Quantcast

Honda Fourtrax bring back from the grave

eh sorry- computer issues up there:wacko:  meant to say yes that looks like the head on my bike

so thats literally exactly how i checked timing- t mark on the flywheel and marks on the cam sprocket.  I'm thinking the tensioner is shot letting it jump time or the valves are incorrectly adjusted.  btw, I was wondering how you find certain info in the service manuals?  I find it hard to find the info I'm looking for and get lost lol

Keeping an eye on this thread, I will love to see you get it all up and running again how it should be. I really like the Fourtraxx but couldn't afford one and ended up with a busted up Suzuki LT250 but shes well on the mend now. I have to replace the barrel next to stop her burning so much oil! maybe then I can make some money and invest in a Honda (preferably a 4x4 but not sure how much Id benefit from it as Ive never needed it with the work I do)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ok so took the head off and found that i had indeed timed the cam to the 'F' mark which is exactly one tooth ahead of the 'T' mark on the flywheel.  re timed it back to the 'T' mark and as i was putting the head back together noticed that the intake rocker arm is worn where it contacts the cam lobe.  not sure if this really matters a lot but i did check the valve clearance at tdc and intake was 004 and exhaust was 006.  Was looking fir a new gas tank as thats the next issue..  a replacement is around $200..  the one I have has paint flakes and A LOT of rust flakes in it.  was wondering about cutting it in half. cleaning and graniding the iside down and welding it back together?  looking for advice on that..  so far I haven't put any parts into this machine but I know that it needs new brake and choke cables..  had to cut the old ones out with bolt cutters just to get the bike to roll.

What’s the year ?

If that tank is in solid condition structurally then I would make up a tip for your compressor with maybe a 16 inch long piece of flexible copper  tube and pinch the tip a little for better pressure.  Angle the copper as needed to get inside.  Stick it in the tank and blow the sh** out of it. Hit all sides and the bottom and creases as best possible. Then fill it half way with boiling hot water, add Dawn kitchen dishwashing soap put the cap on and shake the tank good.   Spill it out and rinse it all out good with a hose.  Blow it out again to get the rest of the junk and water out.  Then hit it with a hair dryer on hot so all the water inside dries up and creates no rust.  Spray the inside all around with WD 40 and let it sit a day.   

I would put a quarter tank of gasoline in it put the cap on and swish it around and dump it into a clean bucket and see if you get any more flakes or dirt.  

A trick  we've often  used to  clean small   tanks is to  put some pebbles or  marbles in them  and  give a good shaking to  knock  any rust, scale or other solids loose ..  Shake out the rocks and crud. and have a look.  If there's still  build  up  in there,  do  it again.  Finally  rinse it out  and thoroughly dry.  It would be a challenge to  cut  a tank  in  half to  clean  and weld it back together. Unless  you're very skilled and the tank isn't too  thin you'll  make  nothing but a useless mess out of it, A  welding shop would charge you more than the cost a  new tank  to  do they job  if you  could even  find one to take it  on.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By p5200
      The studs in the sprocket hub are stripped out. The hub is probably walloed out also. Probably will have to have a new sprocket hub. I doubt I have the ability nor the tools needed for this job. Thanks for all suggestions/opinions! 

20240225_155255.mp4   20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4