Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Flipper Tiffany Roper Jones

Polaris 500 sportsman give it gas stalls

All I have been through everything. Bought brand new.

Throttle safety switch 

Cam and rockers

ECM

Carborator

Stator

Fuel safety switch 

Battery

Everything every forum has spoken of I've bought sealed airbox completely tight unplugged black wire on trans. I have literally done everything in the book.Checked oil today full of gas anyone no anything what might b wrong. Next I'm taking head off and making sure valves seat any ideas.

A leaking valve isn't going to fill the oil with gas. Plus you can check valve leakage with a leak down test with the head on.

I would be looking at the carb. The needle and seat is not working right and I bet the seat of the needle is leaking. I posted about this problem recently on here in the Polaris forum. Booth units I had that problem with were Polaris 500's.

Be sure to pull the oil drain plug on the bottom side of the crankcase to drain the oil from the crank case. Just draining the oil from the bottom plug of the oil tank will not empty the crank case that is full of fuel.

No it starts and idles perfect but when you give it gas it starts backfiring through the card horribly bad and it takes it forever to start keep turning it over it will pop a few times then it will eventually start and idle smooth as rain until you hit the gas replaced everything you can think of still same thing and its perfectly in time I don't understand it how can you do bleed off to check the valves with a compression tester

No that's the only test I haven't done yet been reading all the forums so figured that stuff was what was wrong its doing same exact thing so didn't put much thought I have checked time and its smack dab on so I'm stuck besides compression check and make sure valves are seated. I have a top end gasket kit just blows my mind cause any other 44-wheeler main jet or sec jet is clogged I went over this one with a tooth brush so not sure where I went wrong 

I’m sure your pretty much stumped with this but there are really only a few ways fuel can get into your crank case.  

Stay positive, do a compression test and see what it looks like.  

Go from there. 

Turning it over should not fill your crankcase. Believe it or not that seems like a hell of a lot of compression. Cam timing verified?

• Like 1

If that compression is what your showing the the only way at this point for fuel to get into your crank case is from a carburetor leaking fuel into the cylinder head and it’s making its way down the cylinder walls.  It has to be. Maybe separate the carburetor from the engine leaving it completely hooked up but pulled away from the manifold connecting it to the cylinder. As if it were in place but pulled a bit away from the engine.  See if you  notice any gas dripping out of the carb where it connects.  I would put a small piece of cardboard under it since cardboard shows moisture right away when it’s wet with the dark brown spots.   

Not too sure about your make of quad but the Yamahas have a mikuni carb.  The brass plug which contains the seat has an o-ring around it which breaks down eventually.  This causes fuel to bypass the needle and seat and can flood the carb.  Notice any fuel in your air box?  Also the high compression readings make me wonder if you are partially hydro-locked.  If possible pull the seat out and check for that o-ring.  It happened on my 03 Kodiak.

Edited by Laval
spelling errors

It's a brand new carburetor I went through it tho everything is where its supposed to be. Gas is in the oil from turning it over so much and it not starting takes forever for it to start its weird. Has plenty of spark hi ass compression perfectly in time just makes no sense at all.

Had a similar issue with a Kawasaki once.  Crankcase is full of gas as a symptom of hard starting, so that's easily resolved once it starts correctly.  That compression is also a bit high so that's odd.  It's either a carb issue or bad plug. If you haven't replaced the spark plug yet, do that.  That ended up being the issue with my Kawasaki.  The plug wasn't firing hot enough under compression. 

You said new carb, I assume chinese carb?  Those are ok but hard to tune.  Sounds like wrong jets.  i've used 4 chinese carbs this month and jets were way wrong in all of them.  I had one stamped 95 that was NOT a 95, it was more like a 115.  Could also be the idle air screw wrong, float wrong.  Try checking the float level and using the OEM jets if they will fit.

Edited by MarkinAR
grammar

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By jwline
      Friday evening went riding, rode for a good hour or so everything was fine. I went to take a short ride to the restroom (less than 100 yds away) and all of the sudden everything flickered and then just died out. Accompanying the problem I noticed the killswitch completely locked up. Once daylight hit took the killswitch apart to find it had shorted out and melted the plastic inside. Has anyone else had anything similar to this and if so what did you do to fix the situation? I have a new killswitch on the way to replace the obvious problem but was wondering could there be a bigger issue at hand. We tested with a voltage meter to make sure everything was still getting power from the battery and as far as we could tell it was.
      Any advice/info would be GREATLY appreciated.
      Thanks.
    • By bodon
      Anyone know what the fuse terminal marked UNSWITCH  does  .  Even with the key off it is causing a drain on my battery and I'm trying to figure out  what that terminal goes to.  It's a 10 amp fuse. If I pull it the "short" goes away.  Thanks in advance.
    • By Outkast7222
      Had a spark-plug break off, had to pull the head to get it extracted. Where the heck is the timing mark on the crank? Do I need to pull the stator or flywheel to find it? When I pulled the head I had the mark on the cam lined up pretty good but I cant remember if it was perfect and don't want to reassemble a tooth off and have to go back through the bear of pulling this thing back apart.
      Thanks guys!
    • By Chase Cook
      Hi I just got an Polaris sportsman 500 4x4 ATV the other day. I got it real cheap but I started to go into it because it didn't have compression so I bought a new piston and ring kit for it and installed it, but now when I try to start it all it does is shoot fire out the exhaust or the intake of the carburetor. And a timing is top dead center.;I think I can't really tell another way if it is or not. when I put it together I made sure to piston was on top and the cam lobes where facing down where are the cam sprocket is facing up. It has gas and spark. It did start a couple minutes ago but it didn't stay running and now it won't start. Do you think the valve need to be adjusted more to close better?I'm fixing to try that out and if that don't work what is the problem? Also I made sure everything was together good and right and change the oil and changed out the radiator fluid.
    • By Brian Sosebee

I just rebuilt my 03 sportsman 400. Put everything back together added oil per the manual. Pinched off the oil tank vent line 2" away ran for 45 seconds then cut it off. Check oil level and it was still way high so I wasn't confident that it primed so I did it again. Checked again and it's the same. Remove the oil filter and it is dry. I did the procedure again and the same results.

I'm worried to keep trying this as the only oil in the engine is what I used to lubricate the parts when reassembling the piston. The crankcase was drained as well.
      I Removed the oil tank and checked all the lines for obstructions and the screen filter and the vent hose and everything is clear. I even pulled a small vacuum on the oil tank while it was pulled off to make sure there were no leaks. The dipstick cap was on tight so I'm not sure why this thing is not priming.

Anyone have any suggestions. I thought about pre-priming the oil lines from the oil tank to the crankcase to hopefully help the system prime. I'd like to be able to add some oil to the crankcase to so I wouldn't feel so bad about running the engine for another 60 seconds without oil. I dropped just a little bit of oil in the spark plug hole to help condition the sleeve right now.

What do I do? Anyone had or heard of an oil pump failure on these. Btw oil pump is working fine before I did the top-end rebuild and the oil pump was not touched.

Please help!!! Thanks all for any and all help.