Parts Manual
      2005 Polaris Sportsman 6x6 Owner's Manual
      2005 Polaris Sportsman 700EFI & 800EFI Service Manual
      2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 Twin EFI Parts Manual
      2006 - 2007 Polaris Outlaw 500 Service Manual
      2007 Polaris 700 800 800x2 EFI Service Manual
      2007 Polaris Ranger 700EFI 6x6 Parts Manual2007 Polaris Ranger 700 4x4 & 6x6 Service Manual
      2007 Polaris Ranger XP 4x4 Service Manual
      2007 Polaris Sportsman 450 & 500EFI - 500X2EFI Service Manual
      2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 800 - 800EFI Service Manual
      2008 Polaris Sportsman 500EFI & 500x2 Service Manual
      2008 Polaris Ranger 6x6 700EFI Parts Manual
      2008 Polaris 800 RZR Service Manual
      2008 Polaris Sportsman 700x2 - 800EFI - 800 Touring Service Manual
      2009 Polaris 850HD EPS Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Outlaw 450 & 525 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Outlaw 90 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Predator 50 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger 2x4 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger 4x4 Crew Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger 500 2x4 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger 500EFI 4x4 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger 500EFI 4x4 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger 700 4x4 Crew Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger 700 4x4 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger INTL Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger RZR 170 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Scramber 500 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Sportsman 300 & 400HO Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Sportsman 450 & 500X2 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Sportsman 6x6 800 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Sportsman 800EFI & 800EFI Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Sportsman 550XP Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Sportsman 850XP Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Trail Boss - Trailblazer 330 Service Manual
      2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Service Manual
      2011 Polaris Ranger RZR S Service Manual
      2011 Polaris Ranger RZR SW Service Manual
      2012 Polaris Sportsman 400 Service Manual

Visit the Polaris Service Manual Section: https://www.quadcrazy.com/files/category/7-polaris-atv/ 
    • By oxidized_black
      Victory VIN Decoder @ Motoverse.com
      CycleVin.com - Use Our Off-Road Vehicle Search to look up ATVs and more!
    • By James Roscoe
      What is the best block off kit to delete the oil injector on a 1992 Polaris Trail Boss 250 4x4. I have already disconnected it but I need to remove it so it doesn't grenade the engine. Thanks for the input.